💓 We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories !
Have you tried this “Pav Bhaji Recipe“? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.
Mumbai Pav Bhaji Recipe Card
for preparation of pav bhaji recipe
- 4 (500 gms) Potatoes medium sized, (boiled for stove top version and raw for IP version)
- 1 cup (125 gms) Cauliflower florets
- 1 ¼ cup Green peas (hari matar)
- 1 cup (125 gms) Capsicum (3/4 cup sliced and 1/4 cup chopped for stove top version)
- ¼ cup Beetroot (optional) chopped (i have added it in instant pot version only for the deeper colour)
- 1 tbsp Garlic paste
- 3 (300 gms) Tomatoes large size, finely chopped
- 2 (200 gms) Onions large, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Green chilies finely chopped or paste
- 1 tbsp Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- 5 tbsp Pav bhaji masala
- 2 tsp Dried Fenugreek Leaves kasuri methi
- 5 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
To serve pav bhaji
- Buttered pav
- Chopped onions
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Lemon wedges
- Blobs of butter
how to make the pav bhaji on stove top
- In a pressure cooker, add cauliflower, peas and capsicum along with a cup of water. Pressure cook the vegetables until done.
- Strain the veggies and reserve the water aside for later use.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a pan, add boiled veggies and toss well.
- Add boiled potatoes, 2 tbsps pav bhaji masala and 1 tsp of kasuri methi and mix.
- Mash the veggies with the help of masher, take it off the heat and set it aside.
- In another pan or a kadhai, heat butter and oil together.
- Add garlic paste and green chilies. Now, fry them for few seconds, do not burn.
- Add finely chopped capsicum and saute for 30 seconds.
- Now, add chopped onions and saute on high until soft.
- Add tomatoes, red chili powder, salt and remaining pav bhaji masala and mix everything well. Cook until tomatoes softens well and it starts releasing oil.
- Add cooked mashed veggies and few tablespoons of reserved water. Mix everything well.
- Bring it to a boil and smash the veggies using masher to get required consistency. You may add more water if needed. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add kasuri methi and mix. Cook for another minute. If you wish, you may add some more blobs of butter. Bhaji is ready to serve.
How to make pav bhaji recipe in Instant pot or pressure cooker
- Switch on the IP and press sauté button.
- Heat, 2 tbsps oil and 3 tbsps of butter together.
- Add 1 cup of sliced or chopped capsicum, garlic paste, green chili paste and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped onions and sauté for 1 minute or until onions are soft and pink.
- Add chopped beetroot, tomatoes, Kashmiri red chilli powder and 2 tbsp of pav bhaji masala powder. Sauté for another minute.
- Add, peas, cauliflower florets and cubed potatoes, mix. Add 1 cup of water and salt to the pot and stir once.
- Close the pot with valve in sealing position, cancel sauté button and press manual/pressure cook button. Pressure cook the veggies for 8 minutes on high pressure. (In a traditional pressure cooker, cook for 2-3 whistles on high flame and then simmer for 6-7 minutes on low)
- Once the IP beeps, allow the pressure to release naturally until the silver pin drops.
- Carefully open the lid, and with the help of masher or immersion blender, smash the bhaji.
- Switch on the sauté mode again, add kasuri methi, remaining 3 tbsp of pav bhaji masala, and check for the salt. If you feel bhaji is too thick, then add little water and allow it to simmer for a minute or two. Add the remaining butter and give it a quick mix.
- Bhaji is ready to serve.
To fry the pav
- To make buttered pav, slit the pav first. Then, heat the tawa or pan and melt butter on it. Sprinkle some pav bhaji masala (optional step). Then fry the pav from both the sides. Serve it with bhaji.
To serve pav bhaji
- Dish out the ladlefull of bhaji on a seving plate and top it with a blob of butter. Serve it with buttered pav along with chopped onions and lemon wedges on the side.
- Cups and spoons measure used in the recipe are as per the American standard.
- You can adjust the spiciness of the bhaji as per to suit your taste. If you wish to make mild bhaji, then reduce the amount of spice powders accordingly.
- Always use Kashmiri red chilli powder to enhance the colour of the bhaji. You can also use Cayenne or regular red chili powder.
- Adjust the consistency of the pav bhaji gravy as per your liking. Some like it dry and some like it to be with gravy. So go on ahead and add water accordingly to the gravy.
- You can add beetroot for deeper red colour. But do not add too much, 1/4 cup is fine for the above measure.
- You can serve pav bhaji as a snacks, breakfast, lunch and even dinner.
- Do not compromise on butter, add it generously to the bhaji.
- If you wish to make bhaji in oil, you can surely go ahead with it. However, the authentic taste of the pav bhaji from the streets of mumbai can be achieved only when cooked in butter.
- Kasuri Methi is key ingredient to enhance the flavour of the bhaji, so do not skip it.
- Always top the bhaji with loads of chopped onions, fresh cilantro, and squeeze the lemon generously to the best taste.
- To make vegan pav bhaji, replace dairy butter with vegan butter and proceed.
- In this recipe, I have not added any food colour, but if you wish to get brighter red color, you can add a pinch of red food color to the bhaji.