Easy Homemade Salsa Recipe
If you're in need of an Easy Salsa recipe made with fresh tomatoes in just 5 minutes, you are in luck! Once you learn how simple it is to make everyone's favorite Mexican condiment, you'll never go back to buying the jarred stuff again.
- ¼ White Onion roughly diced
- 2 Garlic
- 1¼ pound Tomatoes around 6-7 cut in large chunks
- 1 large Jalapeño or 2 small, seeds removed
- ⅓ cup Cilantro
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1-2 tablespoons Lime Juice
In the bowl of food processor or a hand blender chopper add onion, garlic, and pulse until nicley chopped
Add tomatoes, jalapeño, cilantro, ground cumin, sugar, salt and lime. Pulse for 6-8 times or until the consistency reaches nice thin with a little chunk but not purée.
Transfer the salsa to a bowl or a jar and refrigerate for couple of hours to develop the flavors. Serve the salsa dip with tortilla chips or spoon over tacos, burritos, nachos or Mexican meal bowls.
- For better texture, remove and discard the tomato seeds before proceeding with recipe.
- Roughly chop the ingredients - tomato, jalapeño, onion - before adding to food processor. This ensures proper pulsing of ingredients with no large chunks of pepper, onion or tomatoes.
- Process the garlic and onion first, then add the rest of the ingredients and pulse.
- Blend the salsa until desired consistency; I recommend leaving some chunky texture rather than over-blending to a smooth purée.
- For spicier salsa, increase the amount of jalapeño. You can also use spicier peppers instead of jalapeños - like serranos - for that extra heat kick.
- If you end up using a slicer tomato rather than a meaty variety, you may end up with a thinner salsa. If it ends up being too watery in consistency, let the salsa sit for 30 minutes to blend flavors, then strain until your desired consistency. Hot Tip: Do not discard the excess liquid; I love to use it in curries or rice preparations for an added boost of flavor.
- This homemade fresh salsa tastes best after it has had at least an hour to rest. It will taste even better the next day!
Calories: 36kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 300mg | Potassium: 377mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1314IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 1mg