Hyderabadi Methi Chicken Malai (Methi Murgh) is a delicately spiced, creamy and delicious curry of chicken cooked with fresh fenugreek or methi leaves. Stunningly tasty and super quick, a perfect winter dinner to keep you warm!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
To Prepare Methi Chicken
- 1 kg Chicken cut in medium sized pieces
- 2 Cups Fenugreek Leaves coarsely chopped
- 175 g Yogurt whisked
- 3 Tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 Onions finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Garlic Paste
- 3/4 tbsp Ginger Paste
- 3-4 Green Chillies crushed or chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/3 cup Cream
- 5 tbsp Oil
- Salt as per taste
- Water as required
Whole Spices To Cook Methi Chicken
- 4 green cardamom
- 8-10 black pepper corns
- 4-5 cloves
How To Make Methi Chicken Malai
Firstly, heat oil in a pan.
While the oil gets heated, add cumin seeds and allow it to crackle. Now, once the aroma of fried cumin releases, then add chopped or crushed green chili and all the whole spices and cook for few seconds
Then, add chopped onions and saute on high heat for a minute. Fry until they just pick the golden colour. At the same time, be sure to not to over brown the onions.
Add chicken, tomatoes, ginger garlic paste, saute them well on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
Once the chickens sautéed well, reduce the heat and add whisked yoghurt. Immediately stir well till the yoghurt combines well.
Then, add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, salt and water. Cover and simmer for 6-7 minutes or until the chicken is tender
Add fenugreek leaves (methi) and lemon juice and cook on high for another minute or 2.
Finally, add cream, garam masala powder and sugar. Mix everything together and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Delicately spiced delicious Methi Chicken is ready to serve.
- To avoid splitting of yogurt, you can add a teaspoon of cornflour and whisk well before adding it to recipe.
- If you want thin gravy, then more warm water can be added. You can also use boneless chicken to make this recipe.
- To make methi chicken dry, do not add water to the recipe and allow the chicken to cook in its own juice until it reaches its required consistency.
- Adjust the spiciness of the gravy as per your liking
Calories: 331kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 134mg | Potassium: 379mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 725IU | Vitamin C: 14.5mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 1.5mg