Upma Recipe or Suji ka Upma – is a popular south Indian breakfast recipe made with rava. An easy rava upma recipe that will be ready in flat 15 minutes. It is indeed an ideal tiffin recipe for kid’s lunch box as it is a healthy choice and so delicious. Here is how to make best upma recipe step by step at home.
💓 We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories !
Have you tried this “Rava Upma Recipe“? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.
South Indian Rava Upma Recipe Card
To prepare rava upma:
- 1 cup Semolina (rava /sooji)
- 1 Onion medium size, finely chopped
- 2 Green chilies slit or chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger grated
- 3 tablespoons Green peas (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 12-14 Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Urad dal (split husked black lentil)
- 8-10 Cashew nuts
- 1 teaspoon Split chickpeas chana dal
- 3/4 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Ghee or Oil
- 3 cups Water
- Lemon juice as needed
- Coriander leaves for garnish
How to make upma recipe:
- In a kadhai or pan, heat 1/2 tablespoon ghee or oil.
- Add 1 cup of semolina or rava and roast is for 2 minutes on medium flame taking care that it doesnt burn.
- Once roasted well, it will release nice roasted earthy aroma.
- Transfer it on a plate and set aside
- In a same kadhai, heat remaining ghee or oil.
- Add mustard seeds and allow it to crackle.
- Now, add chana dal and urad dal and fry for 30 seconds until just golden, do not burn.
- Add cashew nuts and fry for another 30 seconds, until just golden.
- Add curry leaves and chillies, fry for another 30 seconds.
- Then, add onions, grated ginger, salt and mix. Fry until soft and pink.
- Next, add peas and carrot and fry on high for a minute.
- Add 3 cups of water and mix. Bring to a boil and add sugar, lemon juice, mix.
- Carefully and gradually add raosted sooji/rava stirring continuously to avoid any lumps. Mix well.
- Next, allow it to cook for a minute such that rava absorbs all the water.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes on low heat. This helps to steam the upma well.
- Add coriander leaves and mix. Here, you may add some more lemon juice if you wish to. Delicious soft upma is ready to serve.