Mutton Biryani or Gosht Biryani – is a royal dish with beautifully spiced and fragrant layers of biryani rice centered with juicy, tender mutton and masalas.
to prepare mutton biryani recipe
- 1 kilogram, mutton on bone
- 250 grams, yoghurt, thick
- ¼ cup, birista (golden fried onions)
- 1/2 tablespoon, garam masala powder
- 2 onions, large, finely sliced
- 5 medium potatoes, cut in large cubes
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced / wedges
- 4 – 5 green chilies, slit or sliced
- 2 sticks of 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon, haldi (turmeric powder)
- 3-4 teaspoons, Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon, coriander powder
- 2 teaspoon, cumin seeds
- 8 tablespoons, oil
to grind to a paste
- 1 teaspoon, peppercorns
- 5 – 6 cardamom
- 6 – 8 cloves
- 16 – 18 garlic cloves
- 3 inches piece of ginger
- ¼ cup, coriander leaves, tightly packed
- 3 – 4 green chilies (you may adjust as per preference)
to cook rice for biryani
- 1 kilogram, long grain basmati rice (biryani rice)
- 2 – 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon, shah jeera
- 1 ½ inch cinnamon sticks
- 3 – 4 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1 tablespoon, Ghee
- 5 – 6 green cardamom
For layering mutton biryani
- ¼ cup, mint leaves
- Birista as needed
- A generous pinch of saffron soaked in 4 tablespoon milk
- 3 tablespoons, ghee
how to make mutton biryani
- To begin with, first, add all the ingredients mentioned under “to grind to paste” into a blender and blend it to a fine paste.
- Then, in a large bowl, add ground paste, 1/4 cup birista, whisked curd, and garam masala powder along with salt.
- Now, add clean and washed mutton and mix well.
- Allow the mutton to marinate for atleast 2 hours (preferably over night) under refrigeration.
to fry potatoes
- Once the mutton is ready to cook, then heat oil in a pan, add potato cubes
- Fry the potatoes until golden. Then take them out and set it aside for later use.
to prepare mutton biryani masala
- To cook mutton, heat oil in a handi
- Then add sliced onions, salt and fry until pink
- Once the onions softens, add cinnamon sticks and cumin seeds and cook
- Fry everything until onions starts picking up golden colour, do not over brown or burn it.
- Now, add marinated mutton and saute on high 5-6 minutes until raw small goes off
- Then, add red chilli powder, turmeric and coriander powder and mix. Now, add 2 cups of water, cover and cook the mutton until tender. This will take approx 50 minutes as I have made it in handi. keep stirring in between to avoid burning. If water dries up, you may add more. But you can make it pressure cooker as well to save time. Also, amke sure, if you are cooking it in pressure cooker, do not add to much water at a time. We need to cook it such that not much water is left in cooked mutton.
- Now, add tomato slices, fried potatoes and chilies and cook for another 5 minutes.
- You will see oil layer on the top, and mutton masala has not much water into it. This is the perfect mutton masala for biryani recipe. Now, carefully scoop out the layer of oil in a bowl and set it aside for later use.
to cook rice for biryani
- While the mutton cooks, clean and wash biryani rice and soak it for 45 minutes.
- In a large pot, add enough water, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, shajeera (or cumin seeds), cloves, cardamom, star anise, ghee and salt. Bring it to a boil
- Once the water starts boling, starin the soaked rice and add into boiling water
- Cook the rice until 90 percent done. Do not over cook or rice will get sticky and will break in biryani. Immediately strain the water and set the rice aside.
to layer and dum mutton biryani
- Now, in a large pot in which you want to dum biryani, add half the cooked rice as a bottom layer.
- Then, add cooked mutton evenly
- Sprinkle mint leaves, 1 tablespoon ghee, 1/2 of the soaked saffron and birista on the mutton
- Now, add the reamining rice over the mutton layer evenly,
- Then, add remaining ghee, saffron milk and reserved oil that we scooped out from the mutton masala.
- Finally, put a clean cotton cloth over the top and cover it with the lid putting heavy weight on the top of the lid. Dum the mutton biryani for 20 minutes, first on high flames for 5 minutes and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Once the biryani is done, allow it to rest for 15 minutes. Then carefully dish out, Mutton Biryani is ready to serve with raita of your choice.
Keywords: Mutton Biryani