This fresh Pomegranate Juice is thousand times tastier and much superior than the store bought bottled, tetra packs or canned juices! So, start your day with this pure and refreshing homemade pomegranate juice and reap out all its health benefits.
With detailed step-by-step guide and video tutorial to show how to cut pomegranate fruit, deseed and how to make its juice at home.
We have been on spree to eat lots of salads, herbal or tisane tea (we love sipping this refreshing Ginger Turmeric Tea) and fresh fruit juices (do try our favorite homemade Watermelon Juice) on daily basis past quite sometime. This homemade fresh Pomegranate Juice is one of them.
So, let's discuss in detail about how to cut pomegranate easily and juice it, its nutrition and health benefits.
Here's the best pomegranate juice for you
Pomegranate juice is beautifully sweet and slightly tart, one of the most popular fruit drink which we really love to sip on. Gorgeous ruby red arils when squeezed or blended to extract its juice is pure freshness.
It is one of the healthiest juices that tastes great on its own or in smoothies. We love to drink it straight from the glass after juicing those deep red seeds.
I have been thinking since long to share this pomegranate juice post, it was in draft for almost 2 months.
We all know pomegranate or anar is one such fruit which is not only delicious but laden with so many benefits great for our mind and body. In short, pomegranates are super healthy and tasty.
Honestly, healthy juices do not have to be only green. This deep red juice possesses far more benefits than any other fruit drink you would think of.
I know, it is bit of a task to cut and deseed the pomegranates. But, believe me, once you know the health benefits these tiny red beauties hold, you would definitely make a habit of drinking pomegranate juice daily first thing in the morning.
I remember very well how my grandmother used to juice the arils when there were no blenders then. She used to sit and patiently deseed the fruit first. Then, using clean muslin cloth she squeezed out the arils to extract all the juice from it. And we were patiently waiting to enjoy fresh juice she made for us 🙂 .
Cutting the pomegranate fruit
To begin with, give a gentle wash to the fruit and pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Carefully, using pairing knife slit the pomegranate peel around its crown.
- Take off the cut crown peel and discard.
- Now, make the slits across the fruit from where you see white membranes dividing the fruit within.
- It can be 4 and sometimes 5 sections. So you can give the incisions accordingly.
5. Gently break open the cut pomegranate by pulling out the sections.
6. Pomegranate easily separates into parts.
7. Now, take one cut section and hold it in one hand. Gently push the arils out using your fingers and thumb. This way most of the pomegranate seeds will also come out itself without much effort. You will see lot of thin white membranes and pith within the fruit. Those get easily separated while taking out the seeds, discard them.
8. Collect the seeds in bowl.
Note : Please do not use nails to pull out the arils as it will damage them spilling out stains on your work area as well on your clothes.
Step by step juice recipe
9- Add the pomegranate seeds into blender.
10- Pulse until seeds are just crushed, few seeds may still remain intact. It takes not more than 15 seconds of blending.
11- Pass the blended pulp through the strainer. Using spatula or spoon, press the pulp against the strainer to strain all the juice.
12- Juice is ready to serve.
Pour in serving glass. You can add seltzer (club soda) or sparkling water along with some pink salt or black salt and lemon or lime to flavor it.
Deseed pomegranate using water
So here's the another method you find on the net where you will see how to peel pomegranate using water.
- In this method, you need to immerse the cut pom section in water in a big bowl. Remove the seeds using fingers.
- Seeds will settle down while the white pith and membranes floats on top. Discard them, strain the arils and use.
- Some people may find this method easy. But, remember as the pomegranate seeds come in contact with water, they get soggy and start to go bad fast.
You really need to use seeds right away in this case.
Storing the arils
Store the the peeled arils in clean and dry airtight container. It stays very well upto 8 days.
Further, please avoid washing the seeds if you want to store it upto a week. Or the seeds turn brown and spoil fast.
Pomegranate arils has lot of culinary uses apart from turning into drink. You can make delicious salads, syrups, jams and lots of garnish in most of the dishes.
One of the popular form is pomegranate molasses made by simmering its juice at least for an hour. It has great significance in Middle Eastern cooking.
Well, the best way to enjoy it is to drink it as is or try some of the below ideas for more fancy drinks. Here's what all you can do with this homemade fresh juice!
- You can make flavorful fruit mock-tails by mixing it with Orange, Mango Juice, Apple, Cranberry or Pineapple juice.
- Transform this gorgeous red juice into Pomegranate Virgin Mojito (Spritzer) by adding seltzer, some crushed ginger, fresh mint and lemon or lime.
