- 1 cup Toor Dal
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 Green chilies chopped
- A pinch of Hing (Asafoetida)
- 5-6 Garlic chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 3 Dried red chilies
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves
- Salt as per taste
How To Make Lucknowi Dal Recipe
- In a pressure cooker, boil the dal with green chilies, turmeric, salt and 1 and 1/2 cup of water upto 2 whistle or till done
- Do not add too much water, it will dilute the dal
- When dal is cooked, transfer it in heavy bottom pan and let it simmer on low flame
- Heat ghee in another pan, season it with cumin seed, garlic, red chilies
- Then add heeng to seasoning and immediately add into the bubbling dal
- Cover the dal immediately in order to avoid escaping fumes and aroma of tadka
- A minute later uncover the dal and add milk to the dal and let it simmer for another 2 minutes
- Adding milk to dal gives it very smooth taste.
- Dish out the dal and garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.