Tastiest Punjabi Dal Makhani or Dal Makhni - a luscious creamy preparation of mix of whole black lentils or urad dal and rajma or kidney beans. An ultimate dal recipe that tastes exactly like dhabas or restaurants.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Soaking Time9 hrs
to prepare dal makhani recipe we need:
- 1 cup Whole black lentil (sabut urad dal)
- ¼ cup Rajma (red kidney beans)
- 1 tsp Ginger finely chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic finely chopped
- ½ cup Onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Garlic paste
- 2 Tomatoes medium sized, chopped
- 1.5 tbsp Tomato puree
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- ½ cup Cream
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tsp Kasuri Methi
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Ghee
to garnish dal makhni:
- Chopped Coriander leaves
To boil dal and rajma
Mix sabut urad dal and rajma together, clean, wash and soak it for at least 8-9 hours.
In a pressure cooker, add the strained urad dal and rajma along with the chopped ginger, chopped garlic and bay leaf.
Add 4 cups of water and boil the dal and rajma mixture with chopped ginger-garlic, bay leaf until done well.
Once the dal is cooked, allow the pressure to release on its own.
Mash the dal with back of the ladle to break them partially.
how to make dal makhani recipe on stove top
To cook dal makhani, first, heat butter and ghee together in a pan.
While the ghee and butter heats, add cumin seeds and allow it to crackle.
Add chopped onion and fry until soft and pink.
Add tomatoes and fry on high until they are soft, this will take 3-4 minutes
Add ginger garlic paste and sauté on high heat for another minute.
Add tomato puree, red chili powder and mix well.
After the masals is cooked well, add the boiled dal mixture, cream, salt, garam masala and mix well.
Add warm water as required and mix, bring it to a boil.
Allow it to simmer for atleast 30 minutes on avery low flame, stir occasionally to avoid burning.
If the water dries up in between while the dal makhni is simmering, then add little warm water, stir and allow it to simmer again.
Finally, add crushed kasuri methi, mix and simmer for another minute. Makhni Dal is ready to serve.
Garnish with cream and coriander leaves. Serve hot with nan, phulka, kulcha, paratha or pulao/rice.
Instant pot dal makhani recipe
Clean, wash and soak of black lentils and kidney beans in enough water overnight.
Place the inner pot and switch on the IP. Press Sauté button and allow it to heat. Once the IP displays Hot, add butter and ghee together and heat
Add cumin seeds and allow it to crackle.
Add chopped onions and sauté until soft and pink.
Add 2 chopped tomatoes and sauté for 1 minute.
Add 1 tsp ginger paste and 1 tsp garlic paste and mix. Sauté for 1 minute or until raw smell goes off.
Add red chilli powder and tomato puree and mix. Sauté for another 1 minute.
Drain the water and add soaked rajma dal mixture, chopped ginger, chopped garlic, salt to taste and bay leaf, mix.
Add 3 cups of water and mix.
Close the pot with lid, with vent in sealing position, cancel the Sauté mode and press Manual/Pressure cooker mode. Set the timer to 30 minutes on high pressure.
After the IP beeps, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes and then carefully quick release.
Open the pot and mash the cooked dal with back of the ladle or potato masher to break some of them partially.
Add cream and garam masala powder and mix. Switch on the Sauté mode and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Ensure the stirring of the dal in between to avoid anything getting stuck as the bottom. Dal will thicken gradually.
Add kasuri methi and simmer for another minute or 2.
Delicious creamy dal makhani is ready to serve, garnish with cream, dish out and serve.
Tips to make best dal makhani at home:
- Always soak black dal and rajma for good 8 hours at least. I usually soak it for 10 hours.
- Do not forget to add canned tomato puree as it gives nice intense yet balanced flavor to the Dal. Yes, thats the secret to make any restaurant style dish at home.
- The more slow cooked dal, the better is the texture of Punjabi dal makhani. Simmer it for atleast 45 minutes even if you are making it in Indian pressure cooker, this will definitely give authentic creamy texture to the dal.
- Dal makhni recipe can be made in slow cooker or crock pot also. Slow cooker Dal makhani will be creamy thick and nice
- Give charcoal smoke to the dal if you wish to make smoky dhaba style dal makhani at home.
Calories: 325kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 182mg | Potassium: 83mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 315IU | Vitamin C: 1.2mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 2.5mg