Upma Recipe or Suji ka Upma – is a popular south Indian breakfast recipe made with rava. An easy rava upma recipe ready in flat 15 minutes. It is indeed an ideal tiffin recipe for kid’s lunch box as it is a healthy choice and so delicious too. Here is how to make best upma recipe step by step at home.
to prepare rava upma:
- 1 cup, rava (semolina/sooji)
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, slit or chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 3 tablespoons, carrot, finely chopped (optional)
- 3 tablspeoons, green peas, (optional)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 12-14 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 8-10 cashewnuts
- 1 teaspoon chana dal
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons ghee/oil
- 3 cups of water
- lemon juice as needed
- coriander leaves for garnish
how to make upma recipe:
- In a kadhai or pan, heat 1/2 tablespoon ghee or oil.
- Add 1 cup of semolina or rava and roast is for 2 minutes on medium taking care that it doesnt burn, once roasted well, it will release nice roasted earthy aroma. Transfer it on a plate.
- In a same kadhai, heat remaining ghee.
- Add mustard seeds and allow it to crackle.
- Now, add chana dal and urad dal and fry for 30 seconds until just golden, do not burn
- Add cashew nuts and fry for another 30 seconds, until just golden.
- Add curry leaves and chillies, fry for another 30 seconds.
- Then, add onions, grated ginger, salt and mix. Fry until soft and pink.
- Next, add peas and carrot and fry on high for aminute.
- Add 3 cups of water and mix. Bring to a boil and add sugar, lemon juice, mix
- Now, carefully and gradually add raosted sooji/rava stirring continuosly to avoid any lumps. Mix well
- Next, allow it to cook for a minute such that rava absorbs all the water.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes on low heat. This helps to steam the upma well.
- Add coriander leaves and mix. Here, you may add some more lemon juice if you wish to. Delicious soft suji upma is ready to serve.
I have added 3 cups of water for 1 cup of suji(rava)here. This ratio gives soft melt in mouth upma. However, if you wish to make upma little less soft, then go ahead with ratio of 1 cup sooji to 2.5 cups of water.
Keywords: Upma Recipe, Upma, Rava Upma, Suji ka Upma