Onion Tomato Chutney is a delicious spicy tangy South Indian chutney dip of onion, tomato, red chilies and coriander leaves. It is an integral part of south Indian breakfast to go along with dosa, idli, uttapam, vada, upma, pesarattu, appam, paniyaram and pongal. This lip smacking chutney will make you fall in love with it forever! Because, it is different, easy and super duper tasty!
This onion tomato chutney pairs very well with chapathi as well as steamed rice. If you looking for dosa chutney without coconut or idli chutney without coconut, then it is a must try red chutney.
You will definitely go crazy over it. While there are number of ways to make chutney, one way of making it is I am posting below. Here is how to make onion tomato chutney recipe at home.
Onion Tomato Chutney Ingredients:
The recipe calls for fewer ingredients. This simple recipe gives such an irresistible outcome to enjoy with dosa, idli, chapathi, rice and so on. Primarily, we need good quality tomatoes and onions, which has to be roughly chopped.
Then, we need dried whole red chilies, oil, coriander leaves and salt. Yes, these are the only ingredients we need to make chutney. I have not temepered the chutney, but, you can surely opt to temper it with mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal and curry leaves.
Again, I would say the same thing, tempering is not at all needed for this chutney. Trust my words! And, follow the recipe to the 'T' to make best onion tomato chutney recipe.
Further, the chutney stays very well in a refrigerator, upto a week or freeze in portions upto 3 months.
Important Tip to make Onion Tomato Chutney:
- In order to get the best result, always, select good firm, red, juicy ripe tomatoes for this recipe.
- Secondly, red or brown onions are the best choice to go ahead with. However, you can use small shallots as well. But, please be sure to use equal measure of onion to tomato in weight.
- Particularly, I use red Kashmiri chilies for the recipe. But, you can use any spicy variety chilies to make spicy onion tomato chutney recipe.
- If you wish to, you may add tamarind for more tanginess. But, I would highly recommend to go ahead with what the recipe says below. Addition of tamarind will change the taste of chutney altogether. However, you may still go ahead and use it.
How to Make Onion Tomato Chutney step by step
💓 We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories !
Have you tried this “Onion Tomato Chutney Recipe“? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.
You can also FOLLOW me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes and updates.
Onion Tomato Chutney Recipe
to prepare tomato onion chutney:
- 3 Tomatoes (medium sized, cut in cubes)
- 3 Onions ( medium sized, cut in cubes)
- 5-6 Dry whole red chilies
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves ( roughly chopped or torn)
- Salt to taste
- 1 ½ tbsp Oil
- In a pan, add tomatoes, onions, red chilies, and oil, mix well and place it on heat.
- Cover and cook until tomatoes onions are soft and mashable, it will take 10-12 minutes.
- Once cooked well, cool it completely.
- Add the onion tomato mixture in the blender along with chilies, green coriander leaves and salt.
- Blend it to fine paste.
- Onion Tomato Chutney for dosa, idli, vada and uttapam is ready to serve.
Amazing is too mild a word!!! This chutney has NO WORK & yet, the taste is superb. Thank you Farrukh. Soooo much! 🌹
Loved this rice preparation.. simple and flavorful. Really love this chutney 🙂
very nice chutney recipe, i made to eat with idli, it was yummy and spicy, thank you ma’am
Thank you so much Anita, am happy you liked it very much. We enjoy this chutney with idli dosa vada alot 🙂
What bright vibrant and tasty looking chutney. Recipe is so easy. Thanks for sharing