Gajar Ka Halwa
Gajar Ka Halwa or Carrot Halwa is an utterly delicious traditional Indian sweet recipe made from grated red carrots that is slow cooked with ghee, milk, cardamom, sugar, and khoya, garnished with dry fruits.
- 1 kg Carrot (red or orange) grated
- 120 grams Ghee
- 350 ml Full Fat Milk
- 150 gram Khoya/Mawa
- ¼ cup Raisins
- ¼ cup Cashew Nuts
- A very generous big pinch of saffron soaked in 1 tablespoon of milk optional
- 2 teaspoons Cardamom Powder
- 1 cup Sugar (you may increase/decrease as preferred)
- Slivered pistachios or almond or mixed dry fruits for garnish
How To Make Carrot Halwa
Clean, wash, peel and grate the red carrots in a bowl.
In a heavy bottom pan, heat ghee.
Add grated carrot, increase the heat and sauté well on high for 6-7 minutes stirring well.
Let it cook in ghee on a medium heat for another 5 minutes.
Add milk, mix and simmer on low until milk reduces and is absorbed well.
Add khowa/mawa, raisins and cashews, mix until khowa combines well.
Add saffron milk, cardamom powder, sugar and mix well till it dissolves completely.
Increase the heat and sauté for another 5 minutes stirring continuously.
Dish out, garnish and serve.
- Always use thick bottom pan or kadhai (wok) to make carrot halwa.
- Keep stirring the halwa at intervals to avoid burning.
- Use full fat milk to make the halwa.
- To make this recipe, you can also use orange carrots instead of red delhi carrots.
Calories: 290kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 118mg | Potassium: 517mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 14085IU | Vitamin C: 6.2mg | Calcium: 178mg | Iron: 0.6mg