Arbi Masala Curry (Arbi ka Salan) is spicy tangy curry of taro root (colocasia) which is best served with hot steamed rice. This lovely arbi makes a perfect main course curry meals to enjoy. Here is how to make arbi masala recipe at home.
This curry has always been on my favourite’s list. It also goes very well with hot phulkas or parathas. But pairing it with hot steamed rice is my crown pick every time.
There are various ways in which you can cook arbi. Many people prefer to cook by boiling it first. Here, in this recipe, I have directly cooked raw arbi in masalas.
But, when we cook it directly, we always shallow fry it for few minutes before adding it to the masalas. That way the colocasia curry takes much lesser time than by boiling it first.
It is an-easy-to cook dish as it is ready in minutes. So the arbi masala curry will be an ultimate choice to eat good, when you are in a crunch of time.
Include arbi regularly in your meal as it has high fibre content that improves gastrointestinal health. Furthermore, it has high Vitamin C content which boosts our immune system defending our body from illness.
Arbi is an extremely good source of carbs. If you are looking for weight gain, then it is the perfect pick as arbi is high in calories. But, in moderation! It’s a must veggie to include in your diet to get health benefits of it.
Let’s see how to make this delicious arbi masala curry in minutes.
You might also like:
💓 We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories !
Have you tried this Recipe? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.
Arbi Masala Curry
- 250 gms Taro Root
- 3 tablespoons Oil
- ½ teaspoon Methi Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Onion (large, grind to paste)
- ½ teaspoon Ginger Paste
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Paste
- 1 Tomato (large sized, grind to paste.)
- 1 Green chili (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (r)
- 2 tablespoons Tamarind Pulp
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- Salt to taste
- Clean, peel and wash arbi, then slice it vertically into halves.
- In a pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Add halved taro roots and fry them until they are just light brown. Take them off the heat and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, heat 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, cloves and fry for few seconds until aromatic.
- Add onion paste, fry until all the raw smell goes off and they are light brown.
- Add ginger and garlic paste, tomato paste, green chili and fry on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and mix. Cook until masala starts leaving oil.
- Add fried arbi, tamarind paste and mix well.
- Add garam masala powder and mix.
- Add water according to the consistency required.
- Add salt and mix. Bring it to boil. Cover and cook until done (2-3 whistle).
- Dish out and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve Arbi ka khatta salan with hot steamed rice.