Looks fancy yet so easy, this simple Mixed Green Salad is made with super tasty fresh ingredients - leafy greens, crunchy cucumber, crisp apple and soft avocado! Wonderful for any time of the year including summer, this recipe is for one of the best green salads out there!
Why You Will Love This Recipe?
This vibrant green salad looks like a fancy salad, but it is so easy to make! Fresh leafy greens, nutty pistachios, smooth extra virgin olive oil, bold citrus, and sweet maple syrup are just a handful of the mouthwatering ingredients you will need for this mixed green salad with avocado.
Filled with powerhouse nutrients, this mixed green salad is a great healthy option for anyone who is wanting to step up their salad recipes.
Simple green salads with fruits and nuts ( like my Spinach Strawberry Salad, Kale Mango Salad, Arugula Salad, Kale Apple Salad) are versatile and so delicious, you will want to enjoy them for all occasions–including meal prep. Be sure to add the avocado just before serving for the best flavors for this healthy salad.
Enjoy this fresh salad with your favorite pasta, soups, main proteins, or just have it all on its own. There are several occasions this salad recipe is fitting such as quick lunches on your meal break, comforting dinners at home, bbq, potlucks, and other joyful and wholesome activities. Everyone will love this green salad because it is seriously the best!
Lemon Dill Dressing
The tasty Dijon mustard, sea salt, and black pepper come together to create an aromatic and flavorful dressing that is nothing short of bold.
If you are looking for a simple salad dressing that is served with just a tad bit of heat, then you will adore this entire recipe. Did I mention the fresh green dill?
The Salad Dressing
- Extra virgin olive oil: Good quality olive oil has a tasty aromatic flavor that is unique and fitting for this salad recipe.
- Lemon juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice provides bright notes of citrus that balances out the sweet flavors this homemade dressing. Lime juice would also work.
- Maple syrup: Sweet and sticky maple syrup provides just enough gentle sweetness to make this dressing appetizing and nothing dull.
- Dijon mustard: I use mustard for its tart and bitter flavors that even fancy restaurants use for their salads. Dijon is a traditional mustard that you can find at most grocery stores in the condiment aisles.
- Dill: Fresh dill is fragrant and a pungent ingredient for this salad. I highly recommend using fresh dill for optimal flavors.
- Red pepper flakes: Just a small amount of heat gives this dressing the kick it needs. Feel free to omit if you do not want the extra spice.
- Salt and pepper: A simple duo of sea salt and freshly cracked pepper seasons this dressing to perfection.
Mixed Green Salad Base
- Mixed greens: A simple blend of salad greens will do the trick to this bowl of goodness. Some ideas include a mixture of romaine, arugula, spinach, butter lettuce, red romaine, and more. You could even add some microgreens to this salad.
- Cucumbers: Crispy fresh cucumbers give this recipe the perfect amount of crunch! I like to use Persian cucumbers due to their prisitine flavors, but any kind of cucumber will work for this simple salad recipe.
- Granny smith apple: Granny smith apples are a little tart and sweet at the same time. I like to use green apples ( in soup, Green Smoothie or Brussels Sprout Salad) because I find these the most flavorful than the other red apples.
- Avocado: Softened green avocado is a healthy source of nutrients, and it is filling, too (be it smoothie, salad or on toast). Make sure the avocado is soft enough to use. You want the avocado to be soft to the touch but not too soft.
- Pistachios: Crunchy nutty pistachios balance out the fresh greens in this salad. Feel free to use either salted or unsalted pistachios. Get creative and swap up the different types of nuts.
How To Make The Best Green Salad?
First, prep all of the ingredients (and refrigerate) to save you time. Be sure not to prep the ingredients too far in advance or they may wilt at room temperature. You can store the ingredients in the refrigerator until you are ready to get started.
Making Lemon Dill Dressing
Add all of the dressing ingredients like olive oil, lemon juice, maple syrup, mustard, dill, red pepper flakes if using, salt, and the pepper to a jar. Place a lid on top of the jar and vigorously shake the ingredients until they combine well.
Alternatively, you can use a food processor, blender, or immersion blender to create this lemon dill dressing.