- Further, add it to make flavourful smoothie along with fruits like strawberries, peaches, pears, and bananas. Or simply blend the juice with yogurt to make refreshing lassi.
- Moreover, you can make some nice yogurt pomegranate popsicles or frozen yogurt to serve as dessert on occasions.
- You can make a lot of variations with this refreshing pomegranate juice and add to your Thanksgiving menu to enjoy with your family and friends.
Health benefits of pomegranate
Apart from culinary uses, pomegranate has been used for its medicinal properties since thousands of years.
In fact, consuming moderate amount of pom fruit or its juice daily helps boost immunity and may help in preventing illness.
1- The vibrant red hue seeds are super rich in polyphenols. So, studies show that it can reduce the risk or help to fight certain types of cancer by inhibiting cancer cells growth.
2- The juice contains more polyphenol antioxidant than any other fruit juices, red wine or even green tea. It can help in removing free radicals and protects the cells from damage.
3- Pomegranate seeds has powerful anti inflammatory properties due to high amount of antioxidants which can help reduce inflammation all over the body.
4- Studies and research has also shown some great effects of pomegranate juice in Hypertension patients. Regular intake in small amounts (½ a cup) may lower the blood pressure levels, especially the systolic blood pressure.
5- Pomegranate helps in building immunity as it is rich in Vitamin C, E, K and is a good source of folate and Potassium.
6- It can help improving cholesterol profile which means less risk of getting a heart disease.
Disclaimer : The benefits or the content as a whole, should not be taken as a substitute for medical advice of a professional. If you have any underlying condition, you should kindly consult a qualified health expert or your medical professional.
Frequently Asked Questions
Always pick the ones that are bright red with blemish free skin. The outer skin should look fresh and moist.
It is best to pick plump pomegranates than the ones with dry skin or with low moisture.
Try and buy them from farmer's market or from wholesale stores (like Costco) .
They are best in season through August to December. And October to December in the US.
Pomegranate is rich in polyphenols and hence great antioxidant.
So, you can take it in small amounts as good as ½ cup everyday. Taking it in moderation over a period of time is said to be helpful for your mind and body.
Avoid using it only if your allergic or have sensitivity to it.
Fresh juice stays well in refrigerator upto 4 days. Transfer the leftover juice to a clean air tight jar and refrigerate. However, fresh juice when stored for long tends to loose it's freshness. So, making them fresh is best.
Instead, I would suggest to refrigerate the pomegranate arils in clean container and juice it fresh as and when needed. Arils stays good upto a week in the fridge.
Yes it can be frozen in a clean airtight container upto 5 months.
You can also freeze it in ice cubes tray and add it to your favorite mock-tails, smoothies or spritzers. Or use as is.
Yes, you can indeed introduce this juice to babies in small amounts after they are six months of age.
Deseed and juice the arils. Pass it over the strainer lined with clean muslin cloth to avoid any seeds getting into the juice.
More delicious fresh fruit drinks for you
If you made this homemade Pomegranate Juice Recipe, then please be sure to rate and review them below!
If you'd like more deliciously easy recipe inspiration, follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook or YouTube. You can also get all of my newest content delivered straight to your inbox by signing up for my email newsletter.
How to Cut and Juice a Pomegranate
- 6 Large Pomegranates
For Serving (optional)
- A pinch of Pink Salt or Black Salt
- Seltzer (Club Soda)
Cutting the pomegranate
- First, give a gentle wash to the fruit and pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Carefully, using pairing knife slit the pomegranate peel around its crown. Take off the cut crown peel and discard.
- Make the slits across the fruit from where you see white membranes dividing the fruit within. It can be 4 and sometimes 5 sections. So you can give the incisions accordingly.
- Gently break open the fruit by pulling out the sections, fruit gets easily separated into parts.
- Now, take one cut fruit section and hold it in one hand. Gently push the arils out using your fingers and thumb. This way most of the seeds will also come out itself without much effort.
- You will see lot of thin white membranes and pith within the fruit. Those get easily separated while taking out the seeds, discard them.
- Collect the pom arils in a bowl, it is ready to use.
- Add the arils into blender jar. Pulse until seeds are just crushed, few seeds may still remain intact. It takes not more than 15 seconds of blending.
- Pass the blended pulp through the strainer. Using spatula or spoon, press the pulp against the strainer to strain all the juice.
- Pour in serving glasses. You can add seltzer (club soda) or sparkling water to the juice along with some pink salt or black salt and lemon or lime to flavor it. Serve immediately.