Fall is fast approaching, but before it arrives do yourself a favor and make this delightful Peach Salad. Made with peppery arugula, over-the-top-creamy burrata, grilled marinated chicken breast and juicy blueberries, there is no better ode to the bounty of summer.
Why You Should Try This Salad
If ever there was a satisfying entrée salad, this right here is it. Fresh summer peaches are the star - and who doesn't love a good peach?? - but the cast of supporting characters is also award winning.
Piquant red onion, sweet blueberries, juicy chicken breast, straciatella-filled fresh mozzarella and a simple mustard vinaigrette are all tossed together with the tastiest, most beautiful stone fruit of all. The mere thought of this peach burrata salad has me drooling!
As if that weren't enough reason to love this tasty bowl of goodness, it also has other winning characteristics. Let's start with the fact that the whole shebang comes together in just 15 minutes... that's not even a whole episode of Friends!
The ingredient list is also super manageable, requiring just 10 easy-to-find ingredients. It also happens to be completely customizable - it IS your salad, after all. Feel free to make substitutions, omissions or additions as you see fit.
Finally, this sweet and savory masterpiece is also healthy. It is loaded with protein, fiber, and a whole litany of nutrients while also managing to be made without the addition of sugar. Imagine that!
So come along with me in the kitchen and let's make this chicken and peach salad together. It's pretty much guaranteed to bring the house down.
Ingredients + Substitutions
As I mentioned earlier, this yummy summer salad is quite simple. You can count all the ingredients you need on your two hands! Here's everything you should gather:
- Peaches - this salad demands the best ripe peaches (or nectarines, if fuzz isn't your thing) you can get your hands on. While there's no substitute for peaches in my heart, you can absolutely replace it with sliced pears or apples in the cooler months .
- Arugula - While I love the peppery flavor of rocket for pairing with the sweet flavor of peaches and blueberries, you can feel free to swap in your own favorite lettuce. Mixed baby greens, baby spinach or kale, or even little gem lettuce would do the trick.
- Burrata - if you are unfamiliar with the pure dairy genius that is burrata, I highly recommend you give it a try. It is basically a round of fresh mozzarella that is stuffed with cream (known as straciatella) and friends? It is to die for. There are other cheeses that will *almost* fill burrata's large shoes; you can go for fresh mozzarella or bocconcini, crumbled feta or goat cheese, or blue cheese instead.
- Blueberries - peaches and blueberries are a natural match. If you don't have any fresh blueberries on hand, you can swap in dried berries instead.
- Red Onion - red onions are my favorite allium for eating raw. Not only are they sweeter than other varieties, they are also a beautiful shade of purple. You can opt to swap in shallots or sweet yellow onions if you prefer.
- Cooked Chicken - any cooked chicken will work here. I usually turn to my favorite pan fried chicken recipe (listed under step-by-step instructions below), but you can easily use rotisserie chicken or leftover grilled chicken, too!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - for raw applications like this salad dressing, cold pressed olive oil will have the best flavor.
- Lemon Juice - fresh is always best when it comes to citrus. To get the most juice from your fruit, give them a firm roll on the counter for 15-20 seconds before slicing them in half.
- Dijon Mustard - Dijon mustard is what emulsifies the vinaigrette. If you don't have Dijon, other smooth mustards will work too.
How To Make Peach Salad
If you do not have leftover cooked chicken on hand, do not worry. Simply season two chicken breasts with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and a bit of garlic powder. Drizzle some olive oil. Cook in a skillet for 5-7 minutes on each side until done, or the center is 165F. Let them rest for few minutes, dice and use.
To make salad dressing, combine extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk well and set it aside to rest for 15 minutes. (You can refrigerate the dressing for upto 5 days.)
Arrange arugula, sliced peaches, cooked chicken, red onion, blueberries and burrata (break the ball and top) on a large platter or a plate.
Drizzle the prepared dressing all over the salad (you can reserve some to keep on the side). Serve promptly and enjoy!
I don't recommend using canned peaches for this salad as they don't have the right consistency.
Of course! Feel free to swap chicken with steak, roasted duck or turkey if you wish. You can also omit it entirely if you are vegetarian.
When it comes to salads, fresh is generally best. To get a jump on meal prep, you can slice up the majority of the salad ingredients, whisk the dressing and refrigerate everything separately. While the salad dressing and other components can be prepped up to 5 days in advance, I recommend slicing the peaches just before serving to prevent ugly discoloration.
Once you make this summery peach salad with arugula and burrata, I have a feeling you'll want to eat it as often as possible while summer remains. Serve it as an appetizer, side dish or as a light and healthy meal. If you want to make your co-workers jealous, pack it as your lunch.
Expert TIP: To keep the peach from browning in your packed lunch, cut it in the morning you plan to eat it and use a bit of saran wrap to hold it together like you would with an apple and a rubber band. Keep the salad dressing separate until you're ready to eat, as the greens will wilt if they are dressed for too long.
More Fruity Recipes
If you tried this recipe for my Peach Salad with Chicken, Arugula and Burrata, please be sure to rate and review it below! Your star ratings and comments make it easier for other readers to find this recipe.
If you would like more delicious recipe inspiration, follow me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook or YouTube. You can also sign up for my email newsletter to get all of my newest content delivered straight to your inbox.
Peach Salad with Arugula and Burrata
- 5 cups Arugula
- 2 large Peaches (pitted and sliced into wedges)
- 2 cups Cooked Chicken Breast (pan-fried, rotisserie or leftover grilled)
- ½ cup Red Onion (sliced)
- ½ cup Blueberries
- 8 oz Burrata Cheese (at room temperature)
For Salad Dressing
- ⅓ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1½ teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Freshly Cracked Pepper
- To make salad dressing, combine extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk well and set it aside to rest for 15 minutes. (You can refrigerate the dressing for upto 5 days.)
- Arrange arugula, sliced peaches, cooked chicken, red onion, blueberries and burrata (break the ball and top) on a large platter or a plate.
- Drizzle the prepared dressing all over the salad (you can reserve some to keep on the side). Serve promptly!