Tomato Chutney - an essential part of South Indian cuisine, is delicious tangy, sweet and spicy chutney of tomatoes cooked with spices. Therefore, this gluten free, vegan bright red tomato chutney recipe pairs best with rice, chapathi, parathas, pulao, dal-rice and even khichdi. It take flat 20 minutes from start to finish and indeed you can't resist this spicy goodness to devour it with your every meal. Here is how to make tomato chutney at home.
During my childhood, I remember, my neighbourhood aunty, who hails from Hyderabad which was part a part of Andhra then, always made this tamate ki chutney. And they relished it with khatti dal rice or khichdi or just with chapathi.
For quite a long time, I was curious to know, what is this tamate! One day, I finally asked her about and she explained its tomato chutney and they call it tamate in hyderabadi style, lol!
Well in Tamil Nadu it is called a thakkali chutney with slight variation in cooking, where I have seen them mostly adding fresh tomato puree instead of chopped tomatoes. In north, we call it as a tamatar ki chutney. Sometimes back i have posted bhuney tamatar ki chutney recipe, which is also a super yummy spicy chutney to enjoy with bajre ki roti during winters.
Usually, when me make simple hearty quick veg pulao, we pair it with this chutney and that taste is bliss! If you add little water to make it a slighty curry-ish, it turns into tomato gojju, which is basically a south Indian style tomato curry
How to make tomato chutney recipe?
The recipe of tomato chutney is absolutely simple and easy. Firstly, heat oil and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves. Then add ginger garlic and onions and fry well. Once these fry well, the we have to add tomato, salt and spice powders and simmer for few minutes. Finally, we need to add jaggery, tamarind as flavour enhancer and cook for a minute.
If you want to make it extra spicy then increase the amount of green chilies as well as red chilli powder. I have used Kashmiri red chilli powder as it less in spiciness and great in giving colours to the dish.
The addition of tamarind and jaggery gives a well balanced tanginess and sweetness to the chutney making is extremely tasty accompaniment. Furthermore, if you wish to make no onion no garlic tomato chutney recipe, then indeed you can skip both of them from the recipe and go ahead with the rest 🙂
How to Store Tomato Chutney and can we freeze it?
Definitely, it can be made in a bulk and it stays very well upto 10 days in a refrigerator in a clean airtight container. Also, you can freeze this spicy tomato chutney in portions, if you wish to. Before using it, just thaw at the counter and reheat it in microwave or on stove top. The spiciness of the chutney can be adjusted as per your liking.
Most noteworthy, always use best firm red ripe tomatoes to make this recipe. An important tip, if you wish to store it for longer period of time, i would highly recommend you to add little more oil, which act as a preservative to the chutney.
How to make tomato chutney recipe step by step
- To make tomato chutney recipe, firstly, heat oil in a pan. Then add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves and fry for few seconds
2. Now, add garlic and ginger and fry until aromatic and garlic get golden, do not burn
3. Then add green chillies and onions and fry on high for a minute or two until soft and pink
4. Now, add salt, tomatoes and fry on high heat for another 2-3 minutes
5. Add red chili powder, turmeric powder and cook on high heat for another minute. Cook on low heat until tomatoes are soft and mushy, it will take 3-4 minutes
6. Finally, add tamarind pulp and jaggery, mix. Cook for another 1-2 minutes until melts and mix well in the chutney
7. Spicy Tomato Chutney is ready to serve, enjoy it either with rice, chapathi, dal chawal, khichdi or with idli, dosa, pulao et al.
You might also like:
💓 We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories !
Have you tried this “Tomato Chutney Recipe“? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.
Easy Tomato Chutney Recipe
to prepare tomato chutney recipe
- 2 cups firm red tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 onion (small size, finely chopped (optional, you may skip this if you wish to))
- 2-3 green chilies (finely chopped)
- 3-4 cloves garlic (crushed or chopped)
- ½ inch ginger piece (grated)
- 1 ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ tablespoon tamarind pulp
- 2 teaspoon jaggery
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons oil
how to make tomato chutney
- To begin with, firstly, heat oil in a pan. Then add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves and fry for few seconds
- Now, add garlic and ginger and fry until aromatic and garlic get golden, do not burn
- Then add green chillies and oniuons and fry on high for a minute or two until soft and pink
- Now add salt, tomatoes and fry on high heat for another 2-3 minutes
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder and cook on high heat for another minute. Cook on low heat until tomatoes are soft and mushy, it will take 3-4 minutes
- Finally, add tamarind pulp and jaggery, mix. Cook for another 1-2 minutes until jaggery melts and mixes well in the chutney
- Spicy Tomato Chutney is ready to serve, enjoy it either with rice, chapathi, dal chawal, khichdi or with idli, dosa, pulao et al.