Matar Kachori (Peas Kachori) is a delicious vegan north Indian snack of crispy and flaky deep fried pastry stuffed with tangy, spicy mashed green peas filling.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Resting time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 20 nos
For kachori dough
- 450 grams (4 Cups) All-purpose flour
- 8 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Ajwain (carom seeds)
- Salt to taste
- Water to knead the dough I have used little more than ½ cup
For matar kachori stuffing
- 2 and 1/2 cups Green peas (fresh or frozen), blended to coarse paste
- 2-3 Green chilies finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger grated
- ½ tsp Dry mango powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Kasuri Methi
- ½ tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Nigella Seeds
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds crushed
- ½ cup Coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp Oil
- Salt To taste
- Oil for frying
How to make matar kachori recipe
In a blender or a processor, add peas and blend it to a coarse paste.
In a pan or kadhai, heat ghee. Add cumin, fennel seeds and kalonji, fry for few seconds, do not burn.
Add chopped chilies and ginger fry for another few seconds.
Now add coarsely chopped/crushed green peas and sauté for a minute or two
Cover and cook for 5 minutes on low. Stir in between to avoid burning.
Add chili powder, dhaniya powder, garam masala powder, amchoor and mix. Cook for another minute. Make sure that mixture dry completely.
Finally, add kasuri methi, mix. Allow it to cool completely.
Add coriander leaves and mix.
To make kachori dough
In a bowl, add flour, Ajwain, salt and mix.
Add oil and mix it with fingers to make crumbly mixture.
Now, add water and knead it to a soft dough. Dough need not be smooth.
Cover with tea towel and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
Divide the dough into 19-20 equal parts (small lemon sized balls).
To stuff and fry the kachoris
Now, take one ball and roll it into 3-4 inch disc making sure that edges and slightly thinner than the centre.
Then, place spoonful or two of filling in the centre.
Slightly, wet the edges with water using finger and bring the edges together carefully, pinch them to seal the mixture within.
Do not over stuff the filling. I placed standard measure 1 tablespoon of filling within.
Gently roll the kachoris to 2-3 inches circle. Repeat the same for all the kachoris.
Heat enough oil in heavy bottom pan or kadhai. Once the oil is medium hot, carefully, slide-in the kachoris few at a time and fry on medium high heat for a minute
Then, reduce the flame to low and fry until they brown and crisp
Take them out on absorbant paper. Fry all the kachoris in similar manner.
Delectable Matar Kachori is ready. Serve them with hari chutney or/and meethi chutney
- Spoon and cup measures used in this recipe is of American standard.
- An important factor to keep mind while making the dough is, the proportion of flour to fat (oil or ghee) should be followed as mentioned in the recipe. This will always give flaky and crispy kachoris each time.
- Never add too much water while kneading the dough. Add little water at a time and proceed.
- It is extremely important to keep the kachori dough covered with damp kitchen towel all the time, in order to avoid drying.
- Never fry kachoris in a very hot oil as it will burn the kachoris and will remain uncooked within.
- Always fry the kachoris in medium high heat for a minute, then reduce the flame to low and fry until golden and crisp.
Calories: 135kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 15mg | Potassium: 28mg | Vitamin A: 25IU | Vitamin C: 0.7mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 1.1mg