Murgh Kali Mirch
Last week when I came to know about one of my immensely dear friend flying to Bangalore from Dubai to meet us, I was desperate to see her as we haven’t met before. I met her virtually in one of the food forum, gradually became very good friends. She is a hardcore Non vegetarian, when I invited her to my home, all I had in my mind is to make chicken and mutton for her. That’s when I decided to make this super delicious kali mirch chicken. Mutton dish that I made for her is yet to be disclosed, I shall be posting it real soon.
What is Chicken Kali Mirch?
Chicken kali mirch is also called as Indian black pepper chicken curry or murgh kali mirch. It is delicious peppery curry of marinated chicken cooked in black pepper yogurt gravy. The peppery black pepper chicken curry is called as kali mirch chicken recipe in hindi. The lucious rich kali mirch chicken in a white gravy is truly an easy to cook dish and we can prepare it in minimum time, when we expect the guests at home. It is an ideal non vegetarian curry dish to serve during Eid festival or parties. If you haven’t, tried this chicken kali mirch recipe, yes, then up your sleeves and do try it now. Indeed, this recipe be made as a chicken kali mirch dry or as a gravy. For dry version, do not any water and allow the chicken to cook in spices until thick and masala coats the chicken well. Definitely, this kali mirch chicken recipe will be in your hit list of weekend meal plan.
Kali Mirch Chicken Recipe ingredients:
To begin with, this lovely spicy kali mirch chicken recipe do not require long list of ingredients. Not to mention, but Chicken and black pepper are two main ingredients of this curry preparation. The black pepper (kali mirch) and green chillies imparts beautiful and subtle spiciness to the dish. Specifically, i would like to mention here that please do not reduce the amount of kali mirch here. Rather, decrease the amout of green chillies if you want it to be less spicy.
The other important ingredient in chicken kali mirch that equally gives the beautiful flavour to the dish is good amount of yogurt and little sugar. It also, balances the spiciness very well. Coming to another group of fresh ingredients, we need fresh cream, ginger paste, garlic paste, green chillies and chopped onions. The spices powder we are using here are just coriander powder and garam masala powder. Lastly, we want to use whole spices . i.e. bay leaves, cloves, cardamoms and shajeera(caraway seeds).
Most noteworthy, kasuri methi gives the life to the murgh kali mirch curry blending superbly with black pepper to just right, that will hit your palate. The taste of this succulent chicken kali mirch recipe will linger definitely for long.
What to pair with Chicken Kali mirch?
The rich Indian black pepper chicken couples up perfect with any Indian flat breads like kasuri naan, butter naan, lachha parathas, plain kulcha, phulkas parathas and roomali rotis. Furthermore, this black pepper chicken tastes best with dinner rolls and even mumbai pav or bun. Significantly, all the rice preparations pairs best with kali mirch chicken curry. Easy zafrani pulao, jeera rice, Kashmiri pulao, peas pulao, Ghee rice and khushka are to name a few from the rice recipe list. Even, a Kashmiri Pulao pairs best with kali mirch chicken. So all in all, this kali mirch chicken recipe brings out the best of the flavours with any of the accompaniment we serve along with it.
Best Chicken Kali Mirch Recipe below:Print
Chicken Kali Mirch also known as murgh kali mirch is a flavourful Indian curry in which we cook chicken in yogurt and black pepper gravy. Serve this chicken kali mirch with any flat indian breads and plain for flavoured rice. Here is how to make kali mirch chicken recipe at home.
To marinate the chicken:
- 1 kg, chicken on bone, cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon, black pepper powder
- Juice of one lemon
- Salt to taste
For kali mirch chicken Gravy:
- 1 teaspoon shazeera ( caraway seeds)
- 6-7 cloves
- 5 green cardamoms
- 2 bay leaf
- 2 nos, medium onions, finely chopped
- 3/4 tablespoon, black peppercorn, freshly and coarsely crushed
- 1 tablespoon, garlic paste
- 300 gm, yogurt, whisked well
- 1 tablespoon, ginger paste
- 2-3 green chilies, slit (you may adjust accordingly)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 3 tablespoons, cream
- 1 teaspoon, garam masala powder
- 2-3 green chilies, slit (you may adjust accordingly)
- 1 teaspoon, kasuri methi ( dried fenugreek leaves)
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon, sugar
- 5 tablespoons, oil/ghee or both in 1:1 ratio
how to make chicken kali mirch :
- Firstly, marinate chicken with the ingredients mentioned under marination, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, coarsely crush the black pepper corns in mortar & pestle
- When chicken is ready to be cooked after marination, then in a heavy bottom pan or handi, heat ghee or oil
- Then, add marinated chicken pieces, fry on high heat until they are nicely seared and light golden brown.
- Once the chicken turn light brown, take the fried chicken out and reserve
- Now, in the same handi, add bay leaf, green cardamom, and cloves, fry for few seconds
- Then add shahjeera and fry for another few seconds
- Now, add chopped onions and fry until soft and translucent.
- When the onion turns pink and soft, then add ginger and garlic paste, sautè for few minutes.
- Once the raw smell of onion ginger garlic masala goes off, then, add whisked yoghurt and stir until blended well.
- Then, add coriander powder, green chili slit, coarsely crushed peppercorn and mix well.
- Now, add fried chicken, mix well. Cover and cook until chicken is just tender. Adjust the consistency of the gravy only if required. If making dry version, then skip adding water to the recipe
- Lastly, add cream, sugar, kasuri methi and cook for another minute.Take it off the heat
- Dish out and serve chicken kali mirch hot with lachcha paratha or phulkas or nan or pulao of your choice
to make chicken kali mirch dry, do not add any water and allow the chicken to cook in masala such that chicken cooks well and masala clings to the chicken well.
Keywords: Chicken Kali Mirch, Kali Mirch Chicken Recipe, Murgh Kali Mirch
How to make chicken kali mirch step by step pictures:
To marinate the chicken
- To prepare kali mirch chicken recipe, firstly, marinate chicken with the ingredients mentioned under marination. Then,cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. While the chicken is marinating, coarsely crush the black pepper corns in mortar & pestle
to make kali mirch chicken recipe:
3. When chicken is ready to be cooked after marination, then in a heavy bottom pan or handi, heat ghee or oil in a pan or handi.
4. Then, add marinated chicken pieces, fry on high heat until they are nicely seared and light golden brown.
5. Once the chicken turn light brown, take the fried chicken out and reserve.
6. Now, in the same handi, add bay leaf, green cardamom, and cloves, fry for few seconds
7. Then add shahjeera and fry for another few seconds
8. Now, add onions and fry until soft and translucent.
9. When the onion turns pink and soft, then add ginger and garlic paste, sautè for few minutes.
10. Once the raw smell of onion ginger garlic masala goes off, then, add whisked yoghurt and stir until blended well.
11. Then, add coriander powder, green chili slit, coarsely crushed peppercorn and mix well.
12. Now, add fried chicken salt and mix. Cover and cook until chicken tender. Adjust the consistency of the chicken gravy only if required. However if you wish to make kali mirch chicken dry, then no need to add too much water.
13. Lastly, add garam masala powder, cream, sugar, kasoori methi and cook for another minute. Take it off the heat
14. Murgh kali mirch gravy is ready to serve. Dish out and serve chicken kali mirch hot with lachcha paratha or phulkas or nan or pulao of your choice