Sheer Khurma is a rich traditional dessert of milk simmered with dates, sugar, dry fruits and nylon vermicelli made especially during Ramadan Eid as well as Eid-ul-Adha.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 15 mins
- 5 litres Full Fat Milk
- 1 and 1/2 cups Sugar (may vary according to the amount of sweetness you prefer)
- 250 g Fine Vermicelli
- 100 g Almonds soaked overnight, peeled and slivered
- 75 g Charoli nuts (chironji), soaked overnight and peeled
- 100 g Pistachios soaked overnight, peeled and slivered
- 75 g Cashew nuts soaked and sliced (I have not added here)
- 18-20 Dates deseeded and chopped or sliced
- 1 cup Ghee
- 2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 6 green cardamom
- Few strands of saffron
How to make sheer khurma
Spread the peeled chironji on a plate and allow it to dry for some time.
Ina pan, heat 3/4 cup of ghee, sauté slivered almonds, pistas, chirongi until it just picks up golden colour, but not burnt.
Immediately take it out on to a plate and set aside.
In a same pan, add dates and fry for few seconds until aromatic, ensure it does not burn. Take it oit and keep it aside.
Add fine vermicelli and roast until just golden and aromatic.
Carefully keep an eye, as fine vermicelli tends to burn fast. Take it out and set aside.
Pour milk in a large heavy bottom pot and place in on the stove top.
Bring the milk to a boil and then simmer on low heat for 10 minutes
Then add cardamom powder and simmer for another 5 minutes until aromatic.
Add saffron strands mix and simmer for 10 minutes.
Now, add fried dry fruits, dates, vermicelli, sugar and mix.
Simmer for another 10 minutes atleast. I usually prefer a little longer simmer time (20 minutes) after adding all the ingredients until it turns creamish in colour for the best sheer khurma taste.
Switch off the heat and prepare for tadka. Heat remaining ghee in a pan and add green cardamom pods, fry for few seconds.
Finally, pour the cardamom tempering over the sheer korma and it is ready to serve
- The above measure and recipe of sheer korma is for 5 litres of milk. If you want to make it for 1 litre of milk then use, 4-5 dates, 20 grams of almonds (20 pieces atleast), 20 grams of pistachios (25-30 peices) and 2 tablespoons of charoli nuts.
- 1 litre of milk will make a use of approx 50-60 grams of fine nylon vermicelli and 50 grams of ghee. Sugar can be added as per you taste. Using these measures, go ahead with making of Hyderabadi sheer khurma with 1 litre milk. Preparation time and cooking time will also differ here, it will take much less time for 1 litre of milk.
Calories: 235kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 73mg | Potassium: 278mg | Fiber: 82g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 240IU | Vitamin C: 0.3mg | Calcium: 179mg | Iron: 0.9mg