Paneer Butter masala recipe – one of the most loved paneer recipes by readers. A remarkable creamy, mildly sweet paneer dish cooked in tomato cashew nut gravy, spices and cream in restaurant style. A different and utterly tasty recipe than the other butter paneer recipes out there, so make it now and enjoy !
Up here on the blog today, is an excellent creamy and tasty easy Paneer Butter Masala Recipe, an authentic Punjabi recipe. Indian cottage cheese known as Paneer in hindi, I can say is considered as the king in veg dishes at eating joints and restaurants, isn’t it?
After all, any easy paneer recipes are all time love for we Indians. All in all, a perfect restaurant made or dhaba flavour paneer gravy to enjoy occasionally or frequently at home.
From quick family meal to dinner parties, or weekend brunch, this paneer butter masala recipe will never ever fail you.
Difference between Paneer Butter Masala Recipe and Paneer Makhani Recipe
Restaurant style Paneer Butter Masala recipe and Paneer Makhani are not exactly the same. Here, you will find a very slight difference in both even though they both are cooked in butter(makhan).
Butter paneer gravy has the base of tomatoes cooked with spices, cashew nuts and which is then pureed. While, in paneer makhani recipe, the makhani gravy has a base of chopped onions, whole spices, seasonings and tomato puree. However, many do call butter paneer masala as paneer makhani also.
Easy Paneer Butter Masala Ingredients
- Here, I have used fresh malai paneer cubes, tomatoes and cashew nuts and of course lots of butter.
- This is followed by a piece of ginger garlic, green chilies, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, bay leaf.
- Then comes the spice powders like dhaniya powder (coriander powder), haldi (turmeric) powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, Garam masala powder and salt.
- Lastly, we need kasuri Methi. Adding little sugar to the gravy gives mild sweetness as well as spark to the gravy.
- Cream, packed as well as homemade fresh ones can also be used.
- Pro tip: In my palak paneer restaurant style recipe, I have shared few essential tips on how to keep paneer soft while making any paneer recipes. Please do refer to this tip before, heading to cook this easy paneer butter masala recipe or any dhaba style paneer gravy recipes.
- If you are looking for Jain version, a no onion no garlic restaurant style paneer butter masala gravy, the only thing you need to do is just skip garlic and proceed with rest. However, we are NOT using onion in this recipe of butter masala gravy. So, just skipping the garlic from this recipe, will solve the purpose easily.
Can Paneer Butter Masala be frozen?
Yes, we can freeze butter paneer masala in a clean airtight container for good 4 months. Before serving, thaw it well on the counter and reheat it in microwave or on stove top. Thaw it at the counter for few hours and proceed with addition of paneer to give the final touch to the gravy.
Tips to make best Paneer Butter Masala at home:
- To make paneer butter masala, always use best quality fresh malai paneer cubes. You can also make malai paneer at home as well.
- Always, pick firm red tomatoes to make butter masala gravy to get the best result.
- While making the butter masala paste, make sure that the masala paste is blended fine and smooth. This will result in smooth silky buttery gravy.
- As the name says, make the paneer butter masala recipe in BUTTER ONLY. However, you can use the mix of oil and butter to cook the curry, but when cooked in butter, it gives authentic rich the real butter paneer masala at home.
- If you love the dhaba style smoky flavor in Paneer butter masala, then proceed with the charcoal dhungar following the steps that I have shown in Chicken tikka masala
How to Make Vegan Paneer Butter Masala?
Are you looking for vegan butter masala recipe? Okay ! so, to make vegan curry, just swap the paneer with tofu or vegan paneer, and dairy butter with vegan butter. Also substitute fresh cream with cashew cream or coconut cream. And, vegan tofu butter masala Recipe ready for you.
What to serve with Paneer Butter Masala?
We can serve this restaurant style paneer butter masala with any Indian flatbread bread i.e. Roti/Phulka, Garlic Butter naan regular or Butter Tandoori Roti, butter Naan, laccha paratha and Roomali Roti.
Undoubtedly, the dish goes best with zafrani pulao, plain rice, peas pulao or Jeera rice along with salads on the side or just sliced onion rings and lemon slices.
