Saag Gosht is mouth-watering curry of lamb/mutton cooked with coarsely pureed spinach and spices. Saag gosht taste best when served with hot steaming phulkas or parathas or nan and steaming hot Jeera rice or pulao. If truth be told, this dish is a need of my house as my son only likes chicken and mutton in one form or other. I have tried to feed him all types of vegetables in every possible way but in vain. This one always works for me as the Iron, Folates, Vitamins, Calcium and Potassium of the Spinach goes along well with mutton, and he is happy...so am I 🙂
Saag Gosht is mouth-watering curry of lamb/mutton cooked with coarsely pureed spinach and spices. Saag gosht taste best when served with hot steaming phulkas or parathas or nan and steaming hot Jeera rice or pulao
- ½ kg mutton on bone (lean) (Mutton (Lean))
- 1 cup spinach (spinach coarsely pureed/paste)
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 3 tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 6-8 peppercorns
- 1.5 inch stick of cinnamon
- 5-6 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-4 green cardamom
- 1 ½ sp coriander powder
- ½ turmeric
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 dill leaves ( (soya bhaji) finely chopped)
- ¼ cup birista (golden fried onion)
- 1-2 green chilli (finely chopped)
- Salt as per taste
- water as needed (warm)
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2-3 whole dried red chilies broken into 2
How to make saag gosht recipe
- In a pressure cooker, heat 2 tbsp of oil, add onion and fry till translucent. Add whole spices(black pepper corn, cinnamon, cloves, green cardamom, bay leaf), sauté for a minute.
- Add mutton and ginger garlic paste, chopped green chilies, let it fry for 2-3 minutes
- Add chopped tomato and let it cook till all the water of the tomato dries.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala, crushed golden fried onions, salt and sauté for 2 – 3 min on high heat till oil starts seperating.
- Add 1 cup of warm water, pressure cook for 3 whistles or till done.
- Finally, add pureed spinach, dill leaves and lemon juice, stir once(do not overmix) and cook it uncovered for 3-4 minutes
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan, add cumin and let it crackle. Add broken red chilies, pour over the mutton.
- Dish out and serve hot with choice of nan, roti or rice.
To retain the actual green color of spinach (palak), its recommended we cook it uncovered after adding the spinach puree. Lemon juice(Vitamin C) should always be added to the spinach as it helps better absorption of Iron from the spinach.
Calories: 282kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 63mg | Potassium: 322mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 735IU | Vitamin C: 10.2mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 1.6mg
Tried this recipe?Tag @cubesnjuliennes on Instagram and hashtag it #cubesnjuliennes!
Quite allured by your hands at culinary art that donâ€™t stop with Gulab Ki Kheer! â€œBeyond oneâ€™s taste buds lies their eggsâ€ â€“ Attracted by your food porn displayed as Goan Fish Curry and Palak Gosht, our romantic senses were distracted by your tabs with creative lifestyle.
This is an exclusive space for your penmanship, where you can publish your unique culinary outputs in the form of food blogs; that too youâ€™re the one, whoâ€™s going to own this space! We would like to pass it on to others by featuring it on our platform!
Sulekha.US would be glad to present your food blog to the Indian communities living abroad. We would love to connect them through one of the most vital channels i.e. food. Featuring your interview would be a perk for our eager Indians, who are waiting for Desi recipes and baked goodies ranging from â€˜grandâ€™ to â€˜on the goâ€™. On the other hand, itâ€™ll be our pleasure to feature your â€˜gastronomic talksâ€™ (interview!) on our home page. Sharing your passion for food might rejuvenate the taste buds and senses of millions of Indians living abroad.
Thanks & regards
Hamida, Content Manager, Sulekha US
Wow, what a lovely blog!
Pictures are too good, I bump here through Lubna's F.B page and it's a pleasure meeting you.
I would be glad to be around you, connecting through Google+.
Have a nice day!