It’s been a while now when I thought of sharing the tremendous recipe of the very renowned Paneer Jalfrezi. There are few similar recipes with variety of Vegetables and Chicken and Sea Food etc. Paneer Jalfrezi has it’s own beautiful mouth tendering soft texture and amazing taste. Well, also I should be sharing this piece of knowledge that Jalfrezi is an Indian Chinese cuisine and not connected to cuisines of China by any root. Jalfrezi involves few very regular steps which can be easily done by you. Marinating, Frying and then adding the fried marinade in oil and spice to produce dry and thick sauce. Jalfrezi is usually a spicy preparation but it can be adjusted as per your taste.
Well, Paneer Jalfrezi does not require margination and frying, all it needs is a quick sautéing tomato, chili and spices. The all-rounder Paneer / Cottage Cheese indeed has a lot of substitutes to go with. Unaged, acid-set and non-melting cheese is itself a quality to be appreciated. I have no words to define the art work of God, Paneer / Cottage cheese is made up of Milk. Milk is indeed the power house and the King of many such beautiful, say Chhena or Khoya. Rasmalai, Rasgulla, Sondesh, Cream Sandwich are just a number full of renowned Mithai’s/ Indian Dessert.
Coming down to the ingredients, before beginning make sure you have everything set aside uniformly on your platform. The secret key to perfect cooking is being systematic as i’ve told before 🙂 because simply it helps alot of things even getting your dish prepared quickly and dramatically tasty. Since it is Paneer Jalfrezi, we simply require Paneer.. Lol.. Jokes apart, next we need is Onions, Tomatoes, Tomato Puree, Green Chilly, Ginger, Cumin seeds, Cinnamon stick, Capsicum, Turmeric powder, Red chilli powder, Garam masala, Kasuri Methi, Oil and Ghee and finally the life of any food-Salt 🙂
You don’t have to make a huge shopping list for Paneer Jalfrezi as many of the ingredients are already available in our Indian Kitchen. Also I prefer using the Home-made tomato puree as it remains fresh and preservative free. This super lazeez (delicious) Paneer Jalfrezi is surely getting added to your favourite list. The tanginess of tomato, the spiciness of the chillies and the masalas and the blend of all in the mouth-watering Ghee is something I can’t at all express in words. Try it to believe it 🙂
I’ll now not take lot of time to discuss this straight 15 minutes recipe.
- 200 gms Paneer cut lengthwise with 1/2 inch battens
- 1/4 cup Onions finely sliced
- 1/4 cup Tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Tomato puree (I used the home-made, but canned can also be used)
- 2 teaspoon Green chillies finely chopped (you may add as per your taste and requirement)
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 Capsicum medium size, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried Fenugreek Leaves kasuri methi
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- salt to taste
- In a pan or kadhai, heat ghee and oil. Add cumin & cinnamon, allow it fry for 30 seconds.
- Add onions and sauté until soft. Add salt & mix.
- Add green chillies, ginger and garlic. Sauté for a minute until raw smell goes and they are sautéed well.
- Add tomatoes and sauté on high for a minute until they are soft.
- Add capsicum and sauté on high flame for 30 seconds
- Add puree and all the dry masala and mix. Cook for 2-3 minutes until they get cooked well and masala releases oil.
- Add paneer, kasuri methi and genty toss on high.
- Cook for just 30 seconds and it's done, all ready to be served
- Dish out and serve hot with Phulka, parathas, pulao of your choice