Hyderabadi Methi Chicken Malai (Methi Murgh) is a delicately spiced, creamy and delicious curry of chicken cooked with fresh fenugreek or methi leaves. Stunningly tasty and super quick, a perfect winter dinner to keep you warm!
to prepare methi chicken
- 1 kg, chicken, cut in medium sized pieces
- 2 cups, fenugreek leaves( fresh methi), coarsely chopped
- 175 gms, yoghurt, whisked
- 3 large, tomatoes, finely chopped or finely sliced
- 2 large, onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon, garlic paste
- 3/4 tablespoon piece, ginger, paste
- 3 to 4 nos, green chillies, crushed or chopped (can be increased or decreased as needed)
- 1 teaspoon, cumin seeds
- 1&1/2 teaspoon, kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1½ teaspoon, coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon, cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon, turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon, garam masala powder
- 2 teaspoon, lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon, sugar
- 1/3 cup cream
- 5 tablespoons, oil
- Salt as per taste
- Water as required
Whole spices to cook methi chicken
- 4, green cardamom
- 8 to 10, black pepper corns
- ½ teaspoon, crushed mace
- 4-5, cloves
how to make methi chicken malai
- Firstly, heat oil in a pan.
- While the oil gets heated, add cumin seeds and allow it to crackle. Now, once the aroma of fried cumin releases, then add chopped or crushed green chili and all the whole spices and cook for few seconds
- Then, add chopped onions and saute on high heat for a minute. Fry until they just pick the golden colour. At the same time, be sure to not to over brown the onions.
- So, now, its time to add chicken, tomatoes, ginger garlic paste, saute them well on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Once the chicken and spices combines well together, reduce the heat and add whisked yoghurt. Immediately stir well till the yoghurt combines well.
- Then, add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, salt and water. Cover and simmer for 6-7 minutes or until the chicken is tender
- Add fenugreek leaves (methi) and lemon juice and cook on high for another minute or 2.
- Finally, add cream, garam masala powder and sugar. Mix everything together and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Delicately spiced delicious Methi Chicken is ready to serve.
- To avoid splitting of yogurt, you can add a teaspoon of cornflour and whisk well before adding it to recipe.
- If you want thin gravy more warm water can be added.
- You can use boneless chicken to make this recipe.
- To make methi chicken dry, do not add water to the recipe and allow the chicken to cook in its own juice until it reaches its required consistency.
Keywords: Methi Chicken Malai, Hyderabadi Methi Chicken, Methi Murgh