Sarson Ka Saag – Indeed a magical winter dish! A traditional Punjabi Recipe of Mustard leaves or greens cooked in combination with other leafy greens. Boiled, tossed and then tempered with garlic and chilies, sharing this delicious sarso ka saag recipe that will bowl you over!
- 3 medium bunches, Sarson (mustard greens)
- 1 medium bunch, spinach (palak)
- 1 medium bunch, Bathwa (goose foot greens)
- 2-3 green chilies, roughly chopped
- 1 medium, onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup, radish (mooli), grated
- 1 large, tomato, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves, garlic, chopped
- 1 inch, ginger, grated
- ½ teaspoon, turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon, cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon, chili powder
- 2-3 dried red chilies, whole
- 4 tablespoons, makki atta
- Pinch of Heeng
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons, ghee
- 1 tablespoon, butter
For sarso ka saag tadka
- 5-6 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1-2 red chilies, broken into 2
how to make sarson ka saag recipe
- In a heavy bottom pan, put all the greens together along with roughly chopped green chilies.
- Add 1/2 cup water, cover and cook until the leaves are done well
Note: The water released from the greens will cook the greens well. It took me good 20 minutes to cook the greens in the pot
- Once greens are done, cool them a bit and process them into processor or blender to puree it coarsely
- Add makki ka atta and mix well
- In a heavy bottom Handi or kadhai, heat together butter and ghee. Add cumin seeds and allow it to crackle. Now, add whole red chilies and fry for another few seconds
- Add garlic and ginger, green chillies, fry until they are aromatic. Then add heeng and mix. Then, add onion and fry until just pink.
- Now, add grated mooli and cook for another minute.
- Add tomato and sauté on high until they are soft.
- Now, add boiled saag puree and combine well.
- Then, add red chili powder and turmeric powder and mix.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes on low, stirring occasionally.
- For tadka, heat ghee in a pan, add garlic and fry, add red chilies and fry for few seconds. Pour the tadka over the saag.
- Dish out and top with some butter or ghee and serve Sarson ka Saag with Makki ki Roti.
Keywords: Punjabi Sarson ka Saag, Sarso Ka Saag, Sarson da saag