Bread Roll is an easy Indian snack recipe that we all love regardless of we being vegetarian or non vegetarian. Yes, I am talking about universally loved and so tasty snack called potato bread rolls. This insanely delicious deep fried aloo snacks recipe will indeed make you to yearn for it more and more, you bet! Here is how to make bread roll recipe step by step.
Basically, the bread rolls are spicy seasoned boiled potato stuffed in moist bread slices and then fried to golden and crisp. Usually made using white bread slices but, you can go ahead with brown bread or whole wheat bread too. Although you can use whole wheat bread too, I highly recommend to use white bread slices only.
These beautiful crispy potato stuffed breads has tasty filling of mashed potatoes and spices. Additionally, only if you wish to, you can add green peas as well. Though I haven't used peas here, soon I shall be sharing, the veg bread roll recipe that has mixed vegetables in it.
These are our must make snacks recipe for iftar. So, do not forget to add it to your Ramadan recipes list this coming year :). If you see in the recipe below, I have made this bread roll recipe using the technique where we use clean muslin cloth or hand kerchief.
The other technique of making bread rolls by hands is also a popular method. Furthermore, i have not snipped off the edges here as i like the crispness it gives to the bread rolls. But, you are free to snip the edges off and proceed.
This stuffed potato bread roll recipe
- is easy
- can be made vegan (use vegan bread)
- freezes well for good 3 months
- can be baked
- is perfect for breakfast, kid's snack box, evening tea time or as an appetizer
- can be air fried
Potato Bread Roll Recipe Ingredients
The recipe of aloo bread roll uses very few basic ingredients available in our kitchen. Of course, the main ingredient is the boiled and mashed potato. Then, next comes the fresh ingredients, i.e. onions, green chillies, coriander leaves, mint leaves (pudina leaves).
Dry spices includes crushed coriander seeds, cumin seeds, garam masala powder and some chaat masala along with some salt, thats it. If you wish to make it spicy, then increase the amount chillies in to it and vice versa.
The preparation of bread roll is absolutely simple and easy. If you have leftover boiled potato in your fridge, then, these rolls will be ready in 20 minutes.
Bread Roll Stuffing Variations
- Potato and Peas
- Mixed vegetables of choice (carrot, cabbage, cauliflower, beans, zucchini, beetroots and many more)
- Mutton mince
Can we store or freeze bread roll in a freezer?
Yes, we can freeze these stuffed rolls in a freezer for good 2 months. Mostly during Ramadan, we make these in bulk and freeze them. To freeze them, place all the rolls onto a lined tray or plate with the gap of an inch at least and freeze for 2 hours. Once they are frozen enough, gather them and store in clean zip pouch or air tight container.
How to make bread roll recipe in an air fryer?
To make it in an air fryer, once you are ready with the rolls, pre heat the air fryer at 180 degrees for 10 minutes. Then, arrange the bread rolls in an air fryer basket and brush it with oil. Bake it for 15-18 minutes or until, golden and crisp. Keep in mind to flip it once in between after the 7-8 minutes of baking.
Can we bake the bread rolls?
Yes, we can bake these rolls in preheated over at 200 hundred degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Do not forget to brush the rolls with oil before, putting it into the oven. So, you will have lovely crisp baked bread rolls at home
Bread rolls makes a perfect evening snack with a cup of tea. Serve these aloo bread roll with green chutney or ketchup along with a hot cup of tea. These rolls makes an excellent starters /appetizers or snacks box meal for your kids. In every way, these aloo bread roll recipe is just fabulous.
On weekend, for vegetarian Indian Meal with family, the combo of this potato stuffed rolls or Matar Kachori for starters, Paneer Pasanda as a main course and Kala jamun as a dessert works just fabulous. Or if you prefer it to be a non veg menu, then Egg curry with rice or Chicken tikka masala with naan
Some of the best Snack Recipes you may want to try:
How to make bread roll recipe with step by step pictures
to make stuffing for bread rolls
To begin with, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. While the oil is heating, add cumin seeds and allow it to crackle. Then, add chopped green chillies and fry for another few seconds
After the cumin and green chillies releases its aroma, then add chopped onions and fry until soft and pink. Once the onions turns pink and raw smell goes off, take it off the heat, Then, allow it to cool completely.
As the onions cools off, in a large, add boiled potatoes. Along with potatoes, add corinader leaves, mint leaves, corinader seeds, garam masala powder, chaat masala, salt and cooled onion chilli mixture.
Combine everything together very well to form the stuffing of the roll. Then, divide the stuffing into equal small lemon sized balls.
to make stuffed bread rolls
Now, take one bread slice and dip it in water for just a second.
Then squeeze it well flat between the palms and place it gently onto a clean wet muslin cloth or cotton hand kerchief.
Next, then place the stuffing mixture ball in the center.
Carefully, bring the edges together along with the cloth (like a money bag) and squeeze it to seal the stuffing within. You see, like how it is shown below in picture. Do not over squeeze it or it will tear the rolls.
Now, open the cloth and take the stuffed roll out.
You will see a nice, round potato roll is ready.
Now, repeat the same for the remaining slices and mixture balls.
to fry bread rolls
Once all the rolls are ready, then heat enough oil in kadhai or deep pan.
Gently, slide in the stuffed rolls and fry them until golden and crisp. Repeat the same for all them.
Crisp and tasty aloo bread roll is ready to serve.
💓 We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories !
Have you tried this “Bread Roll Recipe“? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.
Indian Bread roll recipe card
for preaparation of bread roll:
- 15-16 White bread slices
- 6 Potatoes (medium size, boiled and mashed)
- 2 Onions (small size, finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2-3 Green chillies (finely chopped)
- 1.5 tsp Coriander seeds (roasted and crushed)
- 3 tbsp Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp Mint leaves
- ½ tsp Garam masala powder
- 1 tsp Chaat masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Oil ( )
- Oil (For Frying)
to make stuffing for bread roll:
- To begin with, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan.
- While the oil is heating, add cumin seeds and allow it to crackle.
- Then, add chopped green chillies and fry for another few seconds
- After the cumin and green chillies releases its aroma, then add chopped onions and fry until soft and pink.
- Once the onions turns pink and raw smell goes off, take it off the heat, Then, allow it to cool completely.
- As the onions cools off, in a large, add boiled potatoes. Along with potatoes, add corinader leaves, mint leaves, coriander seeds, garam masala powder, chaat masala, salt and cooled onion chilli mixture.
- Combine everything together very well to form the stuffing of the bread roll. Then, divide the stuffing into equal small lemon sized balls.
how to make bread roll:
- Now, take one bread slice and dip it in water for just a second.
- Then squeeze it well flat between the palms and place it gently onto a clean wet muslin cloth or cotton hand kerchief.
- Next, then Place the stuffing mixture ball in the center.
- Carefully, bring the edges together along with the cloth (like a money bag) and squeeze it to seal the stuffing within.
- Now, open the cloth and take the bread roll out.
- You will see a nice, round potato bread rolls is ready.
- Now, repeat the same for all the slices.
to fry aloo bread rolls:
- Once all the rolls are ready, then heat enough oil in kadhai or deep pan.
- Gently, slide in the rolls and fry them until golden and crisp. Repeat the same for all the rolls.
- Crisp and tasty stuffed bread rolls are ready to serve with chutney or ketchup