The best Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup recipe in just 20 minutes! This quick and easy to make curried butternut squash soup is super healthy and so so delicious.
A perfect creamy fall soup without the cream. It's vegan, gluten free, and served best with toasted crusty bread!
You should try this squash soup
Okay! So first thing to say here is, this Instant Pot butternut squash soup has only plus and no minus at all. I know that's the firm claim, but yes, there's no minus here.
Feel good soups with lovely fall flavors - bring it on and we are sorted! Here's one such family favorite, a wonderful and soul warming curried Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup.
Gorgeous bright soup laden with sweet butternut squash and carrot, tart green apple, onion, fresh thyme, curry powder and a bit of chili garlic paste. Doesn't that sound yum?
This warm fall soup recipe is sure to become your go-to meal when you need nice quick and easy dinners during winters.
An ultra tasty bowl of warm velvety soup is all set to soothe you up this cold season. This creamy vegetarian soup has goodness of both, taste and nutrition one would yearn for.
The great part is you get beautiful mildly spiced butternut squash soup in Instant Pot in less than half the time.
Honestly, I was planning to make this curried squash soup in slow cooker.
But then who will wait for hours to indulge in favourite winter meal 🙂 . Especially when kids and husband are home, busy with their online classes and office work.
This cozy soup with intense fall flavours is by far the best curried squash soup recipe my entire family enjoys. I am sure you all fall in love it too.
Why you will love this soup?
Well, good cozy soups takes hours to come together. But, when you have this magical Instant Pot pressure cooker, no more hours of waiting.
No hours of simmering needed, and everything gets done in 30 minutes. I am never going to use stove top again for this. Flavors of this pressure cooker curried squash soup is spot on!
You have your favorite delicious soups on your table in less than 30 minutes.
Quick, dump and go soup recipes and meals are a big "Yes"!
The use of basic ingredients brings out natural richness with less efforts. The only effort you have to deal with is peeling the butternut squash.
Well, that's the global issue we all have to deal with, Lol! Jokes apart!
You know you are only few minutes away from having delicious warm soup meal for lunch or dinner on busy days during the week. Or for weekend brunch meal on super cold days.
One big plus about this Instant Pot squash soup is, IP keeps it warm for few hours. You can use "keep warm" setting and relax until you are ready to serve it with sides.
This Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup :
- Is a perfect winter soup with wonderful fall flavors to keep you cozy.
- Needs no fancy or exotic ingredients.
- Is rich, smooth and creamy without the cream.
- Is dump and go instant pot recipe.
- Gets done in flat 20 minutes.
- Is vegan, gluten free, oil free and dairy free. In short, it's a great healthy recipe for everyone, especially weight watchers.
- Keeps good in fridge and freezes very well. So, you can make it in large batch and store.
- Is a perfect make-head meals option.
Ingredients you will need
- 2 pounds of butternut squash along with 1 large carrot and 1 Granny Smith apple.
- 1 Onion and Garlic - 10 grams or 5-6 cloves.
- 1 tablespoon Curry powder, ¾ teaspoon Chili Paste and ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon Powder.
- Thyme (or Sage) and 2 Bay Leaves.
- Vegetable Stock or Chicken Stock. No chicken stock when making vegan!
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Some fresh thyme, a dash of lemon juice and Smoked Paprika, crusty bread or croutons for serving.
Step by step instructions
Switch on the IP and place steel insert. Add all the ingredients to the steel insert except coconut milk.
Close the lid and seal the pot. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
One the cooking completes, wait for 5 minutes for natural release. Carefully, quick release the pressure by turning the valve to venting mode.
Open the pot, discard bay leaves and thyme.
Add coconut milk to the pot.
Using immersion blender, purée the soup until smooth.
Check for salt and seasonings, add more if needed.
Pour into serving bowls, garnish with some fresh thyme and smoked paprika. Squeeze a dash of lime and serve hot with toasted bread.
Slow cooker instructions
To make this soup in crockpot or slow cooker, all you need to do is:
Add all the ingredients in pot except coconut milk.
Cover and cook on 'Low' for 6-8 hours or on "High' for 3-4 hours until tender.
Once done, discard bay leaves and thyme and add-in the coconut milk.
Using immersion blender, puree everything until smooth. If you do not have immersion blender, then use traditional blender to puree it. Remember to do it in batches and blender should not be too full .
Note : Be careful while using immersion blender as the pot as well the soup will be hot.
Check for salt and seasonings. Dish out, garnish and serve hot. Enjoy!
Stove top instructions
In a heavy bottom pot or stock pot, place all the ingredients except coconut milk. Bring it to boil.
Cover and simmer for 25- 30 minus or until fork tender.
Discard bay leaves and thyme, and blend everything into a soup using immersion blender or in batches using traditional blender.
Check for salt and seasonings. Dish out, garnish and serve hot with breads of your choice. Enjoy!
As it makes healthy filling meal in itself, you can enjoy this soup as is.
We love to serve it with nice toasted crusty sourdough bread. Olive rosemary sourdough is my personal favourite to go along with this soup. You can serve with any of your favorites.
Or serve this soup with some garlic bread on the side.
Serve it alongside with some nice fresh salads for your Thanksgiving dinner or Holiday dinners.
Storing and freezing
This soup stays well upto 4 days in refrigerator and upto 3 months in freezer.
Let soup cool completely, transfer it to a clean airtight box and keep in the fridge or in freezer.
If using Instant Pot : Use sauté setting, wait until the soup is hot.
Turn off the sauté mode, cover the pot and press keep warm until you're ready to serve it. This method works great for make ahead soup to serve during parties or Thanksgiving.
If you're planning to freeze the soup, it is always best to store in portions or individual servings.
To reheat the frozen soup, first thaw it on the counter for some time and reheat it either in microwave or in pot on stove top.
Looking for some more Instant Pot soup recipes? Try these:
💓 We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories !
Have you tried this "Recipe"? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- 2 lbs Butternut Squash (diced)
- 1 Large Carrot (diced)
- 1 Granny Smith Apple (diced)
- 1 cup Onion (diced)
- 5-6 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tablespoon Curry Powder
- ½ teaspoon Chili Paste or Cayenne Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 3-4 Sprigs of Thyme
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 2 cups Vegetable Stock
- 2 Bay Leaves
- ½ cup Coconut Milk
- Smoked Paprika
- Lime Juice (optional)
- Switch on the IP and place steel insert. Add all the ingredients to the steel insert except coconut milk.
- Close the lid and seal the pot. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- One the cooking completes, wait for 5 minutes for natural release. Carefully, quick release the pressure by turning the valve to venting mode.
- Open the pot, discard bay leaves and thyme.
- Add coconut milk to the pot. Using immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Check for salt and seasonings, add more if needed.
- Pour into soup bowls, garnish with some fresh thyme and smoked paprika. Squeeze a dash of lime and serve hot with toasted crusty bread.