Sweet and spicy raw mango chutney recipe is also known as Aam ki Launji. A delicious Indian relish of raw green mangoes is cooked with jaggery and spices. The chutney makes a perfect accompaniment or side dish to Indian meals.
Raw Mango Chutney (Aam Ki Launji)
Sweet, spicy and sour, all in one! Yes, these are the three taste that describes aam ki launji (or aam ki meethi chutney) perfectly. So, basically, it is a raw mango relish made along with jaggery or gur and various spices.
When summer arrives, you will see lush of various raw green mangoes and ripe mangoes in markets. And, as far as I know, no Indian homes will keep themselves away from relishing and making variety of recipes using mangoes. Out of those dishes, one such dish is raw mango chutney recipe.
There are so many other names given to this chutney from different region. Kancha Aamer chutney from Bengal, Chunda in Gujarat, Bellam Maagaya in Andhra or like how we call it as kacchey aam ki meethi chutney in our home and list goes on.
With very slight difference, in every part across the country, people thoroughly enjoy this sweet mango chutneys with their everyday meals, especially during summers. But, essence of accompaniment is same in every home.
Storing The Mango Chutney
Aam ki Launji is always made in big batches and stored in clean jars for months. And, undoubtedly, you can store it upto an year in freezer. It is must make for every simmer without fail.
Raw Mango Chutney Ingredients
- Raw green mangoes – Good firm raw mangoes makes the best sweet chutney in taste, texture as well as colour. You can either cut them into cubes or simple grate it and go on ahead with the making.
- Jaggery – Powdered or whole jaggery broken into pieces, you can use either of them.
- Spices – Fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, nigella seeds.
- Red chillies – Whole dried chilies as well as red chilli powder, both goes into the chutney. You can modify the magnet of chilies as per your preference.
- Vinegar – A couple of teaspoons of white vinegar or apple cider vinegar goes in the chutney. The addition of vinegar increases the shelf life of the chutney and you can store it for longer period than usual under refrigeration.
- A pinch of asafoetida (Hing)
Tip: Sometimes, I do add few leaves of chopped fresh mint or pudina to the sweet chutney. Addition of mint leaves adds great refreshing flavour and aroma to the chutney.
Serve sweet Mango Chutney With
I love to eat it with dal chawal or khichdi. Moreover, this sweet mango chutney taste best with parathas and puris, when served during breakfast. Not only with dal rice but, you can serve it as an accompaniment to any vegetable curry and rotis/phulkas or rice.
Some of the best chutney recipes you may wanna try:
How To Make Raw Mango Chutney – Step by Step
To begin with, heat oil in pan or kadhai.. Add panch phoran mix, dried red chillies and fry for seconds until aromatic.
Add raw mango cubes and sauté on high for a minutes.
Then, add water, salt and red chilli powder, mix and bring it to a boil. Cover and cook until mangoes softens
Add jaggery and mix. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until it melts and mixes well.
Finally, add vinegar and mix, cook for another minute. Cool and store it in clean airtight jar. Aam ki launji is ready to serve.
💓 We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories !
Have you tried this “Raw Mango Chutney Recipe“? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.
Aam Ki Launji Recipe Card
Raw Mango Chutney
- 500 gms Raw Mango Peeled and grated or cut in cubes
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 4-5 Dried Red Chilies
- 1.25 cups Jaggery (you can increase it for more sweetness)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Nigella seeds (Kalonji)
- A pinch of Hing (Asafoetida)
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 3/4-1 cup Water
- Heat oil in pan or kadhai. Add panch phoran mix, dried red chillies and fry for seconds until aromatic.
- Add raw mango cubes and sauté on high for a minutes.
- Add water, salt and red chilli powder, mix and bring it to a boil. Cover and cook until mangoes softens
- Add jaggery and mix. Cook until it melts and mixes well.
- Finally, add vinegar and mix, cook for another minute.
- Cool and store it in clean airtight jar. Aam ki launji is ready to serve.