Gajar Ka Halwa (Carrot Halwa) is an utterly delicious traditional Indian sweet recipe made from grated red carrots that is slow cooked with ghee, milk, cardamom, sugar, and khowa, garnished with dry fruits.
to prepare carrot halwa (gajar ka halwa)
- 1 kg, red carrot, grated
- 120 g (1/2 cup) ghee
- 2 teaspoons, cardamom powder
- 150 gms, khowa/mawa
- 2 cups, full fat milk
- 1 cup, sugar (you may increase/decrease as preferred)
- ¼ cup, cashew nuts
- Slivered pistachios or almond or mixed dry fruits for garnish
- A very generous big pinch of saffron soaked in 1 tablespoon of milk (optional)
- 1/4 cup rasins
how to make gajar ka halwa recipe (carrot halwa recipe)
- Clean, wash, peel and grate the red carrots in a bowl
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat ghee.
- Add grated carrot, increase the heat and sauté well on high for 6-7 minutes stirring well.
- Reduce the heat and let it cook in ghee for another 5 minutes
- Add milk, mix and simmer on low until milk reduces and is absorbed well.
- Then, Add khowa/mawa, raisins and cashews, mix until khowa combines well
- Add saffron milk, cardamom powder, sugar and mix well till it dissolves completely
- Now, increase the heat and sauté for another 5 minutes stirring continuously
- Always use thick bottom pan or kadhai (wok) to make carrot halwa
- Keep stirring the halwa at intervals to avoid burning
- Use full fat milk to make gajar ka halwa
- if you do not have khowa/mawa available with you, then make carrot halwa with condensed milk. The above measure uses 1 tin of 400 grams for 1 kg of carrots. But, reduce the amount of sugar in this case or you can just skip it.
Keywords: Gajar Ka Halwa, Gajar Halwa, Carrot Halwa