Best Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe | How to make Indian Chicken Tikka Masala step by step. Indian chicken tikka masala, is an easy curry recipe of succulent roasted chicken pieces dunked in rich creamy tomato gravy. Firstly, to make tandoori chicken, we have to marinate the chicken pieces in tikka marinade and then either grilled in an oven or tandoor. Then, we need to simmer tandoori chicken tikka in a creamy tomato based gravy. This tomato base gravy is called as tikka masala gravy. Though, you will see many variations in the tikka masala gravy, but there are few main components in it, lots of tomatoes, cumin, fresh cream. Serve this absolutely delicious restaurant style chicken tikka masala gravy with zafrani pulao or on the bed of hot steamed rice :). This chicken dish pairs beautifully with Indian flatbreads. i.e kulchas, naan or laccha paratha.
Indian Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe (Step by Step)
Today, up on the blog is, a popular chicken recipe not only in Indian but all around the world, especially UK. Yes, it’s best Indian Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe.
Do you all know that , chicken tikka masala is a ‘True National Dish of Britain. It is said that, this tikka masala recipe was originated in Glassgow, Scotland. And, in India they say, the chicken tikka masala origin is Moti mahal, Delhi. History of this dish says that, chefs came out with this recipe when they wanted to use the left over chicken tikka, to avoid wastage.
Truly speaking, whatever the history says, for us, the fact is, this super delicious restaurant style chicken tikka is always a hero. Now, let’s talk about how to make best Indian Chicken tikka masala recipe at home.
What is Chicken Tikka Masala?
Chicken Tikka Masala is rich dish of chunks of roasted/tandoori chicken cooked in creamy tomato base gravy and aromatic spices. The roasted chicken chunks are knowns as Tikka (bite sized pieces).
Firstly, the chicken chunks needs a marination into few spices, ginger garlic paste, yogurt and mainly cumin powder. Then, roast or grill the chicken pieces to get Tandoori chicken tikka. Now, these tikka pieces are combined with spiced tomato gravy( the tikka masala gravy).
How to make Tandoori Chicken tikka Recipe at home:
Apart from this Indian chicken tikka masala, the other great dish or we should say chicken starter that we indians love to order in restaurant is Tandoori chicken Tikka/ Murgh Tikka. The chicken tikka is put in tikka masala gravy.
However, there is one small difference, when we want to relish tandoori chicken tikka as starters, Ajwain (carom seeds) and roasted besan (chickpea flour) is used in tikka marinade. Furthermore, most of the restaurants use mustard oil for marinade than refined oil for tandoori chicken tikka recipe.
If you are planning to make tandoori chicken tikka, then, I would recommend you use 1 teaspoon of ajwain and 2 tablespoons of roasted besan for below mentioned chicken measure. Then, skewers the marinated chicken and either tandoor it or cook it in an oven at 200 degrees centrigrade for 25-30 minutes. If you do not have the oven or tandoor, you can use use grill pan to cook it on stove top. Then, give the dhungar tandoori chicken tikka for smoky flavour.
Most noteworthy, if you wish to make restaurant style chicken tikka masala recipe, then I would say, skip adding besan to the tikka marinade. Because, it slightly changes the taste and flavour of the dish. But, still, there is no such rule to follow or skip it. You are a better judge to your taste and palate 🙂
Ingredients used to make best Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe:
Now, comes the listing of ingredients. For tikka marinade, I have used nice thick yogurt (curd/dahi), ginger garlic paste, Red chilli powder, turmeric, roasted cumin powder salt and pepper powder. As you see in ingredients list below, I have mentioned about adding red food colour, if you wish. Having said that, I did not add any colour to the marinade
The other flavour enhancing ingredients are kasuri methi (dry fenugreek) and lemon juice. Another important point to remember is, the use of good quality garam masala powder. The good quality masala gives the lovely bold flavour to the tikka boti, else the flavour wont stand out. In that case, if masala is not good, the dish might need some more garam masala powder to enhance the flavour of dish. Thus, a good quality garam masala is preferable. You can also use your homemade garam masala powder.
