Butter Chicken is a luscious preparation of grilled chicken bits cooked in butter, nuts and tomato based gravy. First, chicken requires the marination with aromatic spice and yogurt. Then, grill the chicken either on a pan or an oven. Lastly, simmer the grilled chicken in gravy base loaded with butter. Serve Butter chicken with Garlic Nan or Lachcha Paratha. Indeed, Butter Chicken is always the star at the table. Enjoy
On the blog today, we have delectable Butter Chicken recipe, extremely popular main course dish. It has gained world wide fame, and it is usually served with Lachcha Paratha or Nan. Butter Chicken or Chicken Tikka Masala are the two great dish, you will find on the top list when we Indians go to any restaurant to enjoy a meal with family or friends.
Butter Chicken is a quintessential dish of Northern India, especially towards the Punjab region. How royal it looks, when Butter Chicken is served with loads of cream and butter on the top. Not to mention, but the richness to dish comes from butter, cream and nut. Obviously, the nut used in butter chicken is always cashew nuts, but we can replace it with almonds as well.
Sometimes, I do use almonds instead, though it really does not compromise with the flavours of authentic Butter chicken, and it tastes equally good. So, at certain times we can use almonds too.
Now, let’s see what are the ingredients we use to make this lip-smacking Butter Chicken. Ofcourse, chicken is the main component 😉 . We are using boneless chicken here, but, you can use chicken on bone as well. Below, in the recipe, you will see the list of components to make a powder, which we will use in marination.
Prior to any thing, first we have to make the spice powder we will be using in marination. And, indeed you can make the spice powder in bulk to freeze. Store it in freezer, as it stays very well for good 3-4 months. In this case, please do not skip this step.
First thing to remember, to make authentic butter chicken, I would highly recommend, do not compromise on butter. Do you think, it will be legit to call it a butter chicken without butter? I guess, surely not 🙂
Next, the marination time should ideally be 2 hours at least, however it is better if we do it for over night or so. Anyway, if you are short of time, you can go with an hour of chicken marination too. Do not skip the process of marination as it makes chicken succulent and tasty. Also, it soaks the aroma and flavours extemely well. Grill the chicken well on grilling pan basting it with butter on regular interval. Or, you can grill the chicken on tray in preheated oven at 170 for 30 minutes.
Proceed with making of onion and tomato gravy, which has to be sauteéd in butter, add grilled chicken. Absolutely delicious Butter Chicken is ready. And, do not forget to dress up the butter chicken with tha splash of cream and blob of butter. The choice is all yours to serve it with accompaniments like Pulao or even zeera rice, apart from nan or lachcha paratha.
Butter Chicken is our family favourite, and very often I make it at home. My son’s all time love is Butter Chicken and now my daughter loves it too. They say, “Mamma, you make butter chicken so tasty, we dont want to go to any restaurants to enjoy it”. I am on cloud 9 after hearing these words from my little loves. So, sharing with you all our favourite restaurant style Butter Chicken Recipe. Do make it at home and surprise your loved ones and I promise, it wont disappoint you 🙂
Now, without wasting any time, let’s head on to ingredients and method to make so delicious Butter Chicken
Butter Chicken Recipe
- 750 grams Boneless Chicken cut in medium cubes
- 1 cup Yoghurt thick
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- Salt as per taste
- Juice of one lemon
- Pinch of red colour optional ( I havent used any)
Dry roast and grind to powder:-
- 6 Cloves
- 4 Green Cardamom
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 10 Black Peppercorns
- 1½ inch Cinnamon Stick
- ¼ Small Seed of Nutmeg
- 2 nos Onions finely chopped
- 3 nos Tomatoes Large, ground to paste
- 2 teaspoons Ginger Garlic Paste
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric
- 1½ teaspoons Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 2 tablespoons Cashew Nut Paste
- ½ tablespoon Honey
- 2 tablespoons Cream
- 1 teaspoon Kasuri Methi
- 6 tablespoons Butter plus for brushing pan
- Salt as per taste
- Warm water as required
- In a bowl mix together ground powder and all the ingredients listed in the marination above. Cover and marinate it for an hour.
- Heat and brush the grill pan with butter. Grill the chicken pieces on high heat for 2-3 minutes from both sides and keep it aside (please do not discard the marinade-keep it aside for later use)
- In another pan, heat butter. Add onions and fry till slightly golden brown
- Add tomatoes, ginger-garlic paste and sauté on high heat for 3-4 minutes. Stir in between
- Add almond paste, left marinade, cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt and sauté for another minute.
- Add grilled chicken pieces and cup of warm water, cover and cook till chicken is done
- Finally add cream, honey and kasuri methi, mix and cook for another 2 minutes
- Dish out, garnish with cream, blob of butter, and coriander leaves.
- Enjoy them hot with nan, parathas or pulao of your choice