Matar ka Nimona is a traditional matar recipe from Uttar Pradesh made extensively during winters when tender fresh peas are in abundance. A spicy curry of green peas mashed and simmered with tomatoes, dal wadis and spices. Here is how to make best matar nimona recipe step by step.
Matar Ka Nimona is one of the most popular winter dish from North India, especially UP. This fresh peas curry resembles dal, hence referred to as Hare Matar ki Dal in some parts of the region.
The preparation of this traditional UP style matar ka nimona recipe is not at all restricted to winters only. This can be made any season using frozen green peas as well.
We in winters, significantly, shell and freeze the fresh peas for the later use throughout the year. I learnt this from my mother, and every year I deep freeze them in ziplock, without fail.
Matar ka Nimona is best enjoyed with phulkas or parathas, but personally, I relish this spicy deliciousness with hot steamed rice
Let's see below, how to make this delicious curry which is my mom's recipe..
Tips to make Best Matar Ka Nimona Recipe
- For the best taste, always use fresh and tender green peas to make this recipe
- Dal badi are absolutely optional, but I would highly recommend if you get your hands on it, then do add. Badis enhances the flavour aroma and taste of the matar nimona
- Addition of tomatoes lends lovely flavour to curry and it would be good if tomatoes used for this curry are sour. Some people do not add tomatoes to the curry, but we do add as we like the taste of it.
- Some people add potatoes and some people don't. If you wish to, you can add fried potato cubes to the gravy.
How to make matar ka nimona - Step by Step
In a pan or kadhai, heat 2 teaspoons of oil. Add peas ( matar) and saute on high for 2 minutes
Cover and cook until they are soft and can be mashed
Take it off the heat and mash it coarsely with the masher
In another kadhai or pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Add wadis and fry until fragrant and light golden, take them out and reserve
In the same oil, add cumin and allow it to crackle.
Add onions and fry until soft and pink
Then, add ginger garlic paste, green chilli paste and saute for a minute or until raw smell goes off
Add tomatoes, turmeric, and freshly cracked pepper, wadis. Saute for 3-4 until tomatoes are soft and spices are cooked well
Now, add coarsely mashed peas, wadis and salt, mix well
Add water according to the consistency required. Bring it to boil and simmer for another 5-6 minutes.
Finally, add garam masala powder and chopped coriander leaves and mix, cook for another minute
Dish out and serve them hot with phulkas/parathas or rice.
💓 We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories !
Have you tried this “Matar Ka Nimona Recipe“? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.
You can also FOLLOW Me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes and updates
Matar ka Nimona recipe card
Matar ka Nimona
- 2 cups green peas (shelled)
- 2 small onions (finely chopped)
- 250 g Tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp green chili paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 3-4 Moong dal or Urad dal wadi
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¾ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 2-3 tbsp coriander leaves (chopped)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Oil
- 2 tbsp Oil
- In a pan or kadhai, heat 2 teaspoons of oil. Add peas ( matar) and saute on high for 2 minutes
- Cover and cook until they are soft and can be mashed
- Take it off the heat and mash it coarsely with the masher
- In another kadhai or pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Add wadis and fry until fragrant and light golden, take them out and reserve
- In the same oil, add cumin and allow it to crackle.
- Add onions and fry until soft and pink
- Then, add ginger garlic paste, green chilli paste and saute for a minute or until raw smell goes off
- Add tomatoes, turmeric, and freshly cracked pepper, wadis. Saute for 3-4 until tomatoes are soft and spices are cooked well
- Now, add coarsely mashed peas, wadis and salt, mix well
- Add water according to the consistency required
- Bring it to boil and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Finally, add garam masala, chopped coriander leaves and mix, cook for another minute
- Dish out and garnish with chopped green coriander. Serve them hot with phulkas/parathas or rice.
- You may also add fried potato cubes to this matar nimona curry
- Adjust the spiciness as per your liking.
- You can also use finely chopped green chillies instead of paste Add water as per the gravy consistency you like.
- For variation, you can also add soya chunks to the gravy.
I'm going to try this tomorrow. What is wadi?
wadis are sundried spiced lentil dumplings 🙂
Dolphia | Storyofcooks
We get fresh peas only in summer here! Your pea curry reminds me of my ma's curry - Love your styling as always! Gorgeous
Nice recipe....my mom makes something like this , we call it matar ka jhor.
Neways got a question , as i loved ur recipe n wanna make it today 4 dinner but am having frozen mater ke daane. Can i use them...thanks
Thanks Priyanka 🙂
yeah you can use frozen peas..just thaw them and proceed with the recipe steps 🙂
Simpl and tasty.
Mom's recipes are always THE BEST. Looks so good Farrukh
Indeed my dear 🙂