Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts are the perfect healthy veggie side dish! This delicious vegan and gluten free recipe is sure to be a hit at all of your dinner parties, holiday gatherings, and weeknight meals. Best of all, crisp brussels are quick and easy to prepare in only 20 minutes with a handful of pantry staples.
Why you should try this recipe?
These crispy air fryer Brussel sprouts are a delicious side dish that really shines!
Hearty, healthy, and utterly irresistible - air frying brussels gives them just the right amount of crunch, with a fork-tender inside and flavor throughout. Every bite is mildly sweet and tangy, with a bit of heat from crushed red pepper.
With all of that big flavor you might be surprised to learn how super quick and easy these sprouts are to make! You need only a handful of pantry staples that are all gluten free and happen to be vegan. With minimal prep they are ready to serve as a tasty side, snack, or appetizer in under 20 minutes.
Try this recipe for your holiday dinners, casual gatherings and game days, or any night you need a veg with pizzaz!
*For more easy and healthy side dishes, be sure to also try these terrific recipes:
- Sweet Potato Fries - simple to prepare in the oven or air fryer
- Oven Roasted Vegetables - delicious seasonal medley
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash - a fall favorite
- Quick and Easy Oven Roasted Asparagus - an elegant but effortless dish
- Sauteed Broccolini with Garlic Butter - ready in 15 minutes
Brussels Sprouts: Healthy green vegetable with tender leaves that crisp up nicely in the air fryer.
Olive Oil: A mild flavored high heat oil that's great for air frying. Can swap with other neutral oil, like canola or avocado.
Lemon Juice: The bright acid of the lemon brings out all of the best brussel flavors.
Garlic Powder: Savory spice that makes the veggies taste even heartier.
Dried Thyme: An earthy spice for a warm, comforting flavor.
Salt and Pepper: Classic seasonings to elevate any dish.
Red Pepper Flakes: Optional for a spicy kick.
How to cook brussel sprouts in the air fryer?
Preheat the air fryer at 375°F (default is 3 minutes as per the manufacturer's instruction for my air fryer).
Place the cut in half brussels sprouts in large bowl. Drizzle oil, add 1 teaspoon lemon juice, garlic powder, dried thyme and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine well to coat evenly.
Transfer the tossed sprouts in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
Air fry the brussels sprouts for 10 minutes or until browned and crisp, pull out the basket to shake them half way through (after 5 minutes). If still not cooked through with crisp outer cook for additional 2 minutes.
Transfer the air fried brussels sprouts in a serving bowl, pour remaining lemon juice, add maple syrup and toss to coat. Sprinkle red pepper flakes and fresh thyme leaves. Serve hot!
- Select similar sized brussels sprouts for even cooking. It doesn't matter if they are small are large. However, larger ones will need slightly more time in the fryer.
- Wash the sprouts throughly to get dirt from between the leaves. Pat dry well with a clean towel before air frying.
- Place the brussels in a single layer in the air fryer. Overlapping or overcrowding the basket will cause the veggies to become soggy.
- The air frying temperature may range between 360F- 375 depending upon the air fryer brand you are using. Adjust the temperature accordingly. Mine was perfect at 375F(190).
- Give the basket a shake every 5 minutes. This will help them to cook evenly on all sides.
- Easily double or triple this air fryer brussel sprouts recipe! But fry in small batches so they do not overcrowd the basket.
Yes! Simply add 2-3 minutes extra to the cooking time. It is especially important to leave enough space between the frozen sprouts in the air fryer basket.
There are nearly endless options for adding extra flavor to your sprouts! Before cooking the brussel sprouts in the air fryer, try tossing them with any of these sauces or seasonings:
- Balsamic vinegar - bold and acidic for a delicious tangy flavor
- Sriracha - extra spicy and vibrant
- Honey - to make the sprouts sweet and super crispy
- Grated parmesan cheese - to give this healthy dish a bit of decadent cheesiness
- Feta cheese crumbles - the saltiness makes brussels even more savory
This classic green veggie is great to pair with nearly any and all main dishes!
Serve as a side dish with grilled chicken, fish, or shrimp for a satisfying and healthy meal. They're also fantastic to add some nutrients to heavier comfort foods like meatloaf and steak.
I also love to use air fryer brussels sprouts as a hearty star in other recipes. Try adding them to:
- Cooked pasta dishes or a refreshing pasta salad
- Grilled cheese or other pressed sandwiches
- Rice bowls (or any grain bowl!) with a variety of veggies, proteins, and your favorite toppings
- Sharing platters for parties or a fun appetizer
Storage, Freezing and Reheating
Cooked sprouts will keep well for up to 3 days. Cool completely, then transfer to a sealed container and store in the fridge.
I don't recommend freezing as the brussels may turn mushy when thawed. However, if you wish, you can freeze them in a ziplock bag or air tight container for up to 3 months, maximum.
Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating. To reheat, lay them on a lined baking sheet. Roast in the oven at 375F for 2-3 minutes.
If you made my air fryer Brussels sprouts recipe, please be sure to rate and review it below! You can also get all of my newest content delivered straight to your inbox by signing up for my email newsletter.
Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts Recipe
- 1 lb Brussels Sprouts (rinsed, pat dried, ends trimmed and halved.)
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil (or neutral oil of choice)
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice (divided)
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Dried Thyme
- ¼ teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Maple Syrup
- ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- Fresh Thyme Sprigs
- Preheat the air fryer at 375°F (default is 3 minutes as per the manufacturer's instruction for my air fryer).
- Place the cut in half brussels sprouts in large bowl. Drizzle oil, add 1 teaspoon lemon juice, garlic powder, dried thyme and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine well to coat evenly.
- Transfer the tossed sprouts in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Air fry the brussels sprouts for 10 minutes or until browned and crisp, pull out the basket to shake them half way through (after 5 minutes). If still not cooked through with crisp outer cook for additional 2 minutes.
- Transfer the air fried brussels sprouts in a serving bowl, pour remaining lemon juice, add maple syrup and toss to coat. Sprinkle red pepper flakes and fresh thyme leaves. Serve hot!