Kale Apple Salad Recipe
Tart green apples, creamy garbanzos, crunchy walnuts and nutty ribbons of raw kale are tossed in a sweet maple and apple cider vinaigrette for a tasty entrée salad you won't soon forget.
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup or honey
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes optional
- ¼ teaspoon Salt Pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 8 oz Tuscan Kale or Curly Kale thick stalks removed and leaves chopped
- 1 cup Chickpeas boiled or canned
- 1 Granny Smith Apple or Fuji Apple/Honeycrisp chopped into bite-sized pieces
- ⅓ cup Tomato chopped
- ¼ cup Walnut coarsely chopped
Begin with making the salad dressing. In jar or a bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, maple syrup, garlic, pepper flakes, salt and freshly ground pepper.
Now, close the jar lid and whisk well to form an emulsion. Let the prepared sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Clean, wash and dry the kale. Cut off the thick stem and chop the kale into thin strips.
In a large bowl, add chopped kale, chickpeas, chopped apple, tomato, and walnuts.
Shake and pour the prepared dressing over the salad and toss well until coated evenly.
Let the salad sit in the dressing for 15 minutes to develop the better flavor and then serve.
While I love this recipe as written, feel free to make some swaps based on what you have on hand.
- Apples - Fuji apple, pink lady or honeycrisp apple will all work well instead of granny smith
- Nuts - Almonds, pecans, hazelnuts, or pine nuts can stand in for walnuts
- Beans - White beans, black beans or red kidney beans can be used instead of chickpeas
- Sweetener - While I love the flavor of maple syrup, you can easily substitute agave nectar, honey or date syrup instead.
Calories: 279kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 174mg | Potassium: 535mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 5842IU | Vitamin C: 76mg | Calcium: 124mg | Iron: 2mg