It is a very creamy, beautiful and tasty chicken gravy recipe. Easy to make and elegant to serve. Skip the cream from the recipe and you have Hyderabadi methi chicken recipe to enjoy. Unlike, the other kormas, saalan and do pyaaza recipe with a reddish texture, this chicken recipe adds a great kick to the interior as well as the exterior of the dish. Here I mean, that the taste, flavors and look of this Indian gravy is totally different.
Best Indian Methi Chicken (Methi Murgh)
We all crave for some favorite dishes of ours from our favorite restaurant at some point of time. And when this craving punches me inside, I get a little annoyed whether how do I just end up trying this myself at my home. This is exactly what happened with me, when I craved too roughly for the delicious restaurant style Methi Chicken recipe.Also if you are tired making that same old chicken ka saalan (gravy) or korma, here is a new dish methi murgh, all ready to top your dish list. Be it a get together or a formal family dinner or just a casual weekend meal. You are all set to serve a new chicken delicacy on your dastarkhwan / dining table.
I have used fresh chicken as well as fresh methi leaves. If you do not get fresh chicken easily in your surroundings, you can use the frozen chicken available near you. Also you can use boneless chicken if you do not prefer the flesh on bones.
Methi Chicken Ingredients
You need chicken on bones, fresh fenugreek leaves, yoghurt, tomatoes, onions, garlic cloves, ginger, green chilies, cumin seeds, red chili powder, coriander and turmeric powder, garam masala powder, lemon juice, sugar, cream, oil, salt, warm water. And the khada masala i.e. whole spices we need here is green cardamom, black pepper corns, mace and cloves.
There are already many benefits of fenugreek leaves (methi) and then adding it to a protein rich item is exactly what we have been looking for. I suggest you all to use fresh fenugreek leaves for this methi chicken recipe. But, if in case, it is not available then, you can opt for dried methi as well.
You may want to try:
Fresh Methi Chicken Recipe below:Print
Fresh methi chicken curry also called as Hyderabadi methi murgh is a delicious creamy Indian curry of chicken cooked with fresh fenugreek and spices. Here is how to make methi chicken recipe restaurant style.
to prepare methi murgh:
- 1 kg, chicken bones, cut in medium sized pieces
- 2 cups, fresh fenugreek leaves( fresh methi), coarsely chopped
- 175 gms, yoghurt, whisked
- 3 large, tomatoes, finely chopped or finely sliced
- 2 large, onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon, garlic cloves, paste
- 3/4 tablespoon piece, ginger, grated (or paste)
- 3 to 4 nos, green chillies, crushed or chopped (can be increased or decreased as needed)
- 1 teaspoon, cumin seeds
- 1&1/2 teaspoon, kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1½ teaspoon, coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon, turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon, garam masala powder
- 2 teaspoon, lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon, sugar
- 1/3 cup cream
- 5 tablespoons, oil
- Salt as per taste
- Warm water as required
Whole spices to cook methi chicken
- 4 nos, green cardamom
- 8 to 10 nos, black pepper corns
- ½ tsp, crushed mace
- 4 nos, cloves
how to make methi chicken curry
- Firstly, heat oil in a pan.
- While the oil gets heated, add cumin seeds and allow it to crackle. Now, once the aroma of fried cumin releases, then add chopped or crushed green chili and saute for a minute
- Once the chillies are done, then add all the whole spices and mix.
- Then, add chopped onions and saute on high heat for a minute. Fry until they just pick the golden colour. At the same time, be sure to not to over brown the onions.
- So, now, its time to add chicken, tomatoes, ginger garlic paste, saute them well on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Furthermore, As the chicken and spices combines well together, reduce the heat and add whisked yoghurt. Immediately stir well till the yoghurt combines well.
- Then, add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, salt and warm water. Cover and simmer for 6-7 minutes or until the chicken is tender
- Lastly, add fresh fenugreek leaves( fresh methi), lemon juice, garam masala powder and sugar. Mix everything together and cook for another 3-4 minutes
- Finally, add cream, mix and cook for another 30secs.
- If you want thin gravy more warm water can be added.
- If you prefer you can use boneless chicken to make this recipe.
Keywords: Methi chicken, Methi Murgh