Sabudana khichdi – is a popular Maharashtrian dish made using tapioca pearls (sago pearls). Sabudana khichadi is a commonly made breakfast recipe that is super simple, quick, gluten free, vegan and extremely delicious
to prepare sabudana khichadi
- 1 cup, sabudana (sago pearls)
- 2-3 green chilies, slit or chopped, you may increase or decrease it as per your liking
- 1/2 cup, roasted peanuts, peeled and coarsely powdered
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons, raw peanuts (optional)
- 6-8 curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons, corinader leaves, finely chopped
- Salt to taste (regular salt or sendha namak)
- 2 tablespoons of peanut oil or ghee or any refined oil
- 1 & 1/4 cup of water for soaking Sabudana
how to make sabudana khichdi recipe
- To begin with, first, wash the sago pearls for 3-4 times until water runs clear.
- Then, soak the sabudana pearls in 1 & 1/4 cup of water overnight.
- Now, once the sabudana is soaked well, you will see hardly any water left behind.
- Then, add crushed peanut into the sabudana
- Gently mix them well and set it aside
- Now, heat oil in a pan or kadhai
- Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and fry for few seconds.
- Add diced potatoes and saute on high heat for a minute
- Then cover and cook for 3-4 minutes until they are 90 percent done.
- Now, add raw peanut, curry leaves, and green chillie and mix.
- Add soaked sabudana, salt and gently mix
- Cook for 4-5 minutes only until the pearls are just translucent. Do stir couple of times but gentlly. Also, do not overook them as they will start stcking to each othermaking a sticky lump.
- Finally add, lemon juice and coriander leaves and mix. It is ready to serve
Always wash sabudana under running water or 3-4 times to get rid of most of the starch. Soak the sabudana in right amount of water ratio to pearls. Never cook sabudana beyond 4 minutes for best results. These are key point to make non sticky sabudana khichdi
You can add boiled aloo instead of raws ones, that will decrease the cooking time. But, the raw ones works and tastes best when cooked in the recipe.
Keywords: Sabudana Khichdi, Maharashtrian Sabudana Khichdi, Non sticky sabudana khichdi