Chicken Barley Soup Recipe
This hearty, lemon Chicken and Barley Soup recipe is a healthy one-pot soup made with a medley of fresh ingredients and vegetables such as pearl barley, garlic, leeks, carrots, celery, and more
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 6 Garlic finely chopped/minced
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 medium Leeks sliced
- 3 Carrots diced
- 2 Celery Sticks chopped
- 1 cup Pearl Barley
- Salt n Pepper
- 8-9 cups Vegetable Stock or Low Sodium Chicken Broth or Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 4 Boneless Chicken Breasts or Thighs cooked and shredded
- ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes optional
- 1 Lemon Zest
- 3-4 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dill chopped
Heat butter in heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, add garlic and cook for 1 minute over medium heat.
Add olive oil followed by sliced leeks, diced carrots and chopped celery sticks, stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add pearl barley, salt and pepper, and stir.
Then, add vegetable stock (or chicken broth) and increase the heat to high. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat to low, cover and simmer the soup for 35 minutes, or until the barley is tender.
Stir in the cooked and shredded chicken along with red pepper flakes (for a bit of spicy kick), lemon zest and fresh lemon juice, simmer for another 8 minutes.
Finally, stir in the chopped parsley and dill. Do the taste test and season with more salt, pepper ot lemon juice only if needed.
Pour the ladleful soup in serving bowls, garnish with some more fresh parsley and serve hot!
Optional and Swaps:
- Quinoa, rice, or egg noodles instead of barley
- You can add extra vegetables to this soup like green beans, peas, kale, corn, spinach, squash, and potatoes.
- Leave the chicken out and use a vegetable broth for a vegetarian version.
- Spritz fresh lemon juice atop the soup just before serving for extra bright flavors.
Calories: 397kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 106mg | Sodium: 1463mg | Potassium: 838mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 6581IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 2mg