How to make Paneer Butter Masala Recipe – step by step photos
- To begin with, in a pan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. While the butter melts, add shahjeera and fry for few seconds (photo 1)
- As the shah jeera is getting fried, then add garlic, ginger and green chili for few seconds (photo2)
- Once the raw small of garlic goes off, its time to add cashews. So, now add cashew nuts and fry for a minute (photo 3)
- Then, add tomatoes and sauté on high for a minute (photo 4)
- Cook until tomatoes are soft. Once the tomatoes are soft and everything cooks well, take it off the heat and cool completely (photo 5)
- After the cooked tomatoe masala cools off completely, add it to the grinder and blend it a fine paste (photo 6)
- Important tip: you can freeze this butter masala gravy in clean freezer safe container or zip pouch easily for up to 4 months. Whenever you wish to make butter paneer or any veg gravy, just thaw it at room temperature for some time and you are good to go.
to cook paneer butter masala gravy
- Firstly, to make paneer butter masala recipe, we need to melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a pan or kadhai. While the butter melts, add bay leaf and cinnamon stick, fry for few seconds (photo 7)
- Then, lower the heat and add turmeric powder, red chilies powder and coriander powder (photo 8)
- Once the spices powders cooks well and raw smell goes off, add kasuri methi, fry for few seconds. Be sure to avoid the burning of masalas (photo 9)
- Now, add the prepared butter masala gravy, saute on high for a minute until everything mixes well (photo 10)
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until masala starts releasing the oil (photo 11)
- Then, add little water depending upon the consistency of the butter paneer gravy you need. Do not add too much water at a time. Bring it to a boil (photo 12)
- Once the gravy start boiling, add cream and mix. Cook for a minute (photo 13)
- Lastly, add paneer, garam masala powder and sugar. Mix well. Cook for only a minute. So if you wish, you may add some kasuri methi if you prefer. Easy butter paneer gravy is ready to serve (photo 14)
Some of the best Paneer Recipes you might want to try:
- Paneer Makhanwala
- Palak Paneer Kofta Curry
- Matar Paneer
- Paneer Bhurji
- Restaurant style Paneer Pasanda Recipe here if you are looking for easy restaurant style paneer recipes.
💓 We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories !
Have you tried this “Paneer Butter Masala Recipe“? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.
Easy Paneer Butter Masala Recipe CardPrint
Paneer Butter Masala recipe – is a remarkable creamy dish of paneer cooked in tomato cashew nut gravy, spices and cream. A different and absolutely tasty recipe than other butter paneer recipes out there, so make it now!
for preparation of paneer butter masala
- 200 grams, Paneer, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 4 medium tomatoes (ripe and firm red tomatoes), roughly chopped
- 9-10 cashew nuts
- 1 teaspoon, Shajeera
- ½ inch, ginger piece, chopped or grated
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped or crushed
- 1 inch, cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon, haldi powder (turmeric)
- 1 teaspoon, dhaniya powder (coriander powder)
- 1 ½ teaspoon, Kashmiri red chili powder(Kashmiri lal mirch powder)
- ¾ teaspoon, garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon, kasuri methi
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon, sugar
- 2 tablespoons, cream
- 1 tablespoon + 4 tablespoons, butter
how to prepare paneer butter masala paste
- In a pan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. While the butter melts, add shajeera and fry for few seconds
- Then, add garlic, ginger and green chili for few seconds
- Now add cashew nuts and fry for a minute
- Add tomatoes and sauté on high for a minute.
- Cook until tomatoes are soft. Now, take it off the heat and cool completely
- Grind the butter masala gravy to a very fine paste.
TIP: At this stage, you can store butter masala gravy in clean freezer safe container or zip pouch easily for up to 6 months. Whenever you wish to make any paneer curry or veg gravy, just thaw it at room temperature for some time and you are good to go.
how to make paneer butter masala gravy
- To make butter masala recipe, next we need to melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a pan or kadhai. Next, add bay leaf and cinnamon stick, fry for few seconds
- Then, lower the heat and add turmeric powder, red chilies powder and coriander powder
- Now add kasuri methi and mix.
- Then, add butter masala gravy, saute on high for a minute. Stir in between
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until masala starts releasing the oil.
- Now, add little water depending upon the consistency of the gravy you need. Do not add too much water at a time.
- Bring it to a boil. Once the gravy boils, add cream and mix. Cook for a minute.
- Add paneer, garam masala powder and sugar. Mix well. Cook for only a minute. Add some more kasuri methi if you prefer. Butter Paneer is ready to serve. Serve this restautant style paneer butter masala with tandoori roti, butter naan or pulao of your choice.
- If you have allergy to cashew nuts or if they are not available with you, swap the cashew nuts with blanched and peeled almonds or melon seeds. Some times, I do use almonds for paneer butter masala gravy instead of cashew nuts.
- You can adjust the amount of green chillies and red chilli powder as per you liking. Ofcourse, you can add more to make it a spicy butter paneer.
Keywords: Paneer Butter Masala, Paneer Butter Masala Recipe, Paneer Recipes, Butter Paneer