Vegetable cutlet is a crisp and absolutely delicious easy Indian snack recipe of veggie mixes, paneer and spices. Dip these cutlets into your favourite chutney or sauce and savour the blissful flavours. Either you bake it in an air fryer or an oven, deep fry or shallow fry it, these veg cutlets will never disappoint you. Here is how to make veg cutlet recipe step by step.
Why just rely on chicken or fish cutlet when you can have the yummiest veg cutlet as well. Also there must be few of you who would not be in great favor of having the chicken patties. So, especially for you all I decided to come up with this very amazing cutlet recipe.
Besides, these makes a perfect tea time snack or solves the purpose of starters beautifully for any weekend parties or get together. Furthermore, these delicious veg patties are a great appetizer to serve the guests and can be taken in Iftar as well.
Do you know that, this veg cutlets can makes a perfect crisp patties for veg burgers? Indeed, yes! Or just, slide them between the buns along with chutneys and sauces to make vegetable sliders as well.
This lip-smacking cutlet is a great idea to introduce veggies to your kid's diet. Furthermore, these are perfect to make their way to kid's lunch box menu or kids party. Serve these veg patties with mint coriander chutney or ketchup along the side.
Cutlets are basically patties or cakes made out of any veggie or mixed vegetables, paneer, corn, tofu, lentils, mushrooms, chicken, lamb, beef, fish or shrimp or anything you love.
Vegetable cutlet can be turned into a vegan veg patties by simply swapping the paneer with tofu. You can go on ahead by coating the patties with flour batter and bread crumb coating Or cornflakes, vermicelli, or semolina (rava).
Personally, I love deep fried veg cutlets. But, diet conscious folks and weight watchers can opt to either bake them in an air fryer, or oven or can pan fry these.
To make veg cutlet recipe, you can personalise the choice of vegetables to suit to your taste or preferences. Did I tell you that, you can also swap potatoes with sweet potato or plantain as well. Yes, you can!
These veg cakes, are stuffed with loads of proteins and vitamins and coated with crispy crumbs. The blissful flavour is something that we should not miss. This veg cutlet recipe will probably be the easiest, best and tastiest snack you will be trying. You bet!
There is a different nature and taste of everything we make back at our kitchen. This Indian snack recipe is probably the most predictable and trusted item. Thus kids do not deny it having with ketchup right after their classes. Or husband wouldn’t be denying it with a cup of hot tea and comfort at home.
So, do not miss to add these veg cutlets to your Indian vegetarian snacks recipes list. Whenever, you think of making any vegetarian recipes for snacks, undoubtedly this cutlet recipe will be a winner.
Veg Cutlet Ingredients
As we are making mix vegetable cutlets, we will be using mix of veggies into it. For that, we need cabbage, carrots, beetroot, green peas, capsicum, onions, mashed potatoes.
In addition to vegetables, we are using paneer (Indian cottage cheese) also. In fact if you wish to, you can add mushrooms and tofu also instead of paneer, to this vegetable cutlet recipe.
The binding agents here in this recipe is the bread slices. If you want to make cutlet without bread then just swap it with either thick poha or roasted besan.
The other spices that we will be using here are green chilies, coriander powder, cumin powder, dry mango powder (amchoor) or lemon juice, salt and pepper and oil.
Finally, for coating the patties, we will require, maida (all-purpose flour), water, salt and pepper, bread crumbs and oil for frying.
However, to avoid bread you can use crushed cornflakes. Or simply coat the patties with semolina or rava and pan fry it.
Freezing these Veg Cutlets
The good news is, you can freeze these in a clean zip pouch for good 3 months. Once you are done coating it with the bread crumbs, freeze them 2 hours on a tray an inch apart from each other.
When these cutlets chills well, pop them into an air tight container or zip lock bag. The pre-chilling won’t let the cutlets stick to each other when placed back in freezer.
You want to serve it to your guest or you want to indulge into snacking on it? So, whenever you wish to, you can simply pick out each frozen cutlets and directly fry them into hot oil on medium high flame. Needs no thawing at all.
Oven Baking the Vegetable Cutlets
To bake these, simply lay them on to a baking tray. Brush them with oil from both the sides. And then bake them in a preheated oven at 200 degrees for 25-30 minutes from both the until golden brown. Do not forget to flip them carefully after 15 minutes of baking.
Baking the Cutlets in Air Fryer
Pre heat the air fryer at 200 degrees for 5 minutes. Brush the net basket with some oil. Lay the cutlets in single layer and brush them with some oil from both sides.
Pop the basket into air fryer and bake it for 18-20 minutes at 200 degrees. Crisp air fryer vegetable cutlet is ready to binge on.
- Cheesy Veg Fingers
- Easy Aloo Chaat Recipe
- Matar Aur Paneer Ke Kabab
- Jodhpuri Mirchi Vada
- Chicken Cutlets
- Bread Rolls
- Paneer Kabab
- Chicken Pakora
- Mutton Keema Samosa
How to Make Veg Cutlet Recipe - step by step
To prepare cutlet mixture
First, heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan. Then, add onions and fry on high heat till it turns pink. (photo 1)
Now, add beetroot, green peas, carrot, cabbage and sauté well on high heat for a minute. Cover and cook for a 2-3 minutes (photo 2)
Then, add capsicum, and green chillies and mix well. (photo 3)
Add garam masala powder, roasted cumin powder, coriander powder, salt, pepper and mix well. Now, cook for 2 minutes (photo 4)
Then, add boiled potatoes, lemon juice or amchoor and mix very well. Cook for another minute. At the same time, stir to avoid burning. (photo 5)
Mixture for the cutlets should be dry and everything should get combined well. (photo 6)
Take it off the heat, transfer on to a large bowl or plate and allow it to cool completely. (photo 7)
Meanwhile, put the bread slices in blender or chopper and give it a pulse to make it crumb. Combine cooked mixture, paneer, bread, milk, coriander leaves, mint leaves, salt and pepper. (photo 8)
Finally, mix everything together very well to form a mixture.
