Sabudana khichdi – is an traditional Indian dish made using tapioca pearls (sago). A popular breakfast recipe that is made during Vrats and also on regular days. It is super simple, quick, gluten free, vegan and extremely delicious. Here is how to make best Sabudana Khichdi recipe at home.
Sabudana is basically the starch extracted from tapioca roots, a popular ingredient to add in Indian dishes. It called as Tapioca Pearls or Sago in English. . There are number of recipes like sweet sago pudding (sabudana kheer), sabudana vada, cutlets, thalipeeth and many more.
Sabudana khichdi is thoroughly enjoyed across the country specifically during festivals and fast or vrat in Shivratri or Navratri season. But, we can devour this sabudana recipe on regular days as well.
However, it does require a preparation and few important tips to master if you want to make the best sabudana khichdi recipe at home. So, let's move on to few do's and don'ts along with tips and tricks to master the recipe every time you make it.
Sabudana Khichdi Ingredients
Sabudana khichdi, as you see below, is basically flavoured with peanuts, chilies, cumin seeds and curry leaves (this can be optional).
Furthermore, the addition of potatoes is also an important ingredient giving nice base to the khichdi
I usually enjoy the sabudana khichadi with coconut chutney or dahi raita, either as a snack or even as a main meal.
Important Tips To Make Sabudana Khichdi Recipe
- First and foremost, always, wash sabudana well. DO it either under running water or at least 3-4 times to get off the most of the starch from it.
- One of the most crucial point here is the soaking of sabudana with right amount of water. Number of dear people struggle to get the right consitency of pearls to make khichdi turning it into sticky clump.
- The amount of water that worked for me always to soak them is adding an 1 & ¼ cup of water to 1 cup of sabudana. So whatever number of cup measure of sabudana you are taking, same measure cups of water plus ¼ cup of extra water works very well for sabudana ki khichdi.
- Another key point to make sago khichdi is, ALWAYS soak sabudana overnight, for best results. After soaking it overnight, always drain the extra water, if any left, by transfering it into a colander for few minutes.
- You can check, if they are ready to cook, by taking a pearl and pressing it between the fingers. It should be soft and mashed.
- Lastly, always AVOID cooking sabudane for longer period of time while making sabudana khichdi recipe. This is the another main reason to make the khichdi sticky.
- I NEVER cooked khichdi beyond 4 minutes on medium to low flame after adding sabudana into the pan. So, 4 minutes is the max, time may vary a bit if you are cooking the sabudana in larger amount.
Variations In Sabudana Khichdi Recipe
- Apart from aloo, you can add your choice of vegetables like chopped carrots, peas, cauliflower, corn, onions etc to make vegetable sabudana khichdi recipe
- You can add spice powders, tomatoes and increase the amount of chilies if you wish to make spicy sabudana khichdi masala.
- The another variation I love is, adding fresh methi leaves with spices to make methi sabuadana khichdi. If you are not on fast, then do add little onions and garlic tadka before adding potatoes and try, I am sure you will love it.
How To Make Sabudana Khichdi Recipe Step By Step
Preparation Of Sabudana Khichdi
- To begin with, first, wash the sago pearls for 3-4 times until water runs clear. You can wash them in a colander under running water to make if free of most of the starch in it. Then, soak the sabudana pearls in 1 & ¼ cup of water overnight. (photo 1)
- Now, once the sabudana is soaked well, you will see hardly any water left behind. But, I would still urge you transfer it into a colander to get rid of water if any. (photo 2)
Important Tip : You can take a pearl in between the two fingers and check if it is soft and mashes well, it is ready to cook.
- Then, add crushed peanut into the sabudana (photo 3)
- Gently mix them well and set it aside. (photo 4)
To Cook Sabudana Khichdi Recipe
- Now, heat oil in a pan or kadhai, once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and fry for few seconds. (photo 5)
- Add diced potatoes and saute on high heat for a minute. Then cover and cook for 3-4 minutes until they are 90 percent done. (photo 6)
- Now, add raw peanut, curry leaves, and green chillies and mix. (photo 7)
Optional: Raw peanuts are absolutely ones choice to add after you adding roasted and crushed peanuts. As I love the crunch of that crispy peanut, hence the addition of raw peanuts. You can totally skip it.
- Add soaked sabudana, salt and gently mix, cook for 4-5 minutes only until the pearls are just translucent. DO stir couple of times but gentlly. Also, do not overook them as they will start sticking to each othermaking a sticky lump. (photo 8)
- Finally add, lemon juice and coriander leaves and mix.
- Sabudana Khichdi is ready to serve.
You might also like:
💓 We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories !
Have you tried this “Sabudana Khichdi Recipe“? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.
You can also FOLLOW Me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes and updates.
Sabudana Khichdi Recipe Card
- 1 cup Sago pearls ((sabudana))
- 2-3 Green chilies (slit or chopped, you may increase or decrease it as per your liking)
- ½ cup Roasted peanuts (peeled and coarsely powdered)
- 2 Potatoes (medium, peeled and diced into small pieces)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 6-8 Curry leaves
- Salt to taste ((regular salt or sendha namak))
- 2 tbsp Peanut oil (or ghee or any refined oil)
- 1.25 cup Water for soaking Sabudana
- Wash the sago pearls for 3-4 times until water runs clear.
- Soak the sabudana pearls in 1 & ¼ cup of water overnight.
- Once the sabudana is soaked well, you will see hardly any water left behind.
- Add crushed peanut into the sabudana.
- Gently, mix them well and set it aside.
- Now, heat oil in a pan or kadhai.
- Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and fry for few seconds.
- Add diced potatoes and saute on high heat for a minute.
- Then, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes until they are 90 percent done.
- Now, add raw peanut, curry leaves, and green chillie and mix.
- Add soaked sabudana, salt and gently mix.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes only until the pearls are just translucent. Do stir couple of times but gentlly. Also, do not overook them as they will start stcking to each othermaking a sticky lump.
- Finally add, lemon juice and coriander leaves and mix. It is ready to serve.
- Always wash sabudana under running water or 3-4 times to get rid of most of the starch. Soak the sabudana in right amount of water ratio to pearls.
- Never cook sabudana beyond 4 minutes for best results. These are key point to make non sticky sabudana khichdi
- You can add boiled aloo instead of raws ones, that will decrease the cooking time. But, the raw ones works and tastes best when cooked in the recipe.
There are no raw peanuts listed in the ingredients. Are they additional to the roasted ones ground and added to the soaked sabudana? What is the amount to be used?
I tried using this recipe and the khichdi turned out to be very tasty. Earlier my khichdi used to be very sticky , I tried multiple hacks but nothing worked. But after following the recipe especially the soaking proportion and the special tip now I no more need to worry about that. Thanks a lot for the delicious yet simple recipe.
Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback. I am really glad to know it came out good after following the steps and tip. 🙂
Tried today and turned out excellent. 👍👌.
You mentioned Sabudana to water ratio as 1:11/4 and then mentioned # of cups of Sabudana + 1/4 cup of water. So for 2 cups of Sabudana is it 21/4 cups or 21/2 cups of water to soak?
I haven't ever seen this perfect sabudana khichdi. you're truly blessed with skills ma'am
Thank you so much Ayushman, am glad you liked it 🙂
This recipes tasted so good even when we are fasting we all loved it, and tips helped me to make the perfect Sabudana khichdi without lumps.
Thank you very much Kiran, am happy tips helped you to make perfect khichdi 🙂