Carrot Halwa (Gajar Ka Halwa)
Gajar Ka Halwa (Carrot Halwa) is an utterly delicious traditional Indian sweet recipe made from grated red carrots that is slow cooked with ghee, milk, cardamom, sugar, and khoya, garnished with dry fruits.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time50 mins
To Prepare Carrot Halwa
- 1 kg Carrot (red or orange) grated
- 120 grams Ghee
- 350 ml Full fat milk
- 150 gram Khoya/Mawa
- 1/4 cup Raisins
- ¼ cup Cashew nuts
- A very generous big pinch of saffron soaked in 1 tablespoon of milk optional
- 2 teaspoon Cardamom powder
- 1 cup Sugar (you may increase/decrease as preferred)
- Slivered pistachios or almond or mixed dry fruits for garnish
How To Make Carrot Halwa Recipe
Clean, wash, peel and grate the red carrots in a bowl.
In a heavy bottom pan, heat ghee.
Add grated carrot, increase the heat and sauté well on high for 6-7 minutes stirring well.
Reduce the heat and let it cook in ghee for another 5 minutes.
Add milk, mix and simmer on low until milk reduces and is absorbed well.
Add khowa/mawa, raisins and cashews, mix until khowa combines well.
Add saffron milk, cardamom powder, sugar and mix well till it dissolves completely.
Increase the heat and sauté for another 5 minutes stirring continuously.
- Always use thick bottom pan or kadhai (wok) to make carrot halwa.
- Keep stirring the halwa at intervals to avoid burning.
- Use full fat milk to make gajar ka halwa.
- To make this recipe, you can also use orange carrots instead of red delhi carrots.
Calories: 290kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 118mg | Potassium: 517mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 14085IU | Vitamin C: 6.2mg | Calcium: 178mg | Iron: 0.6mg