Yakhni Pulao Recipe Card
To make yakhni (Bouquet Garni /Potli):
- 1 ½ tablespoon rose petals
- 2 onions medium size, quartered/crushed
- ¾ tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds zeera
- 16-18 cloves garlic
- 2 inch ginger piece, sliced or crushed
- 2 star anise chakri phool/baadiyaan
- 8-10 cardamom
- 10– 12 cloves
- 2 flower of mace javitri
- 3 inch cinnamon sticks 3 sticks of 1 inch each
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 7 cups water
for Mutton yakhni pulao:
- 1 kilogram Mutton on bone (lamb or goat)
- 900 grams Rice good quality long grain basmati (4 cups)
- 6-8 green chilies slit (you may adjust it accordingly)
- 1 cup yogurt 240 grams, (curd) whisked well
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 3 onions large size, finely sliced
- ¼ cup birista (golden fried onion)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Few drops of kewda essence
- A pinch of saffron soaked in ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 150 grams ghee or oil
- Salt to taste
- 6.5 cups yakhni stock
To prepare yakhni pulao recipe:
- Firstly, clean and soak the long grain basmati rice for at least 30 minutes.
- Also, soak a pinch of saffron in 1/4 cup of milk.
to make yakhni (mutton stock):
- Then, take a clean muslin cloth, add cumin seeds, fennel seeds, and all the ingredients for potli (bouquet garni).
- Now, tie it well with the string to secure all the whole spices into it to form a potli .
- Then, put the potli in a pressure cooker along with the cleaned and washed mutton and 7 cups of water. Add some salt, put it on the heat and bring it to a boil.
- Once the it starts boiling, pressure cook until the mutton is just done. Do not over - cook it.
- Now, once the mutton is done, allow it to release the pressure to its own.
- Gently, separate the mutton pieces and the Yakhni stock (mutton stock). Also, squeeze the potli very well in to the stock to extract all the flavours of spices. Discard the potli.
How to make yakhni pulao
- To begin with, heat ghee in Handi or pan.
- Once the ghee is hot, add bay leaves and fry for few seconds. Add sliced onions and fry until they start picking up golden color.
- Add green chilies slit and fry for another few seconds.
- Then, add boiled mutton and gently sauté it on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt and whisked yoghurt and mix. Cook for a minute.
- Now, drain the water from the rice. Add rice and mix gently.
- Then add, the yakhni (mutton stock) counting to the exact 6 ½ cups. If the Yakhni is less in amount then add some water along with yakhni but it should be 6 ½ cups in total. For the reason that we are adding a cup of curd, it will also add the liquid to pulao, so we are adding 6& 1/2 cups of yakhni stock only.
- Lastly, add garam masala powder, kewra essence/water and mix, bring it to a boil.
To dum yakhni pulao:
- Allow it to cook on high heat until 90% water dries up.
- Now, pour the saffron soaked milk over the rice. Cover the pot with foil and put it on Dum for 15 minutes.
- The Lucknowi Mutton yakhani pulao is ready, garnish it with birista (golden fried onions) and serve with raita, yogurt or salad of your choice.