Dal Palak or Lentils with spinach is truly a delicious Indian dish of lentils cooked with spinach in spices. Toor dal palak is a one popular palak recipes with all the goodness of spinach, lentils, garlic and tomatoes. A generous drizzle of ghee over dal to go with hot steamed rice is a bliss. This spinach dal is also known as palak pappu in Andhra style. This is super easy, glutenfree, vegan and healthy dal recipe to make and undoubtedly always a hit at your table. Here is how to make dal palak recipe step by step.
Well, we Indians have an undying love especially for the lentils preparation. Lentils are extremely essential part of an Indian cuisine. Significantly, almost every Indian meals are a combination of a dal, rice with accompaniments and sides. We, even though being a non-vegetarian, almost everyday I cook dal, either plain or with veggies. And I have to tell you that this lahsuni dal palak recipe is consistently a huge hit. Authentic and best Indian dishes like this spinach dal, Dal Makhani, Paneer Butter Masala, Paneer Makhanwala and many are a true love to our hearts.
Indeed, this toor dal palak recipe is an excellent combo of spinach in arhar dal or pigeon pea loaded with taste and nutrition both. My son is a fussy eater especially when it comes to vegetables. I have to find out the number of ways to feed him veggies for a well balanced meal. And believe me, when I cooked the spinach dal one day for him, he was absolutley bowled over. He consistently kept asking me to make it whenever I asked him about what food shall I cook each day. I was truly relieved seeing his love for this one veggie dal dish.
Can we freeze Palak Dal?
Yes, of course, spinach dal can be frozen as they are freezer friendly. Store it in a clean airtight container for good 2 months. Before serving the dal, be sure to thaw it at the counter for few hours. Then, reheat it either in a microwave of on stove top. You can also give a garlic tadka to it and serve. Furthermore, you can also freeze it in portions, thaw and reheat each portion before serving.
Serve the dal with hot steamed rice, some ghee drizzled over it, some pickle and papad on the side, it is truly a bliss! Follow the below mentioned recipe to the 'T' to make best dal palak recipe ever.
Some of the best palak recipes you might like to try:
Dal Palak Recipe
to prepare palak dal:
- 1 cup Toor dal (pigeon pea or arhar dal) (toor dal (pigeon pea or arhar dal))
- 3 cups Spinach ((cleaned, washed and chopped))
- 2 Onion (finely chopped)
- ¾ cup Tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 5-6 Garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 4-5 Dried red chilies whole
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons Oil
For dal palak tadka:
- 6-8 garlic cloves (finely sliced)
- 2 tablespoons Oil or ghee
- To begin with, clean wash and soak toor dal for 3 minutes.
- Then, heat oil in a pressure cooker. Once the oil heats up, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds and allow it to crackle
- Now, add garlic and red chillies and fry until garlic is aromatic and golden
- Then, add chopped palak and chopped onions. Saute on high for another minute until it releases nice aroma.
- Then add, tomato, soaked dal, haldi and mix.
- Saute on high for another 2-3 minutes
- Then, add 4 cup of water, salt and mix, bring it to a boil.
- Cover and cook until the dal palak is done. 2-3 whistles on high and then 5-7 minutes on simmer. Once the dal is done, allow the pressure to release on it own.
- For tadka, heat ghee on a small pan.
- Once the ghee heats up, add sliced garlic and fry until golden.
- Pour the tadka over the hot palak dal. It is ready to serve
How to make dal palak recipe step by step
To begin with, clean wash and soak toor dal for 3 minutes.
Then, heat oil in a pressure cooker. Once the oil heats up, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds and allow it to crackle
Now, add garlic and fry. Add red chillies and fry until garlic is aromatic and golden
Then, add chopped palak and chopped onions. Saute on high for another minute until it releases nice aroma.
Then add, tomato, soaked dal, haldi and mix.
Saute on high for another 2-3 minutes
Then, add 4 cup of water, salt and mix, bring it to a boil.
Cover and cook until the dal is done. 2-3 whistles on high and then 5-7 minutes on simmer. Once the dal is done, allow the pressure to release on it own.
For tadka, heat ghee on a small pan.
Once the ghee heats up, add sliced garlic and fry until golden.
Pour the tadka over the hot palak dal. It is ready to serve
I Was not sure of trying this one, as u have not used red chilli powder at all. But it turned out delicious. Really good.. loved it !
Was looking for an easy recipe and so glad I landed here. Amazing recipe and we all just loved it. Definitely gonna make again. Thanks
Thank you very much Nitu 🙂