South Indian Rava Upma Recipe | How to make Upma (Suji Upma) Step by Step. Upma – is a popular south Indian breakfast recipe from made with rava. Rava is also known as semolina or sooji (suji) in hindi. It is an easy rava upma recipe ready under 20 minutes. This sooji upma makes an ideal tiffin recipe for kid’s lunch box as it is a healthy choice and so delicious too. In restaurants, upma is usually served with coconut chutney or peanut chutney.
So, today on the blog is is traditional south Indian rava upma recipe, popular not only in India, but now even worldwide. There was a time when I never liked upma during my childhood or college days. But after coming to Bangalore, I started developing taste for it. Now it’s one of my favourite meal to go when I just don’t want to cook anything rich or full meal with dal rice roti and sabzi.
Upma is my husband’s favourite too. Most of the time when I am out of idea to cook, he says “let’s have suji upma for a meal today”. This dish is also known as Uppittu or Uppamavu here in Karnataka.
Here I have seen, people usually make suji ka upma using Bombay rava or fine sooji. There are few fixed ingredients we have to use to get that authentic south Indian upma taste. Also, you will find few variations of upma recipe as well. Apart from this simple upma recipe, the addition of tomato makes it tomato upma. Furthermore, we can add veggies which makes it as delicious and healthy vegetable upma recipe.
In most of the South Indian restaurants, uppittu is served along with kesari (sooji halwa south Indian style) known as chow chow bath.
Ingredients used to cook upma recipe:
Talking about the ingredients, few spices are a must to cook upma. i.e mustard seeds, curry leaves, urad dal, chana dal and cashew nuts. If you are allergic to cashew nuts, then just skip it.
Main component of this recipe, of course is rava or semolina. The other seasoning ingredients are ginger, green chillies, onions, salt, sugar and lemon juice.
If you notice I have also used couple of veggies,.i.e carrot and peas, as it was our lunch meal. Isn’t that the addition of veggies makes it a complete comfort lunch, a perfect vegetable upma? Indeed, it does :). If you wish, you can skip veggies, no any such rules to add vegetables is a must.
Next, I have used ghee to make this sooji upma, but you can use refined oil as well. However, ghee gives more enticing aroma and taste to upma. Also, if you want a vegan option then, skip it and use oil.
Lastly, coriander leaves are used for garnish.
Tips to Make best Rava Upma Recipe:
If you like to eat soft and melt in mouth, do add exact 3 cups of water to 1 cup of rava. This will give perfect softness to the upma preventing it to get dry.
Another important thing here is, roasted semolina gives fine taste and earthy flavour to the recipe. So, either use the roasted semolina which is available in grocery stores. Or, you can roast it just prior to making upma. I always choose to roast semolina in ghee, so never opted to buy roasted ones from the grocery shop.
Do serve this hot rava upma along with chutneys and hot cup of filter coffee. Mark my words, this combination is a heaven.
Now, quickly let’s head on to How to make rava upma at home
Some more breakfast recipes, you might love to try:
South Indian Rava Upma Recipe | Sooji UpmaPrint
Rava Upma Recipe- is a popular south Indian breakfast recipe from made with rava/semolina/suji. It is an easy breakfast recipe ready under 20 minutes. This sooji upma makes an ideal tiffin recipe for kid’s lunch box. Here is How to make upma at home.
- 1 cup, rava (semolina/sooji)
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, slit or chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 3 tablespoons, carrot, finely chopped (optiona)
- 3 tablspeoons, green peas, (optional)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 12-14 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 teaspoon chana dal
- 8-10 cashewnuts
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons ghee/oil
- 3 cups of water
- lemon juice as needed
- coriander leaves for garnish
To make upma:
- In a kadhai or pan, heat 1/2 tablespoon ghee or oil.
- Now, add 1 cup of semolina or rava and roast is for 2 minutes on medium taking care that it doesnt burn, once roasted well, it will release nice roasted earthy aroma. Transfer it on a plate.
- In a same kadhai, heat remaining ghee. Add mustard seeds and allow it to crackle. Now, add chana dal and urad dal and fry for 30 seconds until just golden, do not burn
- Add cashew nuts and fry for another 30 seconds, until just golden. Add curry leaves and chillies, fry for 30 seconds.
- Now add onions, grated ginger, salt and mix. Fry until soft and pink.
- Next, add peas and carrot and fry on high for aminute.
- Add 3 cups of water and mix. Bring to a boil and add sugar, lemon juice, mix
- Now, carefully and gradually add raosted sooji/rava stirring continuosly to avoid any lumps. Mix well
- Next, allow it to cook for a minutes such that rava absorbs all the water.
- Now, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes on low heat. This helps to steam the upma well.
- Add coriander leaves and mix. Delicious soft Rava Upma is ready to serve.
I have added 3 cups of water for 1 cup of suji(rava)here. This ratio gives soft melt in mouth upma. However, if you wish to make upma little less soft, then go ahead with ratio of 1 cup sooji to 2.5 cups of water.
How to Make Upma Recipe Step by Step (Suji Upma)
- In a kadhai or pan, for roasting rava, heat 1/2 tablespoon ghee or oil.
2. Add rava (semolina) and roast is for 2 minutes on medium taking care that it doesnt burn, once roasted well, it will release nice roasted earthy aroma. Transfer it on a plate.
3. In a same kadhai, heat remaining ghee. Add mustard seeds and allow it to crackle. Now, add chana dal and urad dal and fry for 30 seconds until just golden, do not burn
4. Add cashew nuts and fry for another 30 seconds, until just light brown. Add curry leaves and green chillies, fry for 30 seconds.
5. Now add chopped onions, grated ginger,salt and fry until soft and pink.
6. Next, add peas and carrot and fry on high for aminute.
7. Add 3 cups of water and mix. Bring to a boil and add sugar, lemon juice, mix
8. Now, carefully and gradually add raosted sooji/rava stirring continuosly to avoid any lumps. Mix well
9. Next, on a medium flame, allow it to cook for a minute such that rava absorbs all the water.
10. Now, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes on low heat. This helps to steam the upma well.
11. Add coriander leaves and mix. here, you may add lemon juice also, if you wish to. Delicious soft sooji upma is reday to serve.