Preparing the Salad
Next, in a large bowl, combine the fresh leafy greens, sliced and quartered cucumbers, green apple, and avocado. Pour a little bit of the dressing into the bowl with the salad ingredients.
Note: Be sure to reserve a small amount of the salad dressing for serving.
Next, gently toss the salad, mix until thoroughly combined. Top the salad with pistachios and chopped fresh dill. Finally, immediately serve the salad with the homemade dressing and your choice of cheese (if using).
Enjoy this mixed green salad with avocado at room temperature or chilled!
- Salad Leaves: You can prepare the greens ahead, but toss everything together just before serving to avoid wilting.
- Avocado and Green Apple: Chop just before serving to avoid the ingredients from getting dull. Be sure to use fresh ingredients for this salad recipe.
- Make the dressing ahead: You can prepare the lemon dill dressing up to three days in advance! Just be sure to store the dressing in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Storage: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator and be sure to eat the salad within one to two days.
This salad is very good for you! This simple green salad with avocado is filled with healthy fats, fiber, vitamins, minerals, and more. If you're looking for a meal with antioxidants, then you will love this healthy salad recipe.
Serve this salad on its own as a light meal or for lunch or dinner. This salad is tasty as a side dish with any meal such as cooked pasta, rice dishes, simple sandwiches, juicy burgers, and warm soups such as my Tomato Soup, Pasta soup, Butternut squash soup, and Creamy potato soup.
Fresh is the best with this recipe! The fresh greens in the salad may get soggy, but you can store the leftovers in a clean airtight container for up to one day.
Simple mixed green salads can be made with easy and different ingredients for arrays of bright flavors like freshly grated parmesan cheese, tart balsamic vinaigrette, cured or cooked salmon, tender shrimp, and more. You will get your daily intake of good fats and nutrients such as omega-3s and fiber with this easy idea.
This recipe is incredibly versatile and fun to create in a variety of ways!
Cheese: Use different types of cheeses for this fresh salad such as soft goat cheese, crumbly, fresh feta cheese, or savory grated parmesan.
Nuts and seeds: You can use different nuts and seeds such as pecans, walnuts, almonds, and pepitas(Pumpkin seeds). The nuts add extra protein and fiber.
Fruits: Dried fruits like cranberries, raisins, figs, pomegranates, or even dates can be used. Mmm.
Grains: You can add different types of grains such as couscous, quinoa, fluffy farro, or pasta-like orzo.
Extra veggies: Spruce things up with extra flavor from fresh tomatoes, blanched chopped asparagus, bell peppers, radishes, bitter onions like red onions, crunchy carrots, olives, and so much more.
More Delicious Salads for you
If you made this recipe for Green Salad that is honestly so easy to make and the best, then please be sure to rate and review this soup below!
If you'd like more deliciously easy recipe inspirations, follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, or YouTube. You can also get all of my newest content delivered straight to your inbox by signing up for my email newsletter.
Mixed Green Salad Recipe
- 5 cups Mixed Salad Greens
- 2 Persian Cucumber (half moon sliced)
- 1 Granny Smith Apple (diced)
- 1 medium Avocado (diced)
- ¼ cup Pistachios
For Salad Dressing
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice (or Lime Juice)
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Dill plus for garnish (finely chopped)
- ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- To start with, add all the ingredients for salad dressing in a jar, cover with lid and shake vigorously to combine.
- In a large bowl, add mixed salad greens, cucumber, green apple, avocado, and pour the dressing (reserve some to serve in small bowl on side).
- Give a gentle toss and top with pistachios and chopped fresh dill. Serve immediately!
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese, tart balsamic vinaigrette, cured or cooked salmon, tender shrimp, crumbled goat cheese or feta cheese, and more.
- Nuts and seeds such as pecans, walnuts, almonds, and pepitas(Pumpkin seeds).
- Dried fruits like cranberries, raisins, figs, pomegranates, or even dates can be use.
- Types of grains to this salad such as couscous, quinoa, fluffy farro, or pasta-like orzo.
- Fresh tomatoes, blanched chopped asparagus, bell peppers, radishes, onions like red onions, crunchy carrots, olives.