Matar Kachori is delicious North Indian snack of crispy and flaky deep fried pastry stuffed with tangy, spicy green peas filling. This khasta peas kachori has all the crunch and flavour to hit the right spots.
- 450 grams (4 cups), maida (all purpose flour)
- 8 tablespoons, oil or ghee
- 1 teaspoon, Ajwain
- Salt to taste
- Water to knead the dough (I have used little more than ½ cup)
For kachori stuffing
- 2 & 1/2 cups, green peas (fresh or frozen), blended to coarse paste
- 2-3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 inch, ginger, grated
- ½ teaspoon, amchoor
- 1 teaspoon, garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon, red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon, kasuri methi
- ½ teaspoon, dhaniya (coriander) powder
- 1 teaspoon, cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon, Kalonji (nigella seeds)
- 1 teaspoon, fennel seeds/crushed
- ½ cup, coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1& 1/2 tablespoon, ghee or oil
- Salt To taste
- Oil for frying
how to make Matar kachori recipe
- In a blender or a processor, add peas and blend it to a coarse paste.
- In a pan or kadhai, heat ghee. Add cumin, fennel seeds and kalonji, fry for few seconds, do not burn.
- Add chopped chilies and ginger fry for another few seconds.
- Now add coarsely chopped/crushed green peas and sauté for a minute or two.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes on low. Stir in between to avoid burning.
- Add chili powder, dhaniya powder, garam masala powder, amchoor and mix. Cook for another minute. Make sure that mixture dry completely.
- Finally, add kasuri methi, mix. Allow it to cool completely.
- Add coriander leaves and mix.
To make kachori dough
- In a bowl, add flour, Ajwain, salt and mix.
- Add oil and mix it with fingers to make crumbly mixture.
- Now, add water and knead it to a soft dough. Dough need not be smooth.
- Cover with tea towel and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 19-20 equal parts (small lemon sized balls).
- Now, take one ball and roll it into 3-4 inch disc making sure that edges and slightly thinner than the centre.
- Then, place spoonful or two of filling in the centre.
- Slightly, wet the edges with water using finger and bring the edges together carefully, pinch them to seal the mixture within. Do not over stuff the filling. I placed standard measure 1 tablespoon of filling within.
- Gently roll the kachoris to 2-3 inches circle. Repeat the same for all the kachoris.
- Heat enough oil in heavy bottom pan or kadhai. Once the oil is medium hot, crefully, slide-in the kachoris few at a time and fry on medium high heat for a minutes. Then, reduce the flame to low and fry until they brown and crisp.
- Take them out on absorbant paper. Fry all the kachoris in similar manner.
- Delectable Matar Kachori is ready. Serve them with hari chutney or/and meethi chutney
Keywords: Matar Ki Kachori, Peas Kachori, Hare Matar ki Khasta Kachori