Aloo Matar - An easy curry of potatoes and peas cooked together with basic ingredients or spices. It vegan, it is gluten free! Here is how to make aloo matar recipe step by step on stove top and in Instant Pot pressure cooker
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
IP Cooking Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 2 cups Green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 5 Potatoes (medium sized, cut in cubes)
- 4 Tomatoes (medium sized, ground to paste)
- 1 Onion (medium sized, finely sliced or chopped)
- 2-3 Green Chilies or Serrano peppers chopped
- 3/4 tsp Ginger paste
- 3/4 tsp Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 3/4 tsp Garam MasalaPowder
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp Dill leaves (Suva Bhaji) (optional) chopped
- 3 tbsp Oil
- Water as needed
How to make Aloo Matar Recipe on Stovetop
To begin with, first, heat oil in pan or kadai or pressure cooker. Add cubed potatoes and fry on high for 3-4minutes.
Take the fried potatoes out on plate and set it aside.
In the same kadhai, add cumin seeds and allow to crackle until aromatic. Then, add sliced onions and fry until they just start picking up golden colour.
Add ginger paste and garlic paste and fry for another few seconds until raw smell goes off.
Then, add ground tomatoes and fry for 2-3 minutes.
Add, turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder and mix, cook for 2 minutes.
Then, add potatoes and peas and toss on high for a minute.
Add salt, water and mix, bring it to a boil. Cover and cook for 6-7 minutes to until both are cooked well.
Finally, add garam masala powder, chopped coriander leaves and dill leaves, mix and cook for another minute. Aloo matar is ready to serve.
How to make Instant Pot Aloo Matar Recipe
Press saute button of an IP and once the IP displays hot, add oil to heat. Then add cubes potatoes and fry for 2-3 minutes. take the potatoes out on plate and set it aside.
Add cumin seeds and fry for few seconds until aromatic.
Then, add sliced onions and saute until it just starts picking up golden colour. (do not burn).
Add chopped chillies, ginger paste and garlic paste and saute for another 30 seconds. If anything is stuck at the bottom, then add a tablespoon or two of water to deglaze it.
Add pureed tomatoes and saute for 30 seconds.
Then add turmeric powder, coriander powder and Kashmiri red chilli powder and mix, cook for 30 seconds.
Add peas and potatoes and mix.
Now, add 1 cup water along with salt and garam masala powder, mix.
Close the lid of the pot with pressure valve in sealing position and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
Once the IP beeps, do quick release, the open the pot and add chopped dill leaves and coriander leaves. Mix well, close the pot and let it rest for couple of minutes. Aloo Matar ready to serve.
- You can skip the step of frying the potatoes. however, it lends lovely flavour to the aloo matar when fried before
- If you see, i have used dill leaves in this recipe, you may skip if you wish too. But it gives lovely fresh flavour to the aloo matar. I would highly recommend to give it a try once.
- Modify the chillies as per your liking.
- Adjust the spice powders as per to suit to your taste.
- You can use canned tomatoes as well.
Calories: 230kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 7g | Sodium: 26mg | Potassium: 1078mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1060IU | Vitamin C: 52.4mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 7.1mg