For Tikka Masala Gravy:
To make tikka masala gravy, we need to use onions, ginger garlic paste, and loads of tomatoes. Yes, tomatoes are the base of the dish. Tomato puree as well as the chopped tomatoes are the important part of this dish.
The spice powders like red chilli powder, haldi powder (turmeric), coriander powder, roasted cumin powder, and salt are used, The other ingredients are few whole spices. i.e cinnamon sticks, elaichi (green cardamom), cloves and cumin seeds. A small secret is, an ingredient that makes the dish more flavourful is the addition of some finely chopped capsicum.
Lastly, the main component that adds spike to the dish is good amount of cream, honey and kasuri methi. Unlike butter chicken or paneer butter masala, Chicken tikka masala is one such dish that requires little more cream. The addition of honey gives the balance to the dish because good amount of tomatoes have been used in it. The tartness of the dish cuts of due to honey.
So, if you want to enjoy the authentic Chicken tikka masala recipe at a home, do follow the recipe to the ‘T’. Also, the measures of spoon for spices and ingredients used in this recipe is standard spoon and cup measures.
How to make Indian Chicken Tikka Masala in a Slow Cooker?
I know, you must be wondering, can we make chicken tikka masala recipe in a slow cooker? So, let me tell you that yes you can make it in slow cooker as well.
In this, all the ingredients for tikka masala gravy is added together, except cream and kasuri methi. Then allow it cook for on high for 4 hours. Usually, marinated chicken is added to the slow cooker along with the masala gravy ingredients. Then, cream honey and kasuri methi is added later. This will also give lovely creamy smooth chicken masala gravy.
But I would recommend to add grilled chicken to it along with cream, honey and kasuri methi later to get that authentic tikka masala taste. And then again slow cook for another 15-20minutes. Lastly, go ahead with dhungar (smoking of tikka masala) which I have mentioned in the steps below.
Some of best chicken recipes you might want to try :
Restaurant style Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe below:
Best Chicken tikka Masala- this is an easy chicken recipe of a succulent roasted chicken pieces dunked in rich creamy tomato gravy. Indian Chicken tikka masala is a popular chicken gravy dish found across the world. Serve the dish with your favourite Indian flatbread or plain/flavoured rice along with onions rings on the sides. Here is how to make best restaurant style chicken tikka masala recipe at home.
To make chicken tikka marinade:
- 750 gms, boneless chicken, cut in bite sized cubes
- 5 tabslespoons, thick full cream yogurt
- 1 teaspoon, kashmiri red chilli powder
- 3/4 tablespoon, ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon, garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon, turmeric powder
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoon, roasted cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon, garam masala powder (a good quality garam masala)
- 1 teaspoon, kasuri methi
- 1 tablespoon, lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- a pinch of red colour (optional), I have not added any.
To make tikka masala gravy:
- 5, large tomatoes, finely chopped or blended coarsely
- 3/4 cup, onions, finely chopped or blended coarsley
- 1/2 tablespoon, ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon, cumin seeds
- 1-2 nos, green chili, chopped
- 4-5 nos, green cardamom
- 2 sticks, cinnamonof 1 inch size
- 6-8 nos, cloves
- 6 tabslespoons, tomato puree
- 4 tbsps, capsicum, finely chopped
- 250 ml, fresh cream
- 1 teaspoon, cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon, turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoon, Kashmiri red chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon, kasuri methi (dried fenugreek)
- 2 teaspoon, honey
- 4 tablespoons, oil
- 3 tablespoons, butter
for dhungar (smoke chicken tikka masala)
- Burning piece of charcoal
- 1 tsp of ghee.
To make chicken tikka:
- In a bowl add chicken pieces and all the ingredients mentioned for tikka marinade.
- Once the marinade is done, cover and refrigerate it overnight. If in hurry marinate atleast for 2 hours.
- Pre-heat the oven at 200 degrees. Place the marinated chicken pieces in a tray or skewer it. I have used a tray
- Broil the chicken for 20-25 mins or till its charred. You can also grill it in a tandoor or a grill pan.