Once the mixture is ready, take a portion into your palm and shape it into a cutlets like tikkis or patties. Since there is no specific shape, you can make it of any shape, as per your choice. Similarly, make the cutlets patties from the remaining mixture. Refrigerate them for 30 minutes, this will make the patties firm. However, you can skip this step and go ahead with coating them.
To coat the cutlets using semolina (rava):
If you wish to make the cutlets without using bread crumbs then you can go on ahead with this method. Coat each patty with semolina (rava) from both the sides. (photo 1 & 2)
Shallow fry them on hot oil on medium flame from bite the sides until done. (photo 3 & 4)
To coat the veg cutlet using bread crumbs:
Firstly, In a bowl combine all-purpose flour, salt and pepper to taste and water. Now, mix well to form a batter of cream consistency that coats a back of the spoon. It should not be too thin or too thick. Now, dip the patty in the batter. (photo 1)
And, then coat it very well with the bread crumbs. (photo 2)
Again, dip the patty into batter to double and then coat with bread crumbs. Similarly, repeat the same for all the veg patties. Refrigerate these for another 30 minutes. (photo 3)
Note: At this stage it can be kept in a freezer to freeze them for storage. Now, to freeze the cutlets, place the patties onto a lined baking tray and freeze it for 2 hours. Then, gather them all and store in a zip lock pouch or airtight container and place them back into a freezer
Heat enough oil in deep pan or kadhai. Gently, slide in the cutlets into the hot oil. Deep fry on medium high flame until golden and crisp. (photo 4)
Take them on to a absorbent paper. Similarly, fry all the veg cutlet. Serve the vegetable cutlets warm and crisp with sauce or chutney of your choice.
💓 We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories !
Have you tried this “Veg Cutlet Recipe“? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.
Vegetable Cutlet Recipe Card
To prepare veg cutlet recipe
- 200 gms Paneer ((Indian cottage cheese), grated)
- 1 cup Cabbage (finely chopped/shredded)
- ½ cup Carrot ( finely chopped/grated)
- ½ cup Beetroot (grated)
- 1 cup Green peas
- ½ cup Capsicum (finely chopped)
- 4 Potatoes (large size, boiled and grated/mashed)
- 1 Onion (large size, finely chopped)
- 3 Bread (slices or ¾ th cup thick poha)
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 2 tbsp Mint leaves (fresh(chopped) or dried)
- ¼ cup Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 2-3 Green chilies (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Dry mango powder or Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp Milk
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp Oil (30 ml)
To coat the vegetable cutlet:
- ½ cup All-purpose flour (Maida )
- Water as required
- Bread crumbs as required
- salt and pepper to taste
- Oil ( for frying)
How to make cutlet
- First, heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan.
- Then, add onions and fry on high heat till it turns pink.
- Now, add beetroot, green peas, carrot, cabbage and sauté well on high heat for a minute. Cover and cook for a 2-3 minutes.
- Then, add capsicum, and green chillies.
- Next, add garam masala powder, roasted cumin powder, corinader powder, salt, pepper and mix well.
- Now, cook for 2 minutes
- Lastly, add boiled potatoes, lemon juice or dry mango powder and mix very well. Cook for another minute. Mixture should be dry and everything should get combined well.
- Take it off the heat, transfer it on to a large plate or in a bowl and allow it to cool.
- Now, put the bread slices in blender or chopper and give it a pulse to make it crumb.
- Combine cooked veggies mixture, paneer, bread, milk, coriander leaves, mint leaves. Add some more salt and pepper of needed.
- Mix everything well to form a cutlet mixture.
- Take a portion into your palm and shape it into a cutlet like tikkis or patties. Cutlets can be of any shape, as per your choice.
- Repeat the same for all the mixture and shape them into patties. Refrigerate the tikkis for 30 minutes.
To Coat Veg Cutlets With Bread Crumbs
- In a bowl combine all-purpose flour, salt and pepper to taste and water. Now, mix well to form a batter of cream consistency that coats a back of the spoon. It should not be too thin or too thick. Now, dip the patty in the batter
- And, then coat it very well with the bread crumbs.
- Again dip the patty into batter and coat it again with the crumb. Repeat the same for all.
- Refrigerate the cutlets for another 30 minutes.
To Deep Fry The Cutlets
- Heat enough oil in deep pan or kadhai.
- Gently slide in the cutlets and deep fry them in hot oil on medium high flame until golden and crips. You can also shallow fry the patties.
- Similarly, deep fry the remaining patties
- Take them on to an absorbent paper.
- Serve them warm and crisp with sauce or chutney of your choice.
To Air Fry The Cutlets
- Pre heat the air fryer at 200 degrees for 5 minutes
- Brush the net basket with oil.
- Brush the patties with oil on the both sides
- Lay the patties in a single layer
- Bake them in air fryer for 18 minutes at 200 degrees or until golden and crisp. Flip it once in between after 9 minutes of cooking.
- Addition of paneer is totally optional, you can skip it.
- Just the spices as per to suit to your taste.
- If you wish to avoid the bread crumbs, swap it with thick poha for cutlet mixture
- For coating, you can also use, crushed vermicelli or cornflakes or simply coat the patties with semolina (rava) and shallow fry them.
- Do not fry cutlets on very high flame in smoky hot oil, fry them in hot on medium high flame.