Chicken Biryani Recipe
A luxurious delight known worldwide and loved by all. Biryani is beautiful melange of chicken layered with long grain basmati rice and then slow cooked. Serve this delight with raita of your choice.
To marinate the chicken
- 750 g Chicken On Bone cut into medium pieces
- ¾ cup Yogurt (Curd) whisked well
- ¾ tablespoon Garlic Paste
- ¾ tablespoon Ginger Paste
- 2 teaspoons Red Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 teaspoons Coriander Powder
- 3 - 4 Green Chilies slit or chopped
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala powder
- Salt to Taste
- 3 tablespoons Brown Onions
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 3 Cups Long Grain Rice (approx 650- 700 gms) preferably aged basmati rice
- 1½-2 tablespoons Salt (only for stove top method) water should taste extra salty
- Water as needed
To cook marinated chicken
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 1 Onion large sized, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon Caraway Seeds or Cumin Seeds Shajeera
- 1½ inch Cinnamon Stick
- 5 Green Cardamom
- 8-10 Black Peppercorns
- 6-8 Cloves
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Star Anise
- ⅓ cup Brown Onions or Caramalised Onions
- ½ cup Mint Leaves
- ½ cup Coriander Leaves
- A pinch of Saffron soaked in 2 tbsp of warm Milk
- 2 tablespoons Ghee
Preparation and marination
Clean and wash the chicken well, drain the water completely.
Add chicken and all the ingredients mentioned under marination and mix well.
Cover and allow it to rest for 30 minutes under refrigeration.
Clean, wash and soak rice for 30 minutes.
In a pot, add enough water and salt. Bring the water to a boil and add strained rice.
Cook the rice until 70 percent done. Strain all the water from the cooked rice. Set it aside
In a heavy bottom pot, heat oil and ghee together.
Add sliced onion and fry until they just start to pick the golden colour.
Then, add the marinated chicken along with all the whole spices.
Mix and cook on high for 1-2 minutes.
Then, cover and cook the chicken for 5-6 minutes on low.
Layering the chicken and rice
Sprinkle fried onions, chopped mint leaves and coriander leaves over the cooked chicken.
Layer the cooked rice on the top of the chicken evenly.
Pour soaked saffron and melted ghee over the rice.
Cover the pot with tight fitting lid.
Slow cook (dum) the biryani for 15 minutes. Switch off the heat.
Allow it to rest for 5-7 minutes. Dish out and serve hot with raita of your choice.
- Adjust the spiciness of the biryani as per your liking.
- You can use mix chicken cut or chicken thighs and chicken drumsticks.
- For stove top method, soak the rice for 30 minutes and for instant pot method soak it for 15 -20 minutes.
- For stove top method, use heavy bottom pan to make the biryani.
- For Instant Pot method, please refer to step by step pictures above in the post.
- If you do not have the stored fried onions, then finely slice 2 large onions and fry it in oil until golden.
Calories: 667kcal | Carbohydrates: 82g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 140mg | Potassium: 372mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 365IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 102mg | Iron: 2.1mg