To make Tikka Masala Gravy:
- In a pan or kadhai, heat oil and butter together.
- Add green cardamom, cinnamon stick and cloves. Fry it for 10 seconds, cover it, switch off the heat and leave it for half a minute so that the aroma of the spices gets infused in the oil and butter. You may discard the cloves, cardamom and cinnamon stick or leave them as it is.
- Turn on the heat. Add cumin seeds, salt and finely chopped onions. Fry until onions are translucent.
- Add green chilies and ginger garlic paste and mix. Cook for few seconds until raw smell goes off.
- Now, add chopped tomatoes, cook till tomatoes gets soft and its water dries up.
- Then, add capsicum, coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric and mix. Cook for a minutes
- Next, add tomato puree and cumin powder. mix and cook for another minute.
- Now, add 3/4 cup of warm water and cook for 2 to 3 mins.
- Add chicken pieces, cream, honey, and garam masala powder. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Lastly, add kasuri methi and simmer for another minute.
For Dhungar (to smoke chicken tikka masala gravy):
- Heat a piece of charcoal on open flame on stove top.
- Once the gravy is done, place a small steel bowl or piece of aluminium foil on top of the gravy.
- Put the heated charcoal on the foil.
- Pour 1 tsp of ghee over it to create smoke. Immediately, cover it with a tight lid to allow the smoke to penetrate in the gravy. Let it stand for 10 mins.
- Discard the charcoal.
- Dish out and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve Chicken tikka masala with steamed rice or zafrani pulao and naan or laccha paratha
- You can add water to the gravy as per the required consistency.
- Spiciness of the dish can be adjusted as per the personal preference.
- Chicken tikka can be made a day in advance, and next day add it to the tikka masala gravy (for guests, get togethers and daawat)
How to make Indian Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe Step by Step:
To make chicken tikka:
- In a bowl add chicken pieces and all the ingredients mentioned under marinade.
2. Once the marinade is done, cover and refrigerate it overnight. If in hurry marinate atleast for 2 hours.
3. Pre-heat the oven at 200 degrees. Place the marinated chicken pieces in a tray or skewer it. I have used a tray
4. Broil the chicken for 20-25 mins or till its charred. You can also grill it in a tandoor or a grill pan.
To make Chicken Tikka Masala Gravy :
- In a pan or kadhai, heat oil and butter together.
2. Now, add green cardamom, cinnamon stick and cloves. Fry it for 10 seconds, cover it, switch off the heat and leave it for half a minute so that the aroma of the spices gets infused in the oil and butter. You may discard the cloves, cardamom and cinnamon stick or leave them as it is.
3. Turn on the heat and add cumin seeds, salt and finely chopped onions. Fry until onions are translucent.
4. Add green chilies and ginger garlic paste and mix. Cook for few seconds until raw smell goes off.
5. Now, add chopped tomatoes, cook till tomatoes gets soft and its water dries up.
6. Then, add capsicum, coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric and mix. Cook for a minutes
7. Now, add tomato puree and cumin powder. mix and cook for another minute.
8. Then, add 3/4 cup of warm water and cook for 2 to 3 mins.
9. Its time to add chicken pieces, cream, honey, and garam masala powder now. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the gray just thickens. However, if you wish to have a thin gravy then adjust the consistency accordingly
10. Lastly, add kasuri methi and simmer for another minute.
For Dhungar (smoke chicken tikka masala):
1. First, Heat a piece of charcoal on open flame on stove top.
2. Once the gravy is done, place a small steel bowl or piece of aluminium foil on top of the gravy. Put the heated charcoal on the foil.
3. Now, pour 1 tsp of ghee over it to create smoke. Then, immediately, cover it with a tight lid to allow the smoke to penetrate in the gravy. Let it stand for 10 mins.
4. Now, Discard the charcoal. Dish out and garnish with coriander leaves. Best Chicken Tikka Masala is ready to serve.