Paneer Makhanwala or How to make paneer makhanwala. Restaurant style paneer makhanwala is delicious creamy recipe of succulent paneer cooked in makhani onion tomato cashew nut gravy. It is indeed a popular Indian curry recipe and easy paneer recipe to make at home. To prepare paneer makhanwala recipe, we need no exotic ingredients. Hence, it can be made easily with available ingredients in our kitchen pantry. Paneer makhanwala is best served with lachha parathas, butter naan, parathas, phulkas. you can also, enjoy it with zafrani pulao, jeera rice or matar pulao. Here is how to make Paneer makhanwala at home...
Restaurant style Paneer Makhanwala
Paneer is something which most of the people loves it, especially, the vegetarians. During most of restaurants visits, there are few delicacies which always tops the list of menu for the order, one of them is Paneer Makhanwala.
As the name says, Paneer Makhanwala is a rich paneer dunked in buttered gravy of Onion-tomato cashew base. Well, if you are calorie conscious, then you may think that butter added is little more. But, it wouldn’t be a justice to the dish if less butter is added as it’s name itself says makhanwala. When it comes to richness, taste and authenticity of the dish, I never compromise on addition of butter, oil or ghee to the dish coz once in a while it is absolutely fine to enjoy it.
It is an easy to cook restaurant style paneer recipe and makes an ultimate menu for any party or weekend menu. Not only for parties, but you can enjoy this just as a weeknight dinner. It make an awesome combo with parathas, along with some salad on the side, And so it is completely worth to add this paneer curry recipe along with paneer butter masala and Paneer Pasanda in an Indian meal plan list. The consistency and spiciness of the gravy can be adjusted accordingly to your preference. This paneer dish braces any kind of parathas or naans, kulchas or pulaos dazzlingly.
Paneer Makhanwala Ingredients:
This restayrant style paneer sabji recipe, calls for basic ingredients and includes two steps. First, it preparation of onion tomato cashew nut gravy. For tomato cashewnut gravy, we will be needing butter, onions, cashewnuts and tomatoes. Second part is to prepare paneer makhanwala gravy. For this makhanwala gravy, we need, shajeera and bay leaves. If in case, you fall short of shajeera whch is aka caraway seeds, then without any doubt, you can go ahead with cumin seeds.
Then, we need, ginger paste, garlic paste, green chillies, either crushed or a paste. The other essentials ingredients includes, red chilli powder, coriander powder, tumeric, garam masala powder and salt. Another important flavour enhancer to paneer makhanwala is kasuri methi, fresh cream and honey.
Do you know, what imparts the real restaurant style taste in this recipe? okay, let me tell you. Addition of few spoons of chopped capsicum and yes the recipes has to be fully cooked in butter. To make no onion no garlic paneer makhanwala recipe, just skip onions and garlic paste and proceed with rest of the steps. Most noteworthy, please do not forget to follow the step of cooking the paneer in a correct way. That, I have shared in my restaurant style palak paneer post
Important Tips To Make Best Paneer Makhanwala Recipe
To make best makhanwala recipe, always use fresh and best quality paneer cubes. If fresh paneer is not available, then you can make it best malai panner at home.
For the real restaurant flavour, do not forget to add tomato puree and chopped capsicum to the recipe. Another important point, make paneer makhanwala in butter only, a mix of oil and butter or ghee may not impart that makhani flavour to the dish.
If you wish to smoke the panner makhanwala, then heat the charcoal to red hot on direct stove top flame. Then carefully place the heated charcoal on ina bowl and place the bowl over the curry. Then, pour 1 teaspoon of ghee over the red hot charcoal and immediately cover the pot with lid. Allow it rest for 5-7 minutes to infuse the smoky flavour. AFer that, discard the charcoal and you have restaurnt style panner makhanwala ready to enjoy
Instead of cashew nuts, you can add blanched and peeled almond to the makhanwala gravy. Lastly, do not skip kasuri methi and cream to get the real restaurant style paneer makhanwala dish at home. If you do not have store bought cream then you can use fresh malai also to the gravy.
So, quickly lets head on to how to make best paneer makhanwala recipe at home.....
