Jeera Rice or Zeera Rice is an extremely easy and yummy Indian rice dish flavoured with cumin seeds. A secret that will give you perfectly cooked fluffy jeera rice everytime whether you make it on stovetop or in Instant Pot. A quick side dish to Indian meals. Here is how to make jeera rice recipe in 15 minutes.
My funda is very simple, if it is zeera rice then let that be jeera rice ONLY! Truly speaking, I do not prefer using too many whole spices to make it. Because I love it to be with delicate flavour of cumin seeds only. Occasionally, I do add 1-2 cardamom also. Beautifully cooked jeera pulao with every grain separate is what we all love, isn’t it?
I have been into cooking past 28 years. Yes, you read it right, 28 years. Not even a single instance have passed when my jeera rice recipe failed or gave me bad results, Alhumdulillah (By God’s Grace)! So, sharing you a small secret below to make best ever fluffy jeera rice forever.
We have always heard and ate that undying combination of Dal Fry Jeera Rice. But, this amazing delicious Indian cumin rice goes best with whatever Indian curries or Dal tadkas you pair it with.
Zeera rice has been my pure love since ages. Sometimes, I really do not need any curries or dals to go with it. I simply enjoy it with boondi raita or methi raita and some onions. Believe me guys, this is heaven on plate.
A nice hearty meal of Jeera rice with any simple curry preparation, dals or raita or just curd is always welcome. And, that is what my family enjoys always.
Important Tips to make best Jeera Rice Recipe at home
- Good rice preparations becomes the best when made with best quality rice. So, to make aromatic jeera rice, always use good quality long grain aged Basmati rice.
- Always soak rice for at least 30 minutes. I do that for good 45 minutes.
- The ratio of rice to water I consistently go with is 1:1 3/4 for any rice or pulao preparations. Yes, first soak 1 cup of rice for 45 minutes and then cook it in water with 1 and 3/4 up only and NOT 2
- I, without fail, add few drops of lemon and cook the rice when I want it too be fluffy and each grains separated. So, do not forget to add few drops of it while making jeera rice. This will keep rice from sticking together
- For a mild spicy touch, add one or two slit green chilli along with cumin seeds to the below recipe.
- Another important point, do not stir the rice too many times or too vigorously while cooking. This will break the grains and you will not have perfectly cooked basmati rice.
- After the jeera rice cooks, allow it to rest for few minutes before opening the lid. After 5-7 minutes fluff it up with fork.
- Add cumin seeds ONLY after the ghee is hot enough, but not smoky. If ghee or oil is not hot enough, cumin seeds will not release it flavour fully, leaving the raw cumin taste in the rice. Furthermore, if the ghee or oil is extremely smoky, the cumin seeds will burn, so be sure to follow these tricks.
How to cook Jeera Rice in Rice Cooker?
Not only in the pot on stove top, but most of the time, I make it in rice cooker also. So, to make jeera rice, first soak 1 cup of rice for 30-45 minutes.
- Then add soaked and drained rice in rice cooker along with 1 and 3/4 cup of water and salt.
- Now, heat either ghee or oil in small pan, add cumin seeds, bay leaf and cinnamon spice and allow it to crackle for few seconds.
- Add the cumin tadka over the rice in rice cooker and cook as per the instructions. You will have a beautifully cooked jeera pulao rice ready to serve.
How to make Jeera Rice In Pressure Cooker?
Follow the same procedure as mentioned below. Cover and cook the rice on high flame for 2 whistle and then switch off the heat. Allow the pressure to release on its own and your are done.
How do you make Jeera Rice with cooked rice?
- Well, let me tell you that making jeera fried rice is particularly the best way to use left over rice and I do this very often.
- All you need to do is heat ghee or oil, add the spices and fry for few seconds. Finally add rice and toss on high until rice coats well.
- You can also cook rice first and allow it to rest for at least 5-6 hours. Then, proceed with making zeera rice using the same method.
- Freshly cooked rice when tossed in ghee with spices may break the grains or rice may become mushy. So, boil the rice few hours in advance and cool it completely, before going ahead with this method.
- Usually, in restaurants and Dhabas, this is the method followed to make jeera rice recipe.
Sides Dishes to serve with Jeera Rice
You can serve Jeera Rice with gravy of your choice. It can be any curries or dals from Dal Makhni to Chicken Tikka Masala. Go ahead and pair it with Matar Paneer, Paneer butter masala, Paneer Pasanda, Paneer Makhanwala, Palak Paneer, Bhuna Gosht, Dal Gosht, Mutton Korma, Methi Chicken, Dal palak,
How to make Instant Pot Jeera rice – Step By Step
To begin with, first, clean, wash and soak the rice in enough water for 20 minutes. Now, switch on the IP and press the ‘SAUTE’ button. Once the the pot displays ‘Hot’ add ghee (or oil). Then, add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon sticks and green cardamom (optional) and allow them to crackle.
Now, add strained basmati rice, gently stir the rice to cook for 30 seconds.
Add 1 and 1/4 cup water, salt, lemon juice and give it a gentle stir.
Then, cancel the ‘SAUTE’ mode, put the lid of the pot and close it with pressure valve in sealing position. Press ‘Manual or Pressure cooker’ button and cook the jeera rice on high pressure for 5 minutes.
Now, let the pressure release naturally for 3-4 minutes and then quick release the pressure by turning the pressure valve from the sealing to the venting position. Open the pot and let it rest for a minute.
Fluff the jeera rice with fork, dish out and garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
How to make Jeera Rice Recipe on Stovetop – Step by Step
To begin with, first, clean, wash and soak the rice in enough water for 30-45 minutes
Then, heat ghee in a pot. Once the ghee heats up, add cumin seeds, bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Fry them few seconds until aromatic
Strain the rice and add it to the pan. Gently, mix the rice once.
Then, add water, salt and few drops of lemon juice and bring it to a boil.
Cover and simmer on low heat until all the water is absorbed. Switch off the heat and then, allow it to rest for 5-7 minutes. Fluff it with fork, Jeera rice is ready to serve. Dish out, garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
💓 We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories !
Have you tried this “Jeera Rice Recipe”? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.
Jeera Rice Recipe Card
to prepare Jeera Rice
- 1 cup Long grain basmati rice
- 2 teaspoons Cumin seeds
- 1 inch Cinnamon sticks
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons Ghee or oil
- Salt to taste
- 4-5 drops Lemon juice
- 1 and 3/4 cup cup Water (1 and 1/4 cup water for Instant Pot recipe)
- 1-2 Green cardamom (Optional)
How To Make Jeera Rice Recipe
- Clean, wash and soak the rice in enough water for 30-45 minutes.
- Heat ghee or oil in a pot.
- Once the ghee heats up, add cumin seeds, bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Fry them few seconds until aromatic.
- Strain the rice and add it to the pan. Gently, mix the rice once.
- Add 1 and 3/4 cup water, salt and few drops of lemon juice and bring it to a boil.
- Cover and simmer on low heat until all the water is absorbed.
- Switch off the heat and then allow it to rest for 5-7 minutes.
- Fluff it with fork, Jeera rice is ready to serve.
- Dish out, garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
How To Make Instant Pot Jeera Rice
- To begin with, first, clean, wash and soak the rice in enough water for 20 minutes. Now, switch on the IP and press the 'SAUTE' button.
- Now, switch on the IP and press the 'SAUTE' button. Once the the pot displays 'Hot' add ghee (or oil).
- Then, add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon sticks and green cardamom (optional) and allow them to crackle.
- Now, add strained basmati rice, gently stir the rice to cook for 30 seconds. Add 1 and 1/4 cup water, salt, lemon juice and give it a gentle stir.
- Then, cancel the 'SAUTE' mode, put the lid of the pot and close it with pressure valve in sealing position.
- Press 'Manual or Pressure cooker' button and cook the jeera rice on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Now, let the pressure release naturally for 3-4 minutes and then quick release the pressure by turning the pressure valve from the sealing to the venting position. Open the pot and let it rest for a minute.
- Fluff the jeera rice with fork, dish out and garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
- Soak the rice at least for 30 minutes before making the recipe
- You can add whole spices of your choice into it
- To make version vegan, swap ghee with oil and proceed
- For spicy touch to the jeera rice, you can add 1-2 slit green chillies along with cumin seeds.
- Cooking time may vary for the larger quantity of rice