Methi Chicken malai is very creamy, beautiful and tasty chicken gravy recipe. Easy to make and elegant to serve.
Unlike, the other kormas, saalan and do pyaaza recipe with a reddish texture, this fenugreek chicken recipe adds a great kick to the interior as well as the exterior of the dish. My son, being a little fussy about eating green vegetables, this methi chicken indeed makes we both happy in every way.
A lovely methi chicken masala, is indeed ready to top your dish list. And if you are really bored of eating the same old chicken curry then this fresh methi murgh without a doubt will win your hearts.
You are all set to serve this fenugreek chicken curry with some butter naan or pudina paratha, nice steamed rice and salad on the side, at your table. Be it a get together or a formal family dinner or just a casual weekend meal.
Top tips to make best methi chicken curry
- This recipe calls for the use of fresh methi or fenugreek leaves. But, if you not have the access to fresh ones, then you can surely go on ahead to add dried fenugreek or kasuri methi.
- important tip : Use only 3 tablespoons of kasuri methi for 1 kg of chicken measure. Kasuri methi has strong aroma and flavour, adding it too much will overpower the taste giving bitterness to the dish.
2. To make methi chicken dry, do not add any water to the recipe. Allow chicken to cook in its own juices.
3. You can skip adding cream to the recipe. However, adding cream will only do good giving rich and restaurant like flavour to the dish.
What Ingredients do we need to make methi chicken?
I have used chicken on bones to make this enticing methi chicken malai. But, you can use boneless chicken also, if you do not prefer the flesh on bones.
- Then, we need fresh fenugreek leaves, tomatoes, onions, ginger paste, garlic paste and green chilies. Green chilies can either be chopped finely or use paste, no harm at all.
- The other flavour enhancers are yogurt, red chili powder, coriander and turmeric powder, garam masala powder, lemon juice, sugar, cream, oil and of course salt
The whole spices that goes in methi murgh are cumin seeds mace blade, green cardamom, cloves and black peppercorns
How to make methi chicken recipe step by step photos (Methi Murgh)
Firstly, heat oil in a pan. When oil heats up, add cumin seeds and allow it to crackle.
Now, once the aroma of fried cumin releases, then add green chili paste and whole spices.
Then, add chopped onions and saute on high heat for a minute. Fry until they just pick the golden colour. At the same time, be sure to not to over brown the onions.
Now, add chicken, tomatoes, ginger garlic paste, saute them well on high heat for 3-4 minutes
Once the chicken sautéed well, reduce the heat and add whisked yoghurt. Immediately stir well till the yoghurt combines well.
Then, add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, salt and water. Cover and simmer for 6-7 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
Add fenugreek leaves (methi), lemon juice, and cook on high for another 4-5 minutes
Finally, add cream, mix and cook for another 30secs. Absolutely delicious Hyderabadi Methi chicken is ready to serve.
You may want to try:
💓 We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories !
Have you tried this “Methi Chicken Recipe“? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.
Fresh Methi Chicken Recipe CardPrint
Hyderabadi Methi Chicken Malai (Methi Murgh) is a delicately spiced, creamy and delicious curry of chicken cooked with fresh fenugreek or methi leaves. Stunningly tasty and super quick, a perfect winter dinner to keep you warm!
to prepare methi chicken
- 1 kg, chicken, cut in medium sized pieces
- 2 cups, fenugreek leaves( fresh methi), coarsely chopped
- 175 gms, yoghurt, whisked
- 3 large, tomatoes, finely chopped or finely sliced
- 2 large, onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon, garlic paste
- 3/4 tablespoon piece, ginger, paste
- 3 to 4 nos, green chillies, crushed or chopped (can be increased or decreased as needed)
- 1 teaspoon, cumin seeds
- 1&1/2 teaspoon, kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1½ teaspoon, coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon, cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon, turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon, garam masala powder
- 2 teaspoon, lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon, sugar
- 1/3 cup cream
- 5 tablespoons, oil
- Salt as per taste
- Water as required
Whole spices to cook methi chicken
- 4, green cardamom
- 8 to 10, black pepper corns
- ½ teaspoon, crushed mace
- 4-5, cloves
how to make methi chicken malai
- Firstly, heat oil in a pan.
- While the oil gets heated, add cumin seeds and allow it to crackle. Now, once the aroma of fried cumin releases, then add chopped or crushed green chili and all the whole spices and cook for few seconds
- Then, add chopped onions and saute on high heat for a minute. Fry until they just pick the golden colour. At the same time, be sure to not to over brown the onions.
- Add chicken, tomatoes, ginger garlic paste, saute them well on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Once the chickens sautéed well, reduce the heat and add whisked yoghurt. Immediately stir well till the yoghurt combines well.
- Then, add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, salt and water. Cover and simmer for 6-7 minutes or until the chicken is tender
- Add fenugreek leaves (methi) and lemon juice and cook on high for another minute or 2.
- Finally, add cream, garam masala powder and sugar. Mix everything together and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Delicately spiced delicious Methi Chicken is ready to serve.
- To avoid splitting of yogurt, you can add a teaspoon of cornflour and whisk well before adding it to recipe.
- If you want thin gravy more warm water can be added.
- You can use boneless chicken to make this recipe.
- To make methi chicken dry, do not add water to the recipe and allow the chicken to cook in its own juice until it reaches its required consistency.
Keywords: Methi Chicken Malai, Hyderabadi Methi Chicken, Methi Murgh