You Might Also like:
Paneer Makhanwala Recipe below:
to prepare paneer makhanwala recipe
- 1 cup Onion (chopped)
- 4 Large Tomatoes (chopped)
- 25 nos Cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp Butter (butter)
- 400 g Paneer ( cut in 1 inch squares)
- 1 Green Chilies (crushed or paste (you may add more if preferred))
- ¼ cup Capsicum (very finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 4 tbsp Tomato puree
- ¾ tsp Garam masala powder
- 2 tsp Kashmiri chili powder
- ¾ tsp Turmeric Powder (turmeric powder)
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder (coriander powder)
- 1 tsp Shajeera (Caraway Seeds) ((You can also use cumin seeds))
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 tbsp Cream (cream)
- 1 tsp Honey (honey)
- 1 and ¼ tsp Kasuri Methi (kasuri methi)
- 5 tbsp Butter (butter)
- Salt to taste
- Warm water as required
To make tomato cashew masala:
- To start with, first, melt 1 tbsp of butter in a pan.
- Then add chopped onions and fry until soft and pink
- After that, add cashewnuts and fry for 2-3 minutes until just roasted.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and saute on high for a minute.
- Now, allow it cook until tomatoes are soft. take it off the heat and cool it completely
- Once the onion tomato masala cools down, add it to a blender and blend it to a smooth paste.
how to make paneer makhanwala:
- Now, to make paneer makhanwala, first, melt 5 tbsps of butter in a pan.
- Then add shajeera and bay and fry for few seconds until aromatic.
- Next, add ginger paste, garlic paste and green chilli paste and saute for 2-3 minutes or until raw small goes off.
- Then, add chopped capsicum and fry for another 1-2 minutes
- Now, add prepared onion tomato cashew masala paste and saute on high for a minute or two.
- Then, add salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric and tomato puree, mix well.
- Once the masalas combines well, add warm water as per the consistency required. I added Only ¾ cup of warm water. Then bring it to a boil.
- As the makhanwala gravy cooks, it will start leaving the oil. Then add garam masala powder, kasuri methi, honey and paneer cubes, cook for another minute.
- Finally add cream and cook for 30 seconds.
- Restaurant style Paneer Makhanwala recipes is ready to serve. Dish out, garnish with cream and serve hot.
How to make paneer makhanwala step by step:
To make tomato cashew masala:
- To start with, first, melt 1 tbsp of butter in a pan.
2. Then add chopped onions and fry until soft and pink
3. After that, add cashewnuts and fry for 2-3 minutes until just roasted.
4. Then add chopped tomatoes and saute on high for a minute.
5. Now, allow it cook until tomatoes are soft. Take it off the heat and cool it completely
6. Once the onion tomato masala cools down, add it to a blender and blend it to a smooth paste.
to make paneer makhanwala recipe:
- So, to make paneer makhanwala, first, melt 5 tbsps of butter in a pan or a kadhai.
2. Then add shajeera and bay and fry for few seconds until aromatic.
3. Next, add ginger paste, garlic paste and green chilli paste and saute for 2-3 minutes or until raw small goes off.
4. Then, add chopped capsicum and fry for another 1-2 minutes
5. Now, add prepared onion tomato cashew masala paste and saute on high for a minute or two.
6. Then, add salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric and tomato puree, mix well.
7. Once the masalas combines well, add warm water as per the consistency required. I added Only ¾ cup of warm water. Then bring it to a boil.
8. As the makhanwala gravy cooks, it will start leaving the oil. Then add garam masala powder, kasuri methi, honey and paneer cubes, cook for another minute.
9. Finally add cream and cook for 30 seconds.
10. Restaurant style Paneer Makhanwala recipe is ready to serve. Dish out, garnish with cream and serve hot.
What’s the difference between paneer makhanwala, paneer butter masala and shahi paneer? They all look amazing.
All three are similar but not the same if you notice. Paneer butter masala is butter laden dish in basic tomato cashew nut gravy. Whereas Paneer makhanwala is also butter laden dish in onion tomato cashew nut gravy along with the hint of capsicum. Shahi paneer is royal dish cooked in along cashew gravy along with saffron and hint of nutmeg and green cardamom.
I hope this helps 🙂
I tried this recipe today & couldn’t stop licking my fingers..it was absolutely delicious & totally restaurant style..thanks a lot farrukh for sharing the recipe!!
Thank you very much. Am extremely glad you loved it very much 🙂
Paneer Makhanwala looks so delicious. Its calling me out to try my hands on asap. Looks like a real restaurant style Paneer Makhanwala. Bookmarked!
Thank you 🙂
Will definitely try the recipe👌👌
Stunning photography Farrukh!
Looks so delicious Farrukh. I can't go without mentioning that delicious, flaky laccha paratha too.! Yummy combo!