Bengali Baingan bhaja or Begun Bhaja or tawa baingan fry is one of the finest traditional Bengali dish of marinated and pan fried thick eggplant or aubergine slices pan fried in mustard oil.
- 1 large eggplant (aubergine) (cut in 1 cm slices)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¾ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- mustard oil ( for frying)
how to make baingan bhaja
- To start with, firstly, clean, wash and slice the baingan evenly.
- Now, on a plate, add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, sugar, salt and lemon juice
- Then, evenly coat all the slices with prepared spice mix and cover and keep it aside for 10 minutes
- Now, heat mustard oil in a pan (upto 1 cm thickness)
- Gently add marinated baingan into hot oil and fry them from the sides (2 minutes on each side)
- Take out the fried baingan on to a plate.
- Begun bhaja or baingan bhaja is ready to serve. Serve this baingan fry with khichuri, luchi or dal rice.
You may add amchoor (raw mango powder) for more tanginess. Always fry marinated aubergines in mustard oil only to enjoy the essence of authentic Bengali Bhaja
Calories: 156kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 2mg | Potassium: 274mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 25IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 0.5mg