Stuffed Kala Jamun or Kala Jam is a delectable royal sweet treat of dryfruit stuffed Chenna/paneer and khoya balls deep fried in ghee/oil and then dipped into saffron cardamom flavoured sugar syrup. Some people also call it as a suji ke gulab jamun or black gulab jamun and even kala rasgulla. Here is how to make best kala jamun recipe at home
To make kala jamun dough:
- 200 g Khowa (Mawa)
- 4 tbsp Maida (all-purpose flour)
- ¼ cup Paneer
- 1-2 tbsp Milk
- A pinch of Soda Bi-carb
- ½ tbsp Semolina (sooji/suji)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Ghee for frying
for kala jamun syrup:
- 2 cups Sugar
- 2 cups Water
- 1 Cardamom powder
- Few saffron strands
for kala jam stuffing:
- 1 tbsp Almonds and Pistachios finely chopped
- A small pinch of cardamom powder
- ½ tsp Saffron Water I soaked a small pinch of saffron in ½ teaspoon water)
To prepare syrup for kala jamun recipe:
First, prepare syrup by boiling sugar, water, cardamom powder. Once it starts boiling, remove scum if any. Then, Add saffron and boil it for another 12-15 minutes on medium flame.
how to make kala jamun:
To begin with, in a bowl, add khoya and knead well for couple of minutes with the heels of your hand to soften it and make it grain free.
Then, add chenna/ grated paneer, sugar, suji and maida. After that, mix everything well and again, start kneading the mixture with the heels of your hand for good 3-4 minutes. The mixture should be completely grain free and lump free, it should be smooth. If dough is dry add few tbsp. of milk. I added only 1 tablespoon of milk. Do not add to much at a time. (If the khowa is very soft and gives you soft dough, you may not require to add milk).
Once the dough is ready, keep it aside for 15 minutes
To stuff the kala jamun:
After 15 minutes, take a tablespoon of dough into a small bowl and add almonds, pistachios and saffron water and cardamom powder into it, mix very well. I avoided adding any artificial colour, but if you wish to add , you may add a very small pinch of it
Once the stuffing is ready, then divide the stuffing into small sized balls. Also, divide the kala jamun dough mixture equal to number of dough balls. For this measure of ingredients, I made 12 big jamuns. So, I divided both, the stuffing as well as the kala jamun dough equally into 12 balls.
Now, Take one dough ball and press it between your palms, stuff it with made stuffing
Carefully, seal the stuffing with
Then, Shape it into smooth balls. Do not apply too much pressure and avoid cracks on jamuns.
Repeat the same for all the jamoon balls.
To fry kala jamun balls:
So, first, heat enough ghee in a pan or kadhai.
When the oil/ghee is hot, reduce the flame to medium low. Remember, Oil/ghee should be just hot but not smoky. If the oil is too hot the jamuns will burn and remain uncooked within. Gently slide the jamuns in the oil.
Firstly, jamuns will sink at bottom, after few seconds it will float on the top and puff up.
Then, gently, keep stirring jamuns with ladle so that they get evenly fried. Fry them till they are dark brown. Once done carefully take them out on absorbent paper and drop them in hot sugar syrup. Sugar syrup should be hot, not extremely hot. Repeat the same for all the jamuns but do not add too many jamuns for frying at a time.
Once they are ready in sugar syrup, keep kala jam aside. Allow the kala jamuns to soak the sugar syrup well, at-least for 2 hour or so.
Serve them warm garnished with silver paper and slivered pistachios and almonds. Enjoy.
- Always use best quality khoya available at dairy. If you dont have the dairy available near by, then you can also make fresh khoya at home, either with full cream milk or even milk powder. To make khoya from milk powder, find the link here. To make khoya using fresh milk, we need to boil the milk on very low flame for hours until we get a solid mass of an evaporated milk.
- Another key point is, to make best kala jamun recipe, we need to knead the khoya mixture very well. The more kneading with the heels of hand, the better will be the texture of the kala jamun dough. Hence the smooth kala jamuns balls. Also, either use grated paneer or knead the paneer well with the heels of the hands to make it smoother.
- Remember, to fry the jamoons, Oil or ghee to make kala gulab jamun should not be very hot or smoky. It should be medium hot.
- Most noteworthy, please use standard measure spoons and cup for the correct recipe measure for kala jamun recipe.
- Keep the kala jamun soaked in a sugar syrup for 2-3 hours before serving.
- If you want to make it as dry kala jamun, then once the jamuns are soaked well in syrup, you can take them out of the syrup and store it in a container or serve.They keep good easily upto a week under refrigeration.
Calories: 185kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 52mg | Potassium: 177mg | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 125IU | Vitamin C: 1.2mg | Calcium: 142mg | Iron: 0.1mg