Make these perfect good old fashioned fluffy pancakes from scratch at home. There's no looking back as this is the best pancake recipe for you to make for breakfast or brunch. It's a simple, quick and easy pancake recipe you will fall in love with. So delicious, super light and fluffy!
Life is beautiful with pancakes
Do you all agree to this? Well, my family does! They love to eat fluffy pancakes like nothing. Come Sunday, and the fluffiest pancakes make their way to our table. Drizzle lot of maple syrup on steaming stack of pancakes, fresh berries on side!
What more would you ask for when you have heaven on your plate! These are so soft and melt in mouth, a delight to eat - A perfect Sunday morning breakfast treat!
I seriously don't know why did it took me so long to share our favorite breakfast recipe here on my blog. Anyways, better late than never! 🙂
About these pancakes
These old fashioned homemade pancakes are thick and fluffy cakes like pan fried dish made by combining flour, eggs, milk and baking powder. It is a popular American breakfast recipe well loved by one and all across the globe.
This pancake recipe is super easy with mild sweetness and an amazing vanilla hint. No fail recipes are a big thumbs up, just like this one!
I have come across many people who say that great recipe needs buttermilk in pancakes. Well, believe me, you really do not need buttermilk every single time to make perfect pancakes.
So, the one I am sharing here is without the buttermilk. And the recipe is so good that you will also stop using store bought pancake mix.
Never in my life I have ever used boxed mixes. I know, these mixes are handy and convenient at times. All you need to do with it is to combine wet ingredients to this dry ingredients mix and make the pancake batters.
When you already have these things sitting in your pantry, then why do you even feel the need to spend pennies on these store bought mixes? So, from now on, no more box mixes, right? 🙂 . Say bye-bye to them!
Without wasting much time, let's move ahead to check on ingredients, steps, variations, tips and FAQs.
The list is neither too long nor we want to use exotic things, we need simple ingredients only.
- Flour : A classic fluffy pancakes calls for the use of all purpose flour. I have taken 2 cups (260 grams) of flour here. You can use whole wheat flour as well. However, there might be a slight difference in texture, but shall go well. You can also use a mix of both of these flours.
- Milk : I have used whole milk here. But, you are free to use skim milk to make these. I have used 1 and ¼ cup of milk in this recipe.
- Sugar : I prefer using granulated sugar. You can try using brown sugar as well for it gives moist pancakes. Modify the amount sweetness as per your taste. I have used 3 tablespoons of sugar for mild sweetness.
- Eggs : It helps giving nice light and fluffy structure here. I have added 2 medium eggs weighing 95 grams in total.
- Melted Butter : Butter gives the best taste or I should say the unbeatable taste! ¼ cup of melted goes in here.
- I prefer using unsalted butter, but you can use salted one as well. But, keep a check on salt, you may want to reduce it.
- Other ingredients : The other elements that goes in are 2 teaspoons of baking powder, ¼ teaspoon of baking soda, ½ teaspoon of salt and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. Plus, butter or vegetable oil for cooking pancakes.
How to make Homemade Pancakes?
Here is how to make this amazing pancake recipe in few simple steps.
To begin with, in large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Add sugar and mix well.
Then, add eggs, Milk, vanilla extract and slightly cooled melted butter.
Whisk the batter using wire whisk until combined. Do not overmix the batter. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes.
Heat non stick skillet or pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, reduce the heat to medium low.
Grease the pan with butter or cooking spray. Wipe off the excess using paper towel sheet, if any. Pour ¼ measuring cup of batter onto the pan and spread gently in round.
Let the pancake cook for approx 3 minutes or until bubble appears on the top and edges turn slightly brown.
Gently flip and allow it to cook for 1-2 minutes until golden brown. Repeat the same for the remaining batter.
Serve warm topped with honey or maple syrup and berries, fruits on side. You can also serve it plain.
Frequently asked questions
You can definitely make it without the milk. Swap milk with plant based milk like almond milk or any dairy free milk of your choice. Or you can replace it with water and butter with neutral vegetable oil like coconut oil or olive oil.
One method is to use baking soda and lemon juice combination to make the batter. Use 2 teaspoons of baking soda plus 20 ml of lemon juice for the given measure below. Combine milk, eggs butter and lemon juice in one bowl, and then add it to dry ingredients to make the batter.
The other method is by separating the egg yolks and egg whites and then use it. Here, add the egg yolks to the rest of the ingredients to make the batter base. Whip the egg whites into the another bowl until it forms stiff peaks and then fold it into the pancake batter.
First, let them cook slowly on low heat, after you spread the batter in pan.. Do not be hurry or rush to flip it.
Let the under side cook until golden, this takes approximately 3 minutes. You shall notice the bubbles that start to form on the top and around, thats' the time you should flip the pancakes.
Pro tips to follow
Let's start with the pancake batter : It should neither be be too thick nor too thin. Once you mix the batter, and lift little amount of it using spoon, it should be thick to hold but should run slowly off the spoon.
Too thick and sticky, the pancake remains uncooked from within and if too thin, it will spread across the pan and would not fluff up at all.
Do not over mix the batter as this may develop the gluten making them chewy. Also, do not worry if there's couple of lumps in it. That's fine!
Heat : A good non stick pan or skillet works like charm here. First, heat it on medium heat. Once the pan is hot, reduce the heat to medium low. Grease the pan with little butter or cooking spray and pour small amount of batter.
Oil or Butter : Once you grease the pan, you can wipe off the excess using paper towel sheet. This gives you nice and perfect brown pancakes. I am little lazy to even wipe off excess few drops or butter or oil, don't be lazy like me 😛
To cook perfect pancakes : Follow the proper steps while heat the pan. We all like even sized and nicely cooked pancakes. So, use ¼ cup measuring cup to pour your batter in pan.
Next, pour it in the centre of the pan moving slightly in circular motion, the batter spreads to perfect rounds.
- You can add berries and nuts of your choice. Chocolate chips are another great addition especially if you are making it for kids. Add these in the batter itself or on top of pancake once you spread it in the pan while cooking.
- Top the wet batter in pan with some chopped strawberries, grated sweet carrots or sliced banana.
- Try adding lemon or orange zest and cinnamon to give nice refreshing hint to the pancakes.
- I love to add finely chopped apples along with cinnamon to the batter. This combination is bliss in warm pancakes during cold and gloomy mornings.
- Add some pumpkin puree along with pumpkin pie spice or just cinnamon and nutmeg to make pumpkin pancakes, it's perfect fall treat.
- Finally, for gluten free version, use gluten free all purpose flour or oatmeal for healthier option. You can also add some roasted flaxseeds or protein powder to make it healthy and nutritious.
Storage, freezing and reheat
Storing : Leftover pancakes can easily be stored in the fridge up-to 5 days.
Freezing : If you wish to freeze pancakes, then lay them in single layer on a tray or baking sheet and freeze for 30-45 minutes. Then, divide them in few numbers or portions with parchment between each. Put them in clean ziplock bag or freezer safe box and freeze for 2-3 months.
Re-heat : To reheat, microwave each pancake for 30 seconds or until soft. And, a little longer when reheating many at once. Or wrap them in foil and put it in the oven to heat at 350F for 10-15 minutes or until soft and ready to serve.
- Fluffy Pancakes served best with maple syrup! Along side, some fresh berries like blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and banana slices seals the deal!
- You can top these with some chocolate syrup, strawberry syrup, caramel syrup or honey.
- Slather these warm pancakes with butter or fruit butter, peanut butter or your choice of nut butter. You can serve it with your favorite seasonal fruits and creme fraiche.
- Slathered with Nutella, these makes a great party thing for kids and adults. Especially for the Nutella and pancakes fans.
Whatever combination you love, pair it with and relish! Because, Pancakes never disappoints in any way 🙂 .
How to make a pancake mix?
You need to mix dry ingredients well and store it in a clean air tight box. So, whenever you wish to make pancakes in jiffy, all you need to do is, take out a cup of mix, combine it with milk egg and butter, whisk and cook.
- 8 cups, All purpose flour (maida)
- 4 tablespoons, Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon, Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons, Salt
- 10-12 tablespoons, Granulated Sugar (you can modify as per your need)
Sift together all the ingredients (except sugar) in a large bowl. Mix sugar with the sifted flour mixture and transfer it to clean and dry airtight jar or box.
To make pancakes, take 1 cup of mix, whisk it along with 1 medium egg (45-50 grams), 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, ⅔ cup of milk (160 ml) and 2 tablespoons of melted butter (30 ml). Cook as per instructions below.
More yummy breakfast recipes
If you tried my delightfully easy homemade fluffy pancakes recipe, please be sure to star-rate it and review it below! For more A+ recipe ideas delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me and my recipes on social platforms like Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook or YouTube.
Perfect Homemade Fluffy Pancakes Recipe
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1¼ cups Milk
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup Butter
- Butter or Vegetable Oil for cooking pancakes
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add eggs, Milk, vanilla extract and slightly cooled melted butter.
- Whisk the batter using wire whisk until combined to smooth. But, do not overmix the batter.
- Let the batter rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat non stick skillet or pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, reduce the heat to medium low.
- Grease the pan with butter or cooking spray. Wipe off the excess using paper towel sheet, if any.
- Pour ¼ measuring cup of batter onto the pan and spread it gently in round.
- Let the pancake cook for 3 minutes or until bubble appears on the top and edges turn slightly brown.
- Gently flip and allow it to cook for 1-2 minutes until golden brown. Repeat the same for the remaining batter.
- Serve warm topped with honey or maple syrup and berries, fruits on side. You can also serve it plain.