Creamy Roasted Pumpkin Soup is a delicious and comforting bowl of sunshine to warm you up on a cool fall/winter night! It's a thick, super tasty and satisfying soup packed with goodness of roasted pumpkin, freshness of sage and richness of coconut milk. A feel good creamy soup recipe you would just want to make it again and again!
Winters are on roll and calls for soother to keep one’s body warm and comfortable. Warm soups are one of them! One cannot forget to play with pumpkin for creations in the kitchen during fall or winters, agree?
Come fall and we love to make these different recipes with pumpkin on repeat: bread, pancakes, cheesecake, side dish, curries and soups. Pumpkin tastes slightly sweet and has earthy flavor like any other winter squashes.
The beauty of this humble fall veggie is, it picks up any flavor beautifully to mingle with, and get dressed up in a new form. One such form is this simple, hearty and easy roasted pumpkin soup with coconut milk, an ideal light meal loaded with fall and winter flavors.
About this roasted pumpkin soup
This Roasted Pumpkin Soup is delicious, thick and creamy soup flavored with sage, onion, garlic, and coconut milk. It's healthy, wholesome, and comforting soup with warm pumpkin flavors perfect for fall evenings and chilly nights!
We prefer to keep this creamy roasted pumpkin soup recipe super simple, and easy to follow. You can prepare this soup with basic ingredients, pretty much what you have on hand. Plus, it is gluten-free and can be made vegan and dairy-free with just one swap.
The best thing about this soup is, you don't have to spend hours over the stove to get your meal done! Just dice up the veggies, place all of them on the baking sheet pan and let the oven do its job. No mess and so less clean-up!
The only bit of time you need to keep patience with, is roasting the pumpkin. Once the process is done, the soup comes together in just 2-3 minutes, its that fast!
This creamy soup made with roasted pumpkin, sage and coconut milk has velvety texture and carries deep flavors in bowl for you to just dive right in and enjoy! My recipe for this winter soup has everything it needs. It checks all the boxes for the easiest and the best soup recipe!
Give this delicious soup a try for your weeknight winter dinner. Let’s get started with how to make it…!
*For more delicious and healthy winter dinners, try these easy winter soup recipes:
Pumpkin: A star ingredient of this soup recipe. Fee free to use pre-cut fresh pumpkin cubes to save on time.
Olive Oil: Use a good quality olive oil for delicious flavor and taste.
Onion and Garlic: The must ingredients - to balance the sweetness of pumpkin and ramp-up the flavor of this soup.
Sage: Fresh, earthy and strong herb thats pairs perfect with pumpkin. Thyme and rosemary would be delicious too.
Butter: Provides rich and buttery to the soup. Skip, if you are a vegan!
Seasonings: Salt and freshly ground pepper for savory hints and red pepper flakes for that little spicy kick! Sugar is optional though.
Coconut Milk: A necessary ingredient that adds richness and enhances overall taste of this soup.
Vegetable Stock: I used my homemade vegetable stock for this recipe. Use low sodium chicken stock or broth for deeper flavor if you are a non-vegetarian.
How to make roasted pumpkin soup?
Pre-heat the oven at 400°F (200° celsius).
1. Place pumpkin cubes on a rimmed baking sheet pan, and drizzle with olive oil. Toss, and arrange them in a single layer. Roast for 20-25 minutes.
2. Carefully take out the sheet pan, spread diced onion, garlic cloves, roughly torn sage leaves and butter cubes. Pop it back into the oven and roast for another 20-25 minutes or until pumpkin is soft.
3. Now, transfer all the roasted ingredients to a high-speed blender along with sugar, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, coconut milk and vegetable stock.
Blend until smooth and creamy. If desired, you can adjust the consistency to thin down the soup by adding more coconut milk or stock.
Dish out, garnish with some more coconut milk and crisp butter fried sage. Serve warm with garlic cheese toast or croutons and some side dish or salad on side.
As we are roasting pumpkin along with other ingredients for this recipe, I do not recommend using homemade or canned pumpkin puree. Roasting deepens the flavor of the squash in this soup.
For variations: Feel free to throw in some extra produce like carrots, sweet potatoes, apples, potatoes or cauliflower along with pumpkin while roasting. Nuts like almonds, and cashew nuts would be great addition too!
FAQs + Storage
You can use any eating pumpkin variety to make this soup. Sugar pumpkin is best and most commonly used. Further, you can use any type of pumpkin or squash you like - Hokkaido pumpkin (red kuri), kabocha squash, butternut squash, acorn squash would all be good and the soup would be just as delicious!
Transfer the leftover soup to a clean container and store up to 4 days in the fridge.
To freeze: If you plan to freeze this soup for a meal prep, I recommend blend everything (except coconut milk) until smooth and cool completely. Transfer to a clean airtight container in portions and freeze up to 3 months.
To reheat: Thaw the soup in the fridge, reheat in the pot on stove top or in microwave until warm through. Add coconut milk and heat for another 1-2 minutes, and serve!
Ready to eat your meal? Top your soup bowl with your favorite garnish, we love to drizzle a bit of coconut milk, pepper flakes (optional here), and crisp fried sage (we loved it in our butternut squash pasta). You can also top it with some crunchy peanuts, or toasted pepitas / pine nuts.
Serve this yummy roasted pumpkin coconut soup with crusty garlic croutons or toasted sourdough with cheese, bruschetta and even avocado toast for a heartier meal. Enjoy the soup along with sides like sweet potato fries, crispy roasted brussels sprouts, asparagus or cauliflower or other delicious side dishes you like.
You might also like
If you made my recipe for creamy soup, please be sure to rate and review it below! I always love hearing from my readers and take your suggestions into account.
If you are looking for more delicious and easy recipes delivered straight to your inbox, you can sign up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook to see more of my kitchen creations.
Roasted Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- 2 pounds Pumpkin (peeled and diced in ¾-1" cubes)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion (diced)
- 6 large Garlic cloves (or 8-10 small)
- 4-5 Sage
- 2 tablespoons Salted Butter
- ½ teaspoon Sugar
- ¾ teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (adjust the amount as per you like)
- 1 cup Coconut Milk (at room temperature)
- 1½ cup Vegetable Stock (preferably warm)
- Pre-heat the oven at 400°F (200° celsius).
- Place pumpkin cubes on a rimmed baking sheet pan, and drizzle with olive oil. Toss, and arrange them in a single layer. Roast for 20-25 minutes.
- Carefully take out the sheet pan, spread diced onion, garlic cloves, roughly torn sage leaves and butter cubes. Pop it back into the oven and roast for another 20-25 minutes or until pumpkin is soft.
- Now, transfer all the roasted ingredients to a high-speed blender along with sugar, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, coconut milk and vegetable stock.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. If desired, you can adjust the consistency to thin down the soup by adding more coconut milk or stock.
- Dish out, garnish with some more coconut milk and crisp butter fried sage. Serve warm with garlic cheese toast or croutons and some side dish or